Home

Three Days Later

If chaos had a visual definition that day, it would have been Sherlock. Adelaide had been cleared to go home to finish recovery, and yet in a sudden spike in hospital activity, getting all the discharge paperwork filled out and approved and making sure Baker Street was ready for the Holmeses to return became a hurry and wait scenario. The new father was a flourishing blur, dashing in and out of the room to deliver forms, procure tea or pick up any number of new documents. In between his sprints he would pause to check on Adelaide and Mirabella, because heaven forbid something happened in the thirty seconds he was away from them.

Adelaide would simply smile and assure him she was fine, watching her disheveled husband try desperately to speed up the discharge proceedings. Mirabella, despite the busy goings on around her, was perfectly content in her mother's arms, entertaining her and the nurses with her happy coos and gurgles.

At last, the discharge came through and Doctor Coburn saw the new family on their way out of the hospital, reiterating the treatment instructions for home recovery and then wishing them the best. Sherlock was nearly out of patience and focused on loading up the hospital bags into the boot of Mycroft's car, as he had insisted on driving, while Adelaide greeted her brother in law. Once she had transferred from the wheelchair into the sedan and Mirabella had been secured in her car carrier, Sherlock relegated himself to the front passenger seat and they peeled away from the curb.

The drive was a short but chatty one- to the relief of all parties involved- and before they knew it they were home. Missus Hudson dashed out to help them inside. Sherlock entrusted Mirabella to her and focused on Adelaide, allowing her to set the pace and bracing her up as they slowly made their way upstairs to 221B.

Teddy greeted them with excited wags, smothering Adelaide with gentle "welcome home" kisses once she'd sat down in her silver chair. Adelaide gave him plenty of affection while Sherlock answered Missus Hudson's  bombardment of questions. Finally, once the landlady and British Government were satisfied and left, Sherlock locked the doors and inhaled a long awaited breath of home.

His stressed blue eyes softened as he took in the scene: Adelaide feeding Mirabella with a peaceful smile and Teddy, curious as ever, watching with his nose balanced on Adelaide's knee. The Detective stood in silent observance for a minute until Adelaide spoke up; "Aren't you going to come and sit down, Darling?"

"Merely taking the moment in, Love
P." He hummed as he walked over and pulled out the desk chair beside them, sitting so that he could rest his chin on the backing. Now that he had finally gotten his family home, he felt the Adrenaline that had been fuelling him for four days start to ebb. No matter. I'll last until Mirabella is down for the night and Adelaide is comfortable.

He cleared his throat as Mirabella finished her feed and Adelaide began burping the newborn, "She'll probably be due for her nap when she's done."

"Mmmhmm. It's been a long, hectic day. I'm sure she'll sleep soundly," Adelaide looked over at him with a tired smile, "I'll probably be ready for a nap too, once she's settled."

"And I'm certain you will rest much better here than at the hospital, Love. I'll go make sure the bassinet is ready, alright?"

"Okay, Darling." He stood up and pressed a kiss to her cheek, picking up the hospital bags and carrying them into the bedroom. To his satisfaction, Mirabella's bassinet was standing at the ready at the foot of the bed. He smiled and then set the duffel bag and patient satchels on the mattress, unpacking them and sorting their contents before seeing to the bed. Fortunately, the Mary had stripped it to have everything cleaned and sterilized but it hadn't been made up yet. Sherlock got a new bedspread out and made it up as neatly as he could, fluffing all the pillows and replacing the duvet with the handmade quilt.

No sooner than he'd finished he heard Teddy padding in, followed by slow footsteps he recognized to be Adelaide's. He turned as she walked in and to the bassinet, rocking their baby girl in her arms and humming a lullaby. Teddy curled up in his crate with a long doggy sigh, and Sherlock gave him a few pets before closing the gate and joining Adelaide. She lowered Mirabella into the cot as he rested his chin on her shoulder, twining his arms around her frame, "I'm just so happy to finally be home, Sherlock..."

"As am I, Angel..." He pressed a deep kiss against her jaw and nestled his head further into the crook of her neck, as would-be tears stung his eyes. As am I.

Love y'all!! 😘💕

~Uilosris