Mycroft's Visit

Three Weeks Later

"Are you sure you'll be alright?!"

"Yes-"

"And you do know where all her things are?"

"Love-"

"And-!"

Sherlock tried his best to maintain a cool, calm demeanor as Adelaide asked question after  question regarding Mirabella's care. She was supposed to be going out for a carefree, relaxing day with Tara, Molly, and Mary but just as they were arriving she had become frantic, worrying about whether he and Mirabella could survive a day without her. It was rational, and Sherlock had been expecting her to try and prove that she needed to stay home, but he couldn't get an assuring word in edgewise as she tried to find any plausible reason she shouldn't go out.

So there he stood in the middle of the living room, holding a fed and contented Mirabella while Adelaide rambled on. If this is how she is now, I hope by the time she decides to return to work that she won't be quite as anxious leaving Mirabella with me. He mused before sighing and reaching out to clasp her tense shoulder; "Angel,  we will be fine. I promise."

She looked up at him with blue eyes filled with worry, "B-But are you positive? Because if you're not ready to stay alone with her then-"

"Love, everything will be fine. Nothing will happen. Now, Tara is on her way up the stairs to collect you and she will pull you outside herself if she needs to."

Adelaide massaged her temples, "But I'm just not sure I'm ready... What if something happens?"

"Ada, the whole point of today is to help you relax and catch a break. You haven't left this flat in weeks to do anything other than attend to the media and get check ups. You desperately need fresh air and mental stimulation," Tara cut in, rising from the staircase and beelining for Adelaide, "Plus, you have made sure that Sherlock knows how to care for Mirabella. I'm sure they can handle themselves for a day."

After a few more minutes of assurance and coaxing, Sherlock and Tara succeeded. Adelaide donned her coat and finally relented to a day of self care, and was promptly ushered downstairs and out to the waiting cab by Tara. The hat detective stood by the window and watched until the cab had been out of view for at least ten minutes before exhaling and looking down at Mirabella, who had begun to stir, "Now, Little One, we are under strict orders not to misbehave while your Mummy is away. I'm sure we'll do just fine."

Mirabella gurgled faintly and peeked one eyelid open before squirming and dozing off again. Sherlock smiled gently and stroked her rosy cheek, walking over to his chair and sitting down. I have everything in hand. Adelaide has nothing to worry about.

Not thirty minutes later, while scrolling through his inbox of requests for his help on cases, he heard all too familiar footsteps climbing the staircase and without looking up he called out calmly, with a hint of sarcasm; "Come for tea, brother mine?"

Mycroft walked in slowly, his face utterly placid despite the wariness in his icy eyes. He twirled his umbrella a couple times and gazed around the flat before murmuring, "It's been a full half hour. A good sign that Adelaide hasn't rushed back."

"By now they're at that private spa you oh-so kindly reserved for them." Mycroft made a noise between a guffaw and scoff as he sat down in John's chair. The Ice-Man had indeed obliged to secure an appointment for Adelaide and the girls at the best luxury spa in London. But, only on the condition that Sherlock would allow him back onto the premises after the younger Holmes decked him for his comments about the media uproar.

"Rather rash, how you decided to respond to the publicity hounds."

"If I had had it my way, I would have let you do what you do best. But Adelaide wanted the world to know as much truth as we felt comfortable, so we suffered through that insufferable broadcast and now the hounds aren't biting at our heels anymore."

"Yes, they've returned to speculating on celebrity affairs and trading gossip."

"Of course. They didn't get enough to feed their wild imaginations."

"Precisely the point," Sherlock at last put his mobile down and looked at his brother, "Chess? I've been dying to beat you again."

Mycroft shook his head, "No. You know I'm the smart one."

"Yes, I'll make sure to reiterate that to the scientists who will be dissecting your brain in the future," The detective sighed and leveled a probing gaze at the other, "Out with it. You're here because you need something from me."

"On the contrary, brother mine. There is nothing the government requires of you."

Sherlock smirked, "Then you're here... why?"

Mycroft reflected the smirk, "Because Adelaide wanted us to get along."

"No she did not."

"Oh, but she did."

As if it had been planned, Mirabella started to stir again. A string of cries, increasing in intensity, drew her father's attention and he shifted her in his arms, "What is it, little one?"

Mycroft watched as Sherlock quickly checked her over and deduced that she was only a fussing and needed a nappy change. The new father saw to it quickly and efficiently, and Mycroft knew he was adhering to a strict protocol that he had set. We shall see how well the protocol holds up as her needs become less predictable.

He ended up staying at the flat after all, if nothing else because he wanted to see his niece. Missus Hudson made tea for them as they fell back into a comfortable banter between each other, discussing cases and critiquing the other's mental methods over chess and other games. After a few hours, Sherlock finally let Mycroft hold Mirabella- who seemed happy to observe her uncle with her big, curious blue eyes.

Until she started to whimper again. Mycroft froze and Sherlock tsked; "Talk to her, Mycroft. You haven't said one thing to her. You're frightening her, looking at her with that stone face."

"Say what? It's not as if she would understand me."

"No, but infants do recognize that you are giving them attention and affection- which oddly enough makes them happy. I know you're not good with humans, let alone babies, but this is your niece. At least try." Sherlock stated firmly. Mycroft knew that if he didn't make an effort that Sherlock would not let him off the hook. So, feeling more than a little strange, he cleared his throat.

"Now, there's now need for that, Mirabella. See?"

He managed a tiny, sincere smile and the baby Holmes stopped crying, looking up at him in awe. Mycroft glanced over at Sherlock who nodded for him to continue, so he did.

The hat detective reached for his mobile and pressed record before Mycroft could see. I will most definitely be sending this to the others. Especially Mum and Dad. He snickered to himself, taking in the sight of his stern brother speaking in "baby-talk" with Mirabella. Missus Hudson couldn't resist either. She snapped a discrete photo from the stairwell to show the others.

Although, neither were needed. When the girls returned from their day on the town, they crept up the stairs they found both brothers engaged in baby talk as they entertained the baby girl with rattles and funny faces. Adelaide couldn't contain herself and burst into giggles.

Guess they did just fine after all!

Sorry for the long wait!! I hope you enjoyed this update! Stay tuned!! 😘😘

Love you all!!