Teddy

The Next Afternoon

"We've got everything?"

"Yes, of course we do."

"Collar?"

"Yes."

"License and tags on the collar?"

"Check."

"Leash and harness?" Adelaide held up the ensemble for her husband.

"Yes, Darling. That's everything and we do have all the paperwork as well. We're all set to bring Teddy home." She assured before putting the leash and harness in her purse with everything else.

"Are you two heading out to get Teddy now?" Missus Hudson called from her kitchen, peeking her head out.

"Yes, Missus H."

"Ohh! I can't wait to meet him! It'll be interesting seeing Sherlock with a pet of all things!"

"Missus Hudson-"

Adelaide intervened before her husband could reply, "It will definitely be a change with Teddy but I'm sure he'll love his new home, Missus H. Sherlock and I had better get going though. Can't keep Teddy waiting much longer now."

"Oh! Yes! Hurry along then, dears!"

The Holmeses smiled and bade the landlady goodbye, joining hands as they ventured outside. Sherlock had ordered a cab and it was already waiting, so they hopped in and took off for the Vet Clinic.

When they got there the nurse had all the rest of the paperwork and information they needed waiting, so it was only a short wait before they were taken back to a room. To their relief, Teddy's docking surgery had gone well and he wasn't reacting to any of the vaccines. The bandage would come off in a few days and they'd have to bring him back in a week to take out the few stitches he needed, but otherwise the prognosis was glowing.

Doctor Routledge popped in and advised them as to Teddy's diet and exercise before the Vet Tech carried the Dobermann puppy in. Teddy was squirmy and crying but once he saw Adelaide and Sherlock, he started wiggling from excitement and whimpered for their attention. Adelaide cooed and gently reached out for him, "Hi, Teddy! You're looking better than yesterday!" She giggled as the pup perked up and slobbered her face with doggy kisses, still quite jittery. The zoologist was careful not to disturb his now shortened tail but held him tightly so she wouldn't drop him.

Sherlock chuckled and gently pet Teddy's head, scratching behind his ears and earning a look of pure pleasure and shifting the dog's attention to him, "There. Let's not get so excited that you fall and ruin your mending tail."

"Teddy certainly does seem to have become attached to you. He's already quite calm, by his standards at least," Doctor Routledge remarked with a smile, "Now, do you have a collar and leash for him?"

"Yes. Collar, license and tags, the leash and a harness, to start conditioning him to it." Sherlock answered as Adelaide nodded and pulled out the items from her purse, handing Teddy to her husband.

They assembled the collar with the required metal tags and license and then Adelaide snapped it onto Teddy. The Vet helped adjust it and then they fitted his harness, which proved quite difficult with such a wiggly and curious pup, before finally clipped the leash onto the harness. After that, it was a matter of minutes before the newlyweds were able to walk out of the clinic with the first addition to their family unit. They flagged a willing cabbie and headed back to Baker Street. Teddy seemed to know he was going home because he was all over both of his new owners, emitting many sounds of excitement as he expressed his joy.

Missus Hudson was waiting by the door when they arrived, and almost squealed when she first saw Teddy. Her eyes lit up and she immediately stepped forward to say hello. The landlady was promptly met with doggy kisses and puppy eyes that won her over. Adelaide set Teddy down and had barely taken the leash off when he bolted, nose to the floor as he sniffed out his new home and Missus Hudson.

The group eventually settled in upstairs and huddled around Teddy as he explored the flat. After a thorough investigation, the puppy found the toys and his padded crate, which had been set up in the bedroom. Soon 221B was filled with the sounds of Teddy's new squeaky toy as he carried it around to everybody, wanting to play tug of war or fetch.

None of them noticed when Mycroft first entered, but Sherlock realised his brother's presence in only a few seconds and looked up to find the British Government staring at Teddy, eyes almost bulging, "Your timing is nearly perfect, brother mine." Sherlock quipped.

Mycroft cleared his throat, "What is the meaning behind having a Male Juvenile Red Doberman in this flat?" He held still as Teddy scampered over to him and went in circles around his ankles as he sniffed for information about this stranger. Adelaide chuckled and stood up.

"Sherlock and I rescued him yesterday, Myc. His breeder threw him out in a box in an alley and we decided to adopt him. His name is Teddy Proton, and he really is very sweet."

Mycroft managed to convince her and Missus Hudson of his smile, but one sideglance and Sherlock knew his elder brother was aiming to remind him of Redbeard and how that had ended. But rather than taking offense and starting a debate, he opted to walk over and pluck up the puppy before holding him up to Mycroft's face.

The petrified and slightly grossed out expression on Mycroft's face as Teddy assaulted him with doggy kisses was well worth it. The detective smirked and laughed, "I suppose it is a good thing he seems to accept you, brother mine. I hear dogs have remarkable judgement capabilities."

"Do they? I hadn't noticed."

Despite the snippy reply, Teddy won Mycroft over by the end of the evening.

Sorry for the long wait! Thank you all for your patience and for reading! Love y'all!! 😘😘