Fears

"Sally, I think you've said enough."

Sherlock's eyes twitched over to the Andersen, who had said it. Donovan looked back at the Forensic Scientist with a bemused expression, "What was that?"

"I said I think you've said more than enough to Sherlock Holmes about his personal life than needed to be spoken. And I think you're needed at the other end of the crime scene, Sally." Andersen clarified for his coworker. Donovan looked eager to ignore him and continue her tirade but Greg returned to full function and seconded Andersen's statement, albeit much more firmly. Donovan puffed and finally marched off, cutting off her speech.

Greg exhaled and turned to his longtime friend with a sympathetic expression, "I'm sorry, Sherlock. I shouldn't have let her keep on."

Andersen approached and lowered his voice, observing the upset air of London's consulting detective, "I must apologize as well. That was much too far. Are you alright?"

Sherlock brought up his well used mask and nodded, "Yes. I am fine, Andersen. You have my thanks for preventing her from further slander. I think today you might have actually raised the IQ of the street for once," He sighed, "I must be getting back. I have a client meeting."

"Alright. You sure you're okay?"

"Yes. Positive."

Greg knew that pressing wouldn't help so he nodded and let the detective go. Sherlock hailed a taxi and barely remembered giving the cabbie the address. His mind was overrun by fears and doubts, blocking out almost everything else as he gave the world outside the window an unseeing, blank stare.

Competing voices clamored for attention within his mind palace. The ones that tried to remind him that Donovan wasn't worth listening to, and the ones that compounded her statements into poisoned arrows that lodged in his heart and stayed there, further depleting his confidence.

He silently paid the cabbie and exited the taxi, trudging into the building and up the stairs to 221B. Since Finley had begged to take Teddy out that day and Missus Hudson was on a holiday with Missus Turner. Adelaide wasn't even due home for another two hours, so Sherlock expected the flat to be empty.

Sherlock entered through the kitchen door and then realized that it wasn't, as he walked in to find Adelaide there. All of her baking supplies were laid orderly on the counter and her phone was blasting music as she moved between the refrigerator, oven and mixer. The warm aroma of cookie dough and currently baking cookies would have made his mouth water if he wasn't feeling so depressed.

Adelaide sensed his arrival and piped up brightly, glancing at him with a matching smile, "Welcome home, Darling! We got off work early and I wanted to surprise you, so I got all the ingredients and rushed home to bake cookies! You've been so wonderful helping with my pregnancy symptoms that I figured you'd enjoy some sweeties. Finley took Teddy for the night and Missus Hudson is on her trip "

Normally he would have gone over, given her a hello kiss and a hug, and then ask to help while they discussed the day's events. However, that was not what happened. Sherlock couldn't figure out how to respond to his wife given the dismal thoughts enshrouding his mind.

Adelaide caught on when he didn't reply after ten seconds of absolute silence from her husband. Her happy expression swiftly became one of worry as she paused her work to turn around and padded over to him, lowering the music volume as well, "Hey, what's wrong, Honey?" She asked gently. The idea popped into her head after another moment, "What's got you upset, Sweetie?"

Sherlock hesitated before murmuring tearfully, "Adelaide,.. I'm so sorry..."

"For what, Sherlock?"

"For dooming our children. They can't grow up in an average household and won't ever have the mercy of being considered normal because of who their father is! I'm not sure if I'll even be an adequate father to them! Wh-What if they grow up and become criminals?" He whimpered. Adelaide stepped forward to embrace him but wasn't fast enough, as he ended up collapsing, sliding down the kitchen door until he was curled into a ball on the floor. Adelaide frowned even more and knelt down in front of him as he continued, "Wh-What if they choose to become like Moriarty o-or Magnussen..?"

She stroked his curls softly as his head was buried in his knees, "Darling, of course they won't be textbook British citizens. They'll be Holmeses; each with their own gifts and personalities. And just because they won't be 'normal' doesn't mean we can't teach them to be good people. The most important thing we can do is to always make sure they know we love and support them and set examples for them so they learn early on."

"But what if they hate me?"

Adelaide sighed, "And what if they hate me, Sherlock?"

His head lifted immediately, "They would never hate you, Adelaide! You're... You're always so kind and understanding and fun. The kids will love you."

"And what about you? You're going to be the cool parent who solves crimes and rains justice upon London with his trusty friend John Watson, does funky experiments, and teaches them how to play violin and deduce people. You'll be just as fun, and you are kind, Sherlock. Kinder and more understanding than you give yourself credit for. I don't see how our kids could hate you. They won't always be enthused about our judgements and rules, but I'm sure they won't hate us. Let alone you, Sherlock," Adelaide replied, tenderly cupping his face and stroking his cheeks. Sherlock lifted his hand to cover hers and closed his eyes, finding familiar comfort in her touch, "I know you'll be a great dad, Sherlock. You're an amazing husband and I'm immensely grateful to have you. So please, stop condemning yourself and our children when they haven't even been born yet? Everything will be fine. I promise."

He squeezed her hand, nodded, and then twisted to kiss her hand, "Very well... I'm sorry for overreacting, Love... Just,.. Donovan was being a real pain today."

"I forgive you, Darling," She leaned up and gave him a kiss, "I'm sorry that Donovan antagonized you again today. I know she's always eager to pick on you."

"Indeed," He took a deep breath, "I suppose that I shouldn't pay her remarks any more attention."

"Mm," Adelaide smiled and they shared a couple more kisses before she stood up and pulled him to his feet, "Now I don't suppose you'd like any of these cookies would you, Sweetie?"

She didn't have to ask twice.

Love y'all!! 😘❤ Thank you for reading!! See you in the next chapter!!