Watson Wonders [A]

Late-November

"Oi, Teddy! Stop!" I chide while keeping a firm hold on the leash, planting my feet to prevent the nearly full grown Doberman from pulling me any further. He finally snaps to attention and stops, turning back to look at me, "Good boy, Teddy. Stay."

"Would you like me to walk him the rest of the way, Love?" Sherlock asks, "He's picking up on our anticipation and we're taking him down a new street with new-"

"I know why he's hyped up, Sherlock. I'm fine walking Teddy."

"He has grown by a good measure in the past month and he could easily topple you, Love."

"It's all about being the alpha, Darling. If I can't maintain that authority with Teddy then training is going to be much harder. Same goes for you and Missus Hudson," I assure with a determined smile, "And Teddy isn't the largest dog I've handled. I've got this, alright?"

"Alright."

I readjust my grip and then we continue on to the suburbs. The Watsons invited us over for dinner and asked specifically for us to bring Teddy so that he can play with Rosie. Of course we couldn't refuse that offer. Plus, Sherlock hinted that they have yet another announcement for us regarding the new baby and I'm excited to hear what it is. Probably the gender. But wouldn't they announce it to the entire circle, not just us?

Rather than musing about it further, I refocus my thoughts on Teddy and keeping him away from puddles. Sherlock strides alongside me, slipping an arm halfway around my waist. I look up for a moment and he smiles down at me, pecking a quick kiss on my temple. I giggle, "You've been in a rather sweet mood all day."

"It's been an uncommonly good one. I solved the Deli Case, your research project has been awarded several high marks, and Teddy has learned the play dead command. Quite enough to evoke such high spirits."

"Mmm."

We finally arrive at the Watsons' and are met at the door by John and Rosie, who peeks around her father's legs and squeals with joy when she sees Teddy. John lets us in and the puppy is unleashed for playtime while the rest of us adults chat. I lay the table and help Mary carry out dinner before we all sit down together to eat.

After getting through the main meal and bringing out ice cream for dessert, Mary clears her throat, "Before we get to the sweets, we did want you to come over so we could tell you guys something."

"I was correct. You have an announcement regarding the baby." Sherlock chirps. We all chuckle and then Mary continues, grasping John's hand.

"Yes. It is about them. Well, we went to have our regular scan and we decided to ask about the gender. A little late, you know, but we wanted to be prepared for either a boy or a girl."

"Why haven't you invited the others then?"

"Because we wanted to discuss something with you two first," John answers and inhales almost sharply, "You both have agreed to be the godparents for this baby and we felt it would be good to bring this all up without the others around."

"Go on." Sherlock and I urge.

Mary smiles and continues, "The doctor said it's a boy this time! We just wanted to check with you guys and make sure it'd be alright if he was Sherlock's namesake."

I look over at my husband who has deadpanned. I grab his hand, "Darl, aren't you going to respond?"

That gets him out of it and he clears his throat, nodding, "O-Of course. Of course I'm fine with you naming him after me. Just don't misspell anything on the certificate."

"We won't, Sherlock, don't worry," John reassures, "Now, this ice cream's not going to eat itself. Come on then."

After helping clean up I head to the loo and when I come out I find a rather amusing sight in the living room involving Teddy, Sherlock, John and Rosie all rough-housing on the floor. I stand next to Mary and she leans over, "Imagine how much ruckus it will be when there's two more in that bunch..."

I can't even withhold the chuckle and I shake my head with a smile, "We've still got sometime before these rough housers gain new participants. It'll fly by, though."

Mary nods and hums, "It does. It really does."

Thank you for reading! 😘😘 I love you all!!

Keep your eyes peeled for when I publish my next Sherlock fanfiction; Asylum.

It should be out this weekend!