The Get-Together[A]

Christmas Day

"Do we have to, Adelaide?"

"Yes, Sherlock. Besides, you don't have to speak to Mycroft if you don't want to. There will be plenty of other people there. We invited the Watsons, remember?"

"The last time we had Christmas dinner, I drugged almost everyone so that we could steal Mycroft's laptop and meet with Magnussen which ended with me shooting him. I would much rather stay here with you and Teddy. Alone."

"We haven't seen your parents or my family since the reception, Sherlock. We've been planning this for a while. We don't have to stay very late either- just through dessert."

He sighs and relents, "Fine. Only as long as we're back before nightfall. I can only handle so much familial contact," He grimaces, "Don't tell Finley I said that."

"I won't. Don't worry, I feel the same way. Now come on."

Sherlock and I let Teddy out first and then get out of the cab, pay the cabbie, and approach Sherlock's parent's home. The closer we get the more we hear from inside- music, conversation, and laughter- which is amplified when Violet opens the door with a wide grin, "Merry Christmas!!"

"Merry Christmas, Violet!" I reply brightly and we hug. Sherlock holds Teddy back and greets his Mum before letting Teddy meet her. She chuckles as he leaps up and gives her a hug and a few doggy kisses. After meeting her, Teddy pulls to go and see everyone else so we step inside. After hanging up our winter clothes we let him off leash and start greeting the others. Nan, Pop, and Mark give big, warm hugs to both of us and are over the moon when they get Teddy's signature kisses and hugs. Mark keeps his distance from Teddy but with so many other people, our pink-nosed pup doesn't mind. It works well for Sherlock and I because we aren't immediately bombarded with questions, which is a relief. Sherlock, however, is much happier once the Watsons arrive. 

Since it's still a while before dinner, I opt to help out with dinner and join Violet, Nan, and Mary in the kitchen. Teddy trots around us as we work, nose in the air to catch every yummy scent. More than once we catch him suspiciously close to the food with an equally suspect expression. After the third time, I call for Sherlock and Rosie to take him outside and burn off some energy. When next I look out of the windows, I find that almost everyone else is outside playing catch and chase with Teddy, "He sure does seem intelligent." Violet remarks. 

I nod, "Dobermans are one of the world's most intelligent breeds. Teddy is no exception. Of course, it does make it a challenge since he can also be very stubborn when it comes to training. Given the chance it would be the other way around- he'd be training us."

"His cuteness makes it harder too, I bet." Mary chirps.

"Oh yes. He has killer puppy eyes and plays the cute card a lot when he's in trouble." We all chuckle and I turn around to get a couple pies out of the oven. The convective heat escapes as I open the door and blasts my face with hot air. While I expected it, I didn't expect it to be so smothering. I blink my eyes and cough a bit while I extract the baked goodies. Must be because I haven't used this oven before. As quickly as possible, I set the pies down on the counter and close the oven back up. Yeah, it must just be the oven. Plus with all the rest of the cooking, the kitchen is pretty hot already.

"Are you alright, Adelaide?" Nan asks when she sees me fanning my face and puffing out. 

"Yes, I'm fine, Nan. The oven just took me off guard." 

"The oven?" 

"Yeah. I'm fine though." 

"Alright..." She shrugs it off and I return to my previous task, humming as I go. The smothered feeling dissipates in a few moments anyway. See? It was the oven. 

In a short while, we all gather for dinner. It's packed of course but we make it work, Teddy included. I end up in between Sherlock and Finley. It's tight but cozy. And once we're all settled with food on our plates then the closeness doesn't matter. Stories all around, jokes, playful banter- minus the Christmas jumpers, decorations, and music, it's just a lively family get together. Not even the British government and consulting detective can keep straight faces for long. 

Sherlock endeavors throughout the entire meal to steal as many kisses as possible. I don't mind, but each time he sneaks one I know it's a subtle reminder of our earlier agreement. However, eventually, Sherlock loosens up with a little help from John and the food and seems less ready to dash back home.  

Once dinner's all done, everyone gets up to help clean up. I stand quickly and pick up two nearly licked clean pans that had held rolls and walk out of the dining room to the kitchen. 

Then a wave of heat hits me and my head suddenly feels extremely light. I take a breath and blink. I hope we didn't leave the oven on.

Thank you for reading!! I love you all!! 😘

Shout-outs to: spoopyperson1992 , mmkn2005 , iamsherlocked64 and charityisirrelivant! Love you guys!! ❤💕😘