Gazes

That Evening

"Brother mine, we have waited long enough. Doctor Coburn has to examine the baby."

"Mycroft, Mirabella would only be made more vulnerable-"

"Sherlock, I will ensure her safe transport here. I understand your wanting to keep her in the security of Baker Street, however it is crucial that you do what is best for your daughter and have her checked out."

The Consulting Detective groaned, pinching the bridge of his nose as his whole body slumped. He knew that his brother was right, and that he might very well have control usurped by Mycroft if he didn't relent.

He finally sighed and nodded, "Fine... Have the Watsons bring Mirabella to the hospital... Along with some things for Adelaide..."

"Of course."

Thirty minutes later, the Charge Nurses checked in the newborn Homes and the Watsons ferried her up to the Maternity Ward. Doctor Coburn had one of her nurses meet them at the lift to escort Mirabella to her examination, although John opted to go ahead and see how Adelaide and Sherlock were faring. So he left Mary with a kiss and got directions from the nurse's station, grabbed his friend a cuppa, and made his way to the room.

He nearly tripped over Mycroft on entry, as the stoic man had taken a seat on the far wall by the door. The army doctor murmured a quick apology which was brushed off. Seeing that the privacy curtain had been drawn around Adelaide, he cleared his throat; "I suppose he wanted a few minutes with her alone..?"

"Mm... Considering they have not had a moment of privacy since Adelaide went into active labor yesterday."

"... And how is he doing, really?"

Mycroft flicked his eyes from the monitors to John as he replied, "He's exhausted, and distressed, John. Her vital signs have improved a good measure in the past few hours but she still isn't responding to stimuli. Sherlock is having difficulty coping with the fact that she isn't waking up for him, and he's tried everything short of experimenting with firecrackers to rouse her," The British Government exhaled and then remarked on the large duffel John was carrying, "I see you brought the hospital bag."

"Yes, and we made sure to bring everything else Sherlock requested. Should I set it over there..?"

"No, go and see Sherlock first. He will want it near him."

John nodded and walked over to the thin, pastel green divider between him and his friends. Before he could speak he heard Sherlock's voice; "Come, John. Might as well pull the curtains back anyway," So he slid open the curtain and couldn't suppress a dismal sigh, seeing for himself just how rough his best friend was faring. John glanced over at the monitors as he tried to figure out what to say, only to hear Sherlock continue, "The bag please, John."

"Oh, of course, Sherlock," The blogger lifted the duffel bag and handed it to the brunette, who quickly set it on his lap and with shaky fingers, unzipped it and began sifting through the contents. John gave him a few seconds before asking, "What are you looking for, mate?"

Sherlock's bloodshot blue eyes flashed up at John, pausing in his search for only a moment before resuming; "Did you bring the blanket I asked you to, John?"

"Er, yes, but Mary re-packed it all in so it's probably on the bottom, cushioning the rest of the bag," The Detective hummed lowly in acknowledgement and plunged further into the bag, finally extracting the item of interest to him; a hand-sewn quilt with royal blue and white cathedral pattern. Sherlock held the neatly folded bundle in one hand and used the other to set the bag down at his feet. John cleared his throat, "That's a rather nice quilt, Sherlock..."