Perfect

The Next Morning

Sherlock and Adelaide had been sleeping somewhat restful when Mirabella's cries of distress roused them up. The new parents jolted awake and they tried to untangle themselves as they simultaneously rushed to check on their daughter. Finally, he managed to detach himself and pressed a kiss against his wife's lips, "I will get her, Love."

"Alright, Honey..."

The Detective got out of bed and padded to the bassinet, grabbing his dressing gown on the way. Without raising his voice he cooed to the whimpering baby, "It's alright, Little One, I am here. Shh..," He reached down and lifted her up to his chest, rearranging her blankets and hat as he blinked lingering fatigue from his eyes and began assessing the situation. It didn't take but a few seconds to determine she was just a little fussy and needed a cuddle. Easily remedied.

He rocked her a bit as he carried her quietly to Adelaide who had already propped herself up on pillows. She reached out and he deposited Mirabella in her arms, then quietly observed the maternal bond at work. After a minute of silence he rubbed his eyes, realizing that it was six thirty. Adelaide saw and asked, "Would you mind fixing breakfast, Darling?"

"Of course, Love."

They shared a quick kiss and he let Teddy out before making his way to the kitchen. After taking the energetic Doberman out, he fed him and then set about preparing the morning meal.

Sherlock put the kettle on for some dearly missed, non-decaf tea and then decided on simple eggs and toast. Best not to agitate Adelaide's stomach with as many medications as she's taking. Need to set those out too... Missus Hudson brought up a fresh loaf of bread for the toast as well as a selection of her home baked muffins before heading out to the shops. The consulting detective asked her to pick up a few groceries for the fridge as most of it had spoiled and then went on with scrambling eggs and setting the table.

Adelaide, meanwhile, finished the feeding and got the little girl changed and dressed in a fresh onesie and cap, disregarding the ghastly pain in her abdomen and legs, since she was still recovering from both surgery and childbirth. She grit her teeth and ignored it as well as she could, not wanting to worry her hypervigilant husband and lose the opportunity to have some solo time with Mirabella.

At last, she threw on her dressing gown and emerged from the bedroom to find that the table had been laid and even decorated with a vase of fresh, summery flowers. But, as she had almost expected, Sherlock was having a fuss with the eggs and he didn't notice her presence until he accidentally launched half of them out onto the countertop and heard her stifle an amused snort. His face flushed pink from embarrassment before cooling into an easy smile, seeing her burst into laughter.

"Sh-Sherlock, honey, you want some help with those eggs before you toss the other half out?"  She finally managed to say. He chuckled and shook his head.

"No, I'll manage, Lovey. Go on and sit. I set out the medications and a cuppa for you."

"Alright," She gave him a peck and then slowly let herself down into her chair, still holding Mirabella, "Thank you, Darling."

"No need, Angel."

Soon enough, the eggs were plated up and Sherlock relieved her, taking Mirabella with him to his seat so Adelaide could focus on eating since he'd grazed around while cooking (a few less biscuits in the tins but he reckoned no one would notice) and thus hadn't given himself as big a portion to finish. Adelaide gave him a look but he brushed it off, turning his attention to Mirabella, who grasped his index finger in her tiny hands and gurgled earnestly as he talked softly to her.

A piece of him, the one that was still stubbornly unsentimental and mechanical, was still in shock that the baby in his arms, partly his creation, was actually his. But nevertheless, he was overwhelmingly proud of it, and his warm smile said it all. Adelaide watched the two with a grin. And he was so worried it would be difficult for him to bond with her. It's so wonderful to see him so calm and happy with her, and vice versa.

She felt Teddy nudge her elbow and looked down to find the most pitiful puppy eyes staring up at her. She chuckled and grabbed the rope toy he had brought her, "Alright, Proton, I suppose some playtime is in order now."

Sherlock's head jerked up and he tsked, "Not too rough-!"

"-Not too rough, I know, Hon. Don't worry, I got it," She replied and moved to the living room to play tug o' war with the hyper Dobie. Sherlock stayed behind to clean up as well as he could and then joined them, standing back and watching the play session until Teddy cooled off and retreated to his dog bed for a power nap. Adelaide put the toy in Teddy's toy bin and then stood up, smiling as she walked over to them. He held Mirabella out in case she wanted to hold her, but Adelaide simply pressed a feather light kiss to her sleeping daughter's forehead, then hummed, "It has been a perfect first morning home, Sherlock."

"Indeed it has been, Adelaide." He leaned down and captured her lips in a kiss.

After a couple more kisses, they decided to put cuddle up on the futon for a while. Sherlock turned on some crap telly for background noise and then pulled Adelaide into his lap. She leaned into him, careful not to smother Mirabella, and tucked her head against his shoulder. Hmmm... I have missed this so-

"Erm- I hope we aren't coming at a bad time..."

Any guesses as to whom?! 😆🥰😘 Love you guys!! I hope you enjoyed the chapter!!

Huge shout out to all of my new followers!! Thank you all so much!! 😘😘💕💕