Eagerness [A]

Later that Evening    

As I'm taking the chicken off the stove I hear the kitchen door open and chirp, "Welcome home, Darling."

He hangs up his scarf and coat before walking over and embracing me from behind, giving me a quick kiss on the cheek, "Hello, Love. I see that Mary and Rosie have gone."

"Mm? Yeah, bedtime for Rosie. Go wash up, I'll have everything ready when you're out."

"Very well." We share a kiss and then he goes to clean up. I finish laying the table and make sure all the appliances are off. And put things away without disturbing any of his experiments. I remind myself. It might still take a while before I get accustomed to seeing body parts in the fridge and freezer.

By the time Sherlock emerges, sporting his blue dressing gown instead of the blazer, everything is ready and we both sit down for dinner. After tucking in I ask, "So, did you get the case solved, Darl?"

"Yes. It was a rather grotesque scene. Guy shoved his cheating partner over the edge of the platform on the Tube in front of a train and tried to make it look like it was an accident by way of alcohol. He had everything figured out down to the security cameras and the Yard believed his story."

"Until you got there with John?"

"Mm. Naturally."

"And I suppose Donovan was as pleasant as ever?" He almost, almost snorts.

"If by pleasant you mean annoying, then yes as pleasant as ever," We both laugh, "But, overall, another day of success. And you?"

"Same, although I felt like a Mallard most of the day. Once the Watson's left I finally got a quick shower."

"Yes, so I noticed. Although you did not look as ragged as you want to think you did," I give him a look and he presses, "I will not lie to you about those things, remember? I always speak the objective, logical truth." We match gazes and hold them for several seconds before I give in with a sigh.

"Alright, fine, you win." He nods in approval and we continue our dinner.

It isn't until after we've cleaned up the kitchen and gotten ready for bed that Sherlock asks about my visit with Mary.

"Mary was remarkably eager to talk to you in private. What did you chat about besides her pregnancy?"

I turn from the mirror on top of the dresser, "What do you mean?"

"She told you about my deducing her first pregnancy with Rosie didn't she?"

"Yeah. According to Mary, at their wedding reception you slipped up while making a short speech and then advised her to take a test after listing symptoms." I confirm before turning back to the mirror to finish brushing out my hair.

"... Mary said something to the effect of hoping I wouldn't do the same thing with you, which was what prompted it wasn't it."

Sighing, I set my brush down and then make my way to bed. Sherlock lifts the covers for me and I slide under them, cuddling up to him. I tilt my head to better look at him, since my head's cushioned on his arm. It's better to just talk about it instead of glossing over it, "She said something to that effect. Is there something on your mind relating to it, Honey?" He hums lowly, moving his fingers over my shoulder.

"John brought it up with me too while everyone else was talking with Mary. He'll never let me live it down. They often say I ruined it for them... I've never been fully able to decide whether they mean it in jest or sincerity."

"Of course they mean it in jest, Sherlock. You can't always help your deductions and they know that. They don't hate you for telling them, and I know they appreciate that you didn't blurt it out that Mary was pregnant this time."

"But I ruined it for them. It could have been a great, intimate moment for them to have discovered Rosie's presence on their own, and I took that experience away from them."

"Oh, Sweetie,.." I hug him tighter, "Just what are you trying to say, Darling?"

He inhales an uneasy breath, "Now that Mary's expecting another baby Watson, everyone else is going to be watching us. John told me that he would find it funny if it happened around the same time as theirs. No one would be surprised or shocked if you got pregnant soon. Everyone is eager for a baby Holmes to join the ranks. And it isn't like we aren't financially stable- we're well established already so logically we can support and provide for a child..."

"But are you eager for one, Sherlock?"

"Aren't you?"

"Of course I want to have children, Sherlock. We've gone over this. Now do I necessarily want to try and get pregnant right now? Not really. We just got married and we should be able to cherish it for a while longer. What about you?"

"I do want children, Adelaide. I don't necessarily mind when. If you're not ready to actively try for one I support you. I want to enjoy our time as a family of two as well. But when it does happen,.. I don't want to take away the opportunity for you to find out on your own like I did for the Watsons." And there it is.

"You're worried about ruining the surprise for me?"

"For us both." Neither of says anything else for a minute.

Finally I cup his cheek, "Sherlock, if I do get pregnant and you manage to deduce it before I recognize any symptoms, I'm not going to be mad about it."

"Why not?"

"Because you're my husband and it'll be our baby. It's not like telling your best friend and his wife that she's pregnant. As long as you don't blurt it out in public or in company, then I'll be fine, alright?"

He smiles gently and nuzzles my cheek, "Alright. Thank you, Angel." We share a kiss before turning off the lamps and contentedly snuggling back up together.

Love y'all! Thank you for over 700 reads already!! 😆😘