18. What The Hell Just Happened?

Mackenzie

I woke up the next morning and groaned before heading over to the shower. I couldn't sleep the entire night. I tossed and turned the whole time because I still felt him on me, inside me. Still heard his voice in my ears and his weight crushing me. Whenever I closed my eyes I saw him, and I just can't get it to go away.

After my shower I put on light blue skinny jeans, a yellow long sleeve shirt then a black hoodie on over it. I grabbed my dad's Yankees snapback then left my room, allowing my hair to naturally air dry under the hat. I sat down at the kitchen table before pulling my phone out from my pocket to see a text from Hayden.

Hayden- Do you need a ride to school?

I replied with a yes before I switched over to a group chat with Annie and Brynn. There were countless texts asking where I went yesterday, if I'm okay, do I want them to come over, and lots more. I sighed and texted back telling them I'm fine before going over to Wattpad and proceeding to read my current book.

Johnny

She looks so cute, I thought to myself. As I made my way into the kitchen I found Mackenzie slumped over the table, asleep. Did she sleep here all night? Surely not, she's in different clothes from yesterday. I sighed before walking over and shaking her lightly. "Kenz, hey, you've gotta wake up." I said softly. She groaned and stirred a little bit before her eyes fluttered open and looked up at me. As soon as her brown orbs set sight on me she jumped back quickly and fell back onto the floor. She looked like she'd seen a ghost as she continued to stare at me while moving back before she came to a stop courtesy of the wall. "Are you alright?" I asked, voice laced in worry. She continued to look at me with that scary look in her eye, only now she was visibly shaking. I took a step towards her and she tried to move back but failed due to the wall behind her. What the hell is going on here? I took another step closer and the fear and panic in her eyes seemed to get worse, along with her breathing that was fast before turning into full on hyperventilation. As I took one last step toward her so that I was right in front of her, tears fell down her cheeks and she buried her face into her knees that she'd pulled up to her chest. I kneeled down in front of her and reached out to grab her hand but was stopped at the sound of a knock at the door. I ignored it and decided to try and help Mackenzie. "Mackenzie what's wrong? It's just me, Johnny." I said and grabbed her hand. She whimpered and flinched back at the contact but my hand was still wrapped around her wrist as Lauren came running down the stairs and swung the door open, only to cross her arms across her chest and take a step back at the person who was there. I didn't know who it was until Lauren spoke up. "Hayden, what the hell are you doing here?" she sneered. Hayden? What the hell IS he doing here?! Is he the reason why Mackenzie is curled into a ball of fear?

"Lauren, please I'm just here for-" As he stepped into the doorway he turned his head to me which cut his sentence short. "Mackenzie?" he said and ran over to where I was with Mackenzie. "What the hell are you doing?!" he yelled and ripped me away from Mackenzie. I stumbled back by the force of his shove and he fell to his knees in front of her. Anger burbled up inside of me as he took her hands away from her head and gently caressed her cast and knuckles.

"KZ, it's okay. It's me." he whispered. KZ? What is that, some kind of nickname? What the hell is going on here? Why is he here? I hadn't realized I was saying this out loud until Hayden quickly shot me a glare before turning his attention back to Mackenzie. "Kenzie I need you to calm down. Try to control your breathing. Inhale when I say one, and exhale when I say two." he spoke so calmly that I couldn't even believe that this was the same Hayden who was shouting insults at Mackenzie just a few days ago. He proceeded to repeat the two numbers over and over in a slow pace until Mackenzie's breathing evened out. She slowly lifted up her head to look at Hayden and when she did I saw how red and tear stained it was. She looked completely broken and there was nothing I could do about it except let myself drown in my own feelings. "You're alright," Hayden whispered. "He can't hurt you." Huh? Who's he? Is he talking about me? Mackenzie weakly nodded her head and closed her eyes as Hayden moved next to her and pulled her into a strong embrace. He sat there and held her for awhile until her sniffling and heaving subsided completely. I hadn't even noticed that Lauren was next to me until I looked to my right and saw her standing there staring at the pair on the floor with the same look that I could imagine I was showing as well. "What happened?" I asked suddenly trying to understand what just happened. Hayden opened his eyes and looked at me before responding. "I can't tell you." he said and I felt my anger skyrocket. "What the hell do you mean 'I can't tell you'?"

I yelled. Hayden's eyes darkened at my tone and I saw his jaw clench. "Stop yelling, right now. I can't tell you because it's not about me. " he said calmly, yet angrily. "Stop acting like a jerk and lets take care of something that we can." He tightened his arms around Mackenzie and I causing help but feel jealous. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, trying to get a grip on my emotions before opening my eyes again to see Hayden helping Mackenzie up. She avoided eye contact with us as she stood next to Hayden. She slipped her hand in his and looked at him with a pleading look. "We have to go." he said and turned to walk away but I grabbed his shirt, causing him to come to a halt. "When the hell do you think you're going? And why the hell do you think we're going to let you take her with you?" Lauren said from beside me, surprising all of us with the anger in her voice. "We're going to school." he started, "And Mackenzie is coming with me because she wants to and needs to." I looked at Mackenzie who's eyes were trained on her shoes. "Kenz?" I asked, bit quite believing what Hayden was saying. "Is he forcing you?" I asked a little angry. She slowly looked up at me and shook her head no. "Please?" Hayden said. "Please don't make this hard. I'm not leaving without Mackenzie unless she wants to stay. I promise I'm not hurting her, I'm helping her." I looked to Mackenzie once again and she nodded before moving closer to Hayden, farther away from me. Ouch. Not only did that hurt but it felt like a slap to the face when they disappeared through the door and closed the door behind them. We stayed in silence for a moment before Lauren turned to me, "What the hell just happened?"