Heroics

Back at Baker Street

Adelaide hoisted Mirabella in her carrier up and rested the handle in her elbow, getting out of the cab and walking as quickly as she could to the 221 Baker Street door, shoving her key into the lock and letting herself in in time to shut the door behind her and scurried up to the nursery. Sherlock followed close behind, having thrust a large bank note into the cabbie's hand and failing to disguise his foul mood. Apparently we can't even go a month now without hers and Mirabella's lives being endangered. And now she's made the trouble.

He stomped up the stairs and into the living room with a huff, "Adelaide..?"

"I'm going to put Mirabella down in her cot and then we can talk, just wait a minute, will you?" She answered, feeling the rush of adrenaline that had been coursing through her for hours, begin to ebb. After tucking her baby girl in in her nursery Adelaide hurried to their bedroom and threw off her heavy coat and shoes, trading them for her dressing gown and house slippers before she took a deep breath and returned to the living room. Sherlock was finishing putting his coat and scarf away as she walked in; shoulders squared up and stiff for how tense his body was. He didn't bother taking off his blazer before turning around to face her.

"Now, explain what exactly happened today when you went to Tesco? Gary said you saved several other customers and were largely responsible for the apprehending of those thugs who were, as I recall, threatening you when we were leaving the Yard."

His icy blue eyes were staring into hers in a way that he hadn't in months. And not in a good way. Adelaide shivered and crossed her arms, going on the defensive; "We were at the Tesco, just going to pick up some groceries. I didn't seek out any trouble and didn't realize there was any until I heard the store go nearly silent. It put me on guard and I saw the reflection of the intruders in one of the large mirrors- they had come in and taken several customers hostage already and were pilfering the tills and breaking into the offices to search for more money. I told Tara to take Mirabella into the bathroom and lock the door. My body was on autopilot, Sherlock! I just knew that I could take action and that if I didn't that innocent people would be hurt and that the culprits would likely make off scot-free."

He had his hands pressed together under his chin now, digesting the information. After a few seconds he responded sternly, "You still should have gone and hidden with our daughter and Tara-"

"Sherlock, just let me finish before you lecture me!!" He looked a little stunned at her outburst, enough for Adelaide to continue, "In that moment I was doing what I knew I could. I knew that I could hide with Mirabella in the restroom, not try to help at all and risk being found anyways, or I could send them to hide and do whatever I could to prevent the thugs from harming our baby girl and anyone else. I instinctively chose the latter, Sherlock. I went into a zone. I was focused on protecting everyone I could. I gathered as many goods that I deemed useful and called the police. Unfortunately, that was when one of the thieves walked to the back of the store, saw me on the phone and that was that. He crushed my phone and had me sit down on the floor so he could secure the other remaining customers, so I waited until the opportunity came..."

She went on to recount as many details of her escapade as she could remember, right up to her struggle with the thug who had inflicted her bruises and scrapes as the Yard arrived. Sherlock listened silently, barely moving, until her story had concluded and he had processed the minutia. He still looked quite irritated but his shoulders relaxed ever so slightly and his steely gaze softened.

After a minute of silence he spoke; "So you risked your own safety to be a hero..?"

"I hadn't intended to be a hero, Sherlock. I was just wanting to protect whomever I could by whatever means. I didn't want to have to physically fight any of them. You and I both know I'm not a very good hand fighter. I wouldn't have lasted very long if that had been my only plan." She replied, staring at the rug as she shuffled her feet, wanting desperately to have this over with.