17. Best Friends

Johnny

After school lauren and I waited for Mackenzie to come to the car and when she did she looked.....horrible. Her hair was messy and her clothes were rumpled. Her face was streaked with dry tears and she was walking as if someone was watching her. Lauren and I exchanged a look and I knew we were wondering the same things. Where the hell did she go today? She wasn't at lunch or in any of her classes after fourth period. What the hell happened to her? Why does she look like she just got run over by a truck? When she got close to us I decided to ask her. "Where did you go today?" She didn't even look at me as she walked past me and into the backseat of my car. Lauren and I exchanged another glance before climbing into the car as well.

The whole ride home was quiet except for the occasional sniffle from the backseat. I would look at mackenzie in the top mirror but she looked out the window the whole time. When we reached our house she got out immediately and walked into the house without saying anything to us. Lauren and I walked in together and as soon as we did I asked her a question I knew she couldn't answer. "What the hell happened?" she looked at me and crossed her arms. I sighed and sat down on the couch with lauren following me. "Should we ask her?" I asked and she sighed. "I'm not sure. I don't know if she'll tell us or not." I nodded knowing that what she was saying was true. "Well, I'm going to try anyway, you comin'?" and she nodded before we both made our way upstairs and to Mackenzie's room.

We waited for Mackenzie to get out of the shower and to get dressed before we entered her room again. She was laying in her bed with a red t shirt and black sweatpants on, doing nothing. Lauren sat on the edge of her bed while I took the chair by the desk. Lauren decided to start off the conversation with a question. "Kenz, where did you go today?" We waited for her to answer but she didn't, even after a few minutes of silence. "Mackenzie we can only help you if you answer us." Lauren stated and reached over to touch Mackenzie but stopped suddenly and her eyes darted towards mine. At first I had no idea why my sister was looking at me like she has just seen a ghost but when I stood up abruptly to see what she was looking at, Mackenzie jumped away from me and hit her head on the headboard. I rushed over to her to see if she was okay but it seemed to scare her even more by the look of fear in her brown eyes. And that's when I saw it. Her right arm had a bruise on it that resembled the look of a hand like someone had held onto her for dear life. One look at Lauren told me that that's what she was trying to show me. I looked back to Mackenzie and saw her staring at nothing with a look in her eyes that made them look empty, as if she had no life in her. "Mackenzie who did that to you?" I asked worriedly. She slowly looked up to me and in the most hollow voice I've ever heard said, "No one." I held her stare for as long as she looked at me before she got under the blankets and closed her eyes after she got comfortable. She opened them right after though and covered her face with her hands, that's when I noticed the bruising of her knuckles on her right hand. Had she gotten into a fight? She turned her face into the pillow so we couldn't see her and kept her eyes open as if she had to make sure nothing would happen. I have no idea what to do right now, I have no idea what happened, I have no idea who hurt her, but it was obvious that someone had. The first person I thought of was Nadia, and my blood boiled at the thought of her hurting Mackenzie. Then I thought about Hayden hurting her and it was worse than Nadia. But didn't hayden get sent away? I stood up and walked out of the room before I let my anger get the best of me. I can't yell at her, it's not her fault. I don't know what happened but it's not her fault. I don't know what happened but I intend to find out.

Mackenzie

I can't get the feeling of him off me no matter what I do. I showered twice, changed my clothes, everything. But nothing is working. I really thought he was gone for good, I thought that I could finally get over it, I thought that after everything, I could finally live on, but no. He's back, he still wants me, he's going to keep getting me. After Johnny and Lauren left I cried my eyes out until I had no tears left to cry. (A/N: haha)