First Cuddle

"Little Miracle..."

To say that Sherlock was keen on holding Mirabella was an understatement. Once Cynthia had placed her in his arms, it was obvious he would not release her to anyone else unless necessary. The one exception, of course, was Adelaide although she was perfectly content to let him hold her as long as he sat close to her while Jocelyn and Cynthia worked on cleaning her up and monitoring Adelaide for any post-delivery issues. Mary had stepped out to call everyone and relay the news, as well as fix a round of Tea for every one in the vicinity. Teddy was rather confused as to why he still couldn't see what was going on, but John managed to get him away from the door so nobody would trip on him.

Eventually, Adelaide squeezed Sherlock's shoulder and gestured towards the door, "Why don't you go introduce her to John and Teddy now? If you stay rigid like that you might turn into a statue."

He shook his head, "No, I'll stay here until I know you're out of the woods."

"Sweetie, I'm alright, okay? Go and let John and Teddy see her."

"I'd agree, Mister Holmes. We can see to the rest." Jocelyn concurred and Sherlock sighed.

"Very well."

Although he wouldn't admit it, he was only just getting his bearings with holding Mirabella and he feared he'd drop her once he got up to leave. Nevertheless, he leaned over and accepted a quick peck from Adelaide and then carefully stood up, keeping his arms locked around their new daughter. She didn't even seem disturbed at the movement. Off in dreamland, perhaps. Although what would she have to dream about at this stage in her development?  He almost chuckled at himself but reality kept him from doing so.

He treaded softly around the bed to the door, where Cynthia opened the door for him and ever so gently nudged him over the threshold, "See? You're doing great, Mister Holmes. Nothing to worry about." All the women, Adelaide included, burst into giggles that left him a pale yet proud shade of pink as he continued on his way to the living room. Teddy immediately padded up to him, nose going a hundred miles an hour as he sniffed Sherlock, tail wagging happily. John hopped up from his chair and approached with a smile.

"Hey, mate. I see you brought her out?"

Sherlock nodded and replied, "Yes. Adelaide insisted that I introduce her to you and Teddy."

"Mmm," John stepped close and peered down at Mirabella's face. After a few moments he remarked, "She's going to be your mirror image, I bet. Just look at that dark hair."

"I do find it curious that that seems to be the first observation of everyone here," Sherlock paused and then continued, "But she will take after Adelaide with time."

John smiled proudly at his best friend, enjoying the scene before him as the infamously uncaring detective focused on the fuzzy pink bundle in his arms, eyes already glimmering with love. No worries there, then. She's definitely going to be a daddy's girl at this rate.  He thought to himself and stifled another chuckle. The patience has finally paid off.

After letting John look over her for a few more minutes, Sherlock walked to his chair and sat down slowly. Teddy of course walked over and leaned in as close as he could to Mirabella, nose twitching wildly. Sherlock watched closely as the Doberman sniffed her out. When he finally sat down and rested his head on Sherlock's leg, John piped up, "I think he's going to be great with her, Sherlock."

"Agreed, John. I'm certain they'll get along splendidly."

Just then Mirabella stirred inside her warm, snug cocoon. Teddy's head bounced straight back up and he watched with rapt attention as she managed to free one wee hand from the bundle, gurgling softly. Sherlock tentatively offered her his finger, gently rubbing her fist until she clasped her fingers around it and sighed peacefully. John didn't miss the loving glow that filled Sherlock's eyes at that moment. The blogger even managed to snap a few pictures on his phone for posterity and distributing them via text to almost everyone else.

The serene atmosphere wasn't even disturbed when they heard the bedroom door shut. The duo glanced up to see Jocelyn speedwalk into the living room and beeline for Cynthia's medical bag. Sherlock stiffened and asked, "What is it? What are you getting?"

She only replied when she'd extracted a small box of vials and syringes. She flashed a small smile as she walked back past them, "The placenta hasn't come yet so we're going to give her some Ergometrine and Oxytocin to help. It's nothing to worry about."

The two exchanged glances after she'd returned to her post and the blogger caught on, "Just take a breath and keep focusing on Mirabella, Mate. They'll come and say so if something's gone wrong."

"I know..," Sherlock returned his gaze to his daughter, stroking her hand gently. After a minute he sighed and continued, "You know, John... Mirabella is the most beautiful baby girl in the world..."

John, of course, couldn't stifle his well-meaning chuckle, "Agree to disagree, there, Sherlock. Rosie and Alexander hold those titles."

"Oh but you forget one thing, John Watson. As I am a man of logic and science, I cannot be biased. It is a purely objective deduction."

"Don't even try, Sherlock. You're her father. Of course you're going to say she's the best."

Both laughed and Sherlock mused; "Well, fatherhood does change a man."

"Mmmhmm. Even you."

Mirabella suddenly gave out a garbled cry and Sherlock jolted before concluding she was most likely hungry. He hushed her gently and got up, taking care not to step on John or Teddy, then made his way back to the bedroom so Mirabella could have a feed and cuddle with Adelaide, "Easy, Mirabella, in a minute your Mum'll have you fed and warm again."

He walked around the bed to Adelaide, who lit up and extended her arms almost like they were spring powered, "I could hear her. We were just about to send for you anyways," Sherlock slowly transferred the babe to her arms and smiled warmly as Mirabella began her feed without any more fuss. Adelaide hummed and looked up at him with tired but shimmering eyes, "She really is a wonder isn't she, Darling?"

"The most wonderful, Love." He affirmed and leaned down to give her a kiss. She smiled and returned it eagerly, letting her weight fall into him. And to think, if I hadn't replied to that wrong number text that day... this wouldn't be happening..!

The tender moment was interrupted by Cynthia clearing her throat rather forcefully. The couple parted and looked her way to find the midwife, as well as Mary and Jocelyn behind her, looking dreadfully ashen. Adelaide stammered, "Wh-What is it..?" Their hearts sank as Cynthia reluctantly pulled up her white-gloved examination hand.

Soaked. In thick, dark, blood.

The midwife had to inhale sharply before speaking; "The placenta isn't coming away correctly, just tearing at the lining and tissue. Adelaide's bleeding internally. At least one haemorrhage," She nearly choked, "And it's too severe for home treatment. She needs an ambulance. Now."

To be continued...