An Odd Afternoon (Pt 1)

Late October

"Thank you for coming with me, Tara."

"No problem at all, Ada. Bummer that Sherlock couldn't come instead."

Adelaide shook her head, "It's alright. I'm sure we can manage. Besides, I can't keep him from his cases forever and this case really has him motivated."

"Right, right,.. the laundering ring, is it?"

"You could call it that. But Sherlock took it on because many of the victims are parents with young children. Hit close to home, now that we have Mirabella," Adelaide responded as they walked into the hospital, "It's more than just money laundering too. Embezzlement, Extortion, Blackmail... All tied to what seems to be related to illegal imports and exports."

"You know, since you've been with Sherlock you sure have picked up on his field of work. Considering changing careers?"

They both laughed and Adelaide replied, "Nice one but no, I'm not cut out for that kind of thing. I have plenty on my plate being married to the world's greatest detective."

They got onto the elevator and took it up to the OB/GYN office where the appointment was scheduled. After checking in they luckily only had to wait a few minutes before being ushered into an examination room so Adelaide and Mirabella could have their vitals taken. Tara, sensing her best friend's anxiety, kept Adelaide talking calmly as they awaited Doctor Coburn's visit. It was to hopefully be the last follow up with her and Adelaide was extremely worried that she might find something wrong with either or both of them. After everything that their family had pulled through, she feared having to tell Sherlock that there was yet another complication or health concern. His mental health aside, I don't want him to think it would be because he had somehow not done enough to help us along in recovery.

However, despite the worries and doubts, Doctor Coburn found nothing amiss and was very pleased with their progress. She cleared the Holmeses at last to return to regular checkups with Doctor Lear and congratulated them before leaving to see another patient, even giving them a tiny gift as a memento. Once she left a nurse came in to wrap up the appointment and give general information for continuing care, and then the trio were free to leave. Adelaide walked out looking as if she was floating on clouds; relieved beyond words.

After walking for a bit they decided to make a stop at the store to pick up a few things. Adelaide texted the good news to Sherlock who responded with glee and an offer of dinner at Angelo's to celebrate. After agreeing, she put her mobile back in her purse and resumed strolling through the aisles, making baby talk with Mirabella and chatting with Tara.

Suddenly, the hairs on the back of her neck stood up as if electric current had shocked her and she tensed. The Tesco had abruptly gone mute- the store music was playing and a few other grazing customers were unaware, but it was much too quiet. Adelaide quickly pulled the trolley behind the end display of the aisle and yanked Tara to her side, looking for the huge corner mirror.

"Adelaide, what in the world-?" Tara blurted before Adelaide clasped her hand over her mouth and hissed, "Don't ask questions. Just calmly take the trolley and Mirabella and get into the restroom. Lock the door and barricade it if you can. Do NOT open that door."

Tara didn't dare question her. She wordlessly took hold of the trolley and pushed it towards the back where the restrooms were, disappearing into them. Adelaide, meanwhile, fumbled for her phone to try and call the police.

There were men clad in all black, each armed, who had many of the store workers down on the floor and were holding customers at gunpoint while they ransacked the tills and were in the process of breaking into the management office. Adelaide quickly averted her gaze and picked up a waylaid basket, loading it with anything she deemed capable of being used as ammo. Then, as she walked out of view of the mirror towards a more defensible display, she dialed for the police, acting like she was on the phone with a friend and oblivious to what was going on. The dispatcher understood and quickly was able to coordinate for officers to respond, but as Adelaide turned to grab a bottle of baby powder, she paled.

Crap.

One of the robbers had been sent to round up the rest of the customers to ensure they weren't reported. And he saw Adelaide on the phone and immediately lurched towards her, knocking the phone out of her hands and promptly stomping on it to crush it out of use. He grabbed her wrist and twisted it, spinning her around to pin her arm behind her back, "Who were you calling, *****!!"

"A friend, you scumbag!! That phone cost me a lot too- you're lucky I make sure to back everything up!!" She hissed back.

"Shut your trap and get down on the floor, NOW!!" He demanded, shoving her into the railing. She caught it before she could fall and obeyed, keeping her basket of goods at the ready. She sat down and raised her hands above her head, glaring at the man. He snarled a few more orders before addressing the few other customers who had realized what was going on and had frozen in fear. While he wasn't looking, Adelaide quickly picked up the small but hefty watermelon she had selected earlier and rolled it behind her, raising her arms again before the man looked back at her.

She stayed as still as possible until he started to head for the restrooms, at which point she grabbed the rotund fruit and her basket, and quietly got on her knees to crawl after him- hidden from view of the mirrors. No way am I going to let him hurt my baby, my best friend, or anyone else. Game on.

She got into a crouch and got a good drip on the melon, then stood as fast as she could and lobbed it at his head, then ducked back down to grab her next makeshift weapon. The watermelon hit his head with a crack and bounced off onto the floor. She heard him shriek a string of expletives and then came his footsteps, so she stood back up and just as he began to climb over the display between them she squeezed the large bottle of powder in his face. He choked, stunned, and now looking like a snowman; he tripped over the display and fell flat on his face. She stepped out of the way enough and then knelt down, ignoring her screaming muscles, and recalling the self defense classes she had taken, knocked him out cold.

Sherlock is not gonna be happy when he finds out about this.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!! I know, I know, more drama- but stay tuned!! 🥰😘 I love you all! Thank you for reading!!