Rosie's Questions [A]

The Next Day

I hear Rosie and Sherlock roughing around with Teddy as I walk up the stairs, having just gotten home from work. The new big sister is staying with us through the rest of the week so that Mary and John can take it easy with baby Alexander; getting him settled and adjusting to new routines, as well as recovery for the new Mum of two.  Rosie was quite confused yesterday and this morning when we had to explain why she was staying with me and Sherlock instead of going home with her parents. But from what I can tell, she's either understood or has been having so much fun that she was distracted from it. 

I slip in through the kitchen to drop off my bags, shoes, and jacket in the bedroom, calling out my arrival on the way. Teddy forgets playtime for a moment and torpedoes into the bedroom, launching onto the bed to greet me, "Hey, Proton, did you miss me?" I chuckle as I scratch his ears and receive doggy kisses in return, accompanied by the avid wagging of his tail-nub. Once he's satisfied he gives me his typical once over for strange new smells while I finish up putting my things away. Then he follows me back out to the living room where Rosie rushes up and hugs my legs, "Hello, Rosie!"

"Ada!!"

I bend down to return the hug and look over at Sherlock, who is sitting on the floor in the midst of several of Teddy's toys. He greets me warmly, "Welcome home, Lovey. Another good day at the Museum, I see?"

"Yes. Mostly desk work today but nothing too boring. And it looks like you and Rosie have had a good day as well, Teddy included," I reply as Rosie detaches, refocusing on Teddy. I pad over to my husband and sit down beside him, leaning over for a couple kisses, "Any cases?"

He shakes his head, "None. It seems the criminal classes are taking a spring holiday. It works out though, since Rosie is staying here. We spent most of our day out with Teddy."

"That's good to hear."

Sherlock slips his arm around my hips and brushes over the baby bump, "Any flutters?" He asks hopefully.

"Nothing distinctive yet..." He frowns and I kiss his cheek, "Relax. You'll be the first to know once I feel the first one."

He is about to say something when Rosie suddenly plops into my lap, blonde curls bouncing wildly. Sherlock immediately grasps her and peels her off of me, "Do not jump onto Adelaide, Rosie!"

While I understand why he reacted so quickly, Rosie doesn't and she, being a kid, asks the famous question.

"Why?"

"Because you could hurt her."

"Why?!"

Before he gets too frustrated, I pipe up, "He's just worried that you could  hurt me or the baby by jumping onto my lap, Rosie. We don't want you to hurt yourself either, so please don't jump like that, alright?"

Rosie absorbs the statement with a curious stare and then chirps, "Ohh!! Okay!!" She jumps up from Sherlock's lap and races back over to me, throwing her chubby arms around my neck. I give Sherlock a look and he rolls his eyes dramatically. Rosie then detaches and returns to playing with Teddy, carefree as always.

Sherlock stands and gently helps me to my feet as well, "If Rosie's this inquisitive, then I fear our own daughter will be even more of a challenge."

"Questions are good though, Sherlock. And I know she'll ask questions that even you can answer."

He smiles gently and pecks a kiss on my nose, "I just hope she doesn't take too much after me. Hopefully she'll inherit your good sense and insight," We both chuckle and share another quick kiss, "Go ahead and relax, Adelaide. I'll take care of dinner, alright?"

"You sure..?"

"Positive, Love. Entertain Rosie and Teddy. I'm sure you've taught me well enough that I can manage a simple meal," He moves towards the kitchen and gestures to the chairs, "Get off your feet, Angel. Don't worry. I can handle it."

"Alright, Sherlock. Thank you." I concede and soon cuddle down into my silver velvet chair to monitor Rosie and Teddy's playtime. It amazes me how gentle and watchful he is around her. If that's any indication, he'll do wonderfully with our baby girl once she arrives.  The thought makes me grin to myself.

In my revelry I hear the smoke detector go off and sigh. Sherlock quickly rattles off assurances that he has everything under control. I giggle to myself and shake my head, getting up to make sure we still have a functioning kitchen. At least there's still some time yet to work with him on not torching the food or the flat in the process.

Love y'all!! 😘❤ Thank you so much for reading!! Please check out my other Sherlock fanfiction "Asylum" if you haven't already and let me know how you like it! Ta!