23. The Party

Johnny

I nearly choked on my soda as Hayden slapped Conner across the face with a slice of pizza. "Fuck you Hayhoe!" Conner shouted and threw a chicken wing at Hayden. Mackenzie laughed next to me and my heart fluttered at the sound of it. We all stayed home today and organized a plan for our departure. Mackenzie and I stayed up all night talking about it and other things too like our interests, hobbies, strengths. She's really good at baseball apparently too and I challenged her to a game which she eagerly accepted. Maybe I don't know what I got myself into. But I learned a lot about her last night and she learned a lot about me too. It was the best night if my life, sitting around talking to the most beautiful girl in the world, laughing non stop and drinking coffee. Then hanging out with good people after that. I'm glad that we're all bonding, it really feels like we're a group of old friends. I talked with Hayden and Conner and we're all chill now so that's good. As everyone was laughing at a comment Annie made about Brynn I looked at everyone around me and smiled wider than ever before, especially when I looked down at my hand intertwined with Mackenzie's under the table like it had been for the last hour. Her hand is so soft and warm and small it practically drowns in mine. She had taken a hold of my hand first and when she did I swear my happiness soared higher than anyone on drugs. We had decided that we weren't going to tell anyone that we're leaving. Our parents most likely wouldn't even notice until the school reported us absent for awhile. Mackenzie told us about her sister, Maddie, and how she ran away too. We all talked it over and we are definitely going to find her no matter what it takes. We don't really have a solid plan yet like what our end goal is or where we're going but we have a lot of time to figure it out. I was snapped out of my trance when I felt Mackenzie lightly squeeze my hand. I looked at her and into her beautiful brown orbs that were staring back at me. "Are you alright?" she asked and I nodded, sending her a smile. She smiled back before we both jumped at the sound of someone's scream. "JENZIE!!" I looked across the table to where it came from and saw Brynn and Annie laughing. I looked to Mackenzie for an answer but she had a confused look on her face that I'm sure I was sporting as well. "What's a jenzie?" she asked which got Hayden and Conner laughing as well. Mackenzie and I looked at each other again before shrugging and biting into our pizza slices.

Later that day we were all sitting in the Starbucks sipping our drinks and talking about the plan when I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. I frowned and let go of mackenzie's hand that id been holding to answer it. She looked at me confused but when she saw the phone she smiled and put her hand on my leg. I swear she set it on fire with just a simple touch. "H-hello?" I answered with a stutter due to Mackenzie's hand placement. "Yo dude!" Carson's voice said through my phone, "Brandon's throwing a huge party tonight for his brother Hunters return. Wanna go?" I frowned at this new information but decided to ask the group. "Hey, do you guys wanna go to a party tonight?" I asked and they all looked at me with grins on their faces. "I think I can speak for all of us when I say hells yeah!" Annie exclaimed and everyone else chuckled and agreed. Mackenzie shifted uncomfortably in her seat next to me so I switched my phone over to my other hand and took a hold of hers again which made her look up at me and smile. "Sure, Carson, I'd love to go. But I'm bringing a few people is that alright?"

"Hell yeah that's okay. The more the merrier am I right?" he said and I laughed. "Yeah, see you later then." I replied before ending the call and shoving my phone back into my pocket, turning my attention back to the conversation about socks my friends were having.

"Is this alright?" I asked Lauren, turning around to face her. I had on a yellow and white striped t shirt, a leather jacket, black ripped jeans, and black Jordan 5's. She glanced up at me from her seat on my bed and nodded. "Yeah John you look fine." I rolled my eyes and sighed before grabbing my wallet and phone. "I'll just ask Mackenzie then." I said before opening my room door. "Of course you will," Lauren replied with a smirk. I just rolled my eyes and made my way to Mackenzie's room.