Boiling Over

Sherlock wasted zero time after retrieving Teddy and raced back to Baker Street, firing off a sequence of texts to his wife en route. For the most part, he scolded her for having left her phone at the flat during her "walk". And she didn't even tell me she was going out!  He remarked to himself, fully intending to let Adelaide have it when he got home. He had reached his limit. I must ascertain what has got her acting like this tonight. I cannot let this continue.  

Adelaide had managed to ward off her own tears and recover her usual color, not wanting to give Sherlock more to worry about. She did not expect to hear the downstairs door snap open and slam closed with unsettling resonance. I'm in trouble. In seconds, Teddy bounded into the living room and straightaway went into the kitchen for his supper. Adelaide steeled herself as Sherlock marched into the room, tossing Teddy's harness onto the futon.

Adelaide had never seen him so expressively angry as at that moment. Sherlock looked ready to explode; red-faced, looking as if steam was puffing from his ears. Seated beside the desk, she gripped the edges with both hands, too startled to speak or move.

He hung up his coat before addressing her, "Adelaide, I should not have to remind you that it is a basic safety to always carry your phone with you. I should not have to remind you of the danger called the World that waits on the doorstep. Why did you, one, neglect to at least tell me you were going out and two, why didn't you bring your phone!? What if one of my enemies had got ahold of you!!?? What if you had been hurt or something had happened to l the baby?! You deprived yourself of time-critical protection and aid in your already vulnerable condition!! Why, Adelaide? WHY??!!"

"Sh-Sherlock, I-"

"Then all this on top of the fact that since your birthday, you have refrained from telling me what made you upset. And you have jumped at every chance to get me out of the flat!" He threw up his hands, his voice rising in volume as he continued, "I have been especially patient, Adelaide. I didn't want to make you feel threatened or give you any reason not to trust me. I have been waiting for you to trust me enough to tell me what has made you so paranoid. But apparently, you still don't, since you didn't bother to tell me you went out and continue to withhold the information from me, your husband, who has been going insane trying to keep you safe and happy!”

Sherlock produced his pocket knife and stabbed it into the mantlepiece. Channeling his severe agitation, he stabbed it several more times. Adelaide was so taken aback by his outburst that she was still frozen in place, too frightened to say anything. She wanted to say something to calm him down, but his 180° change of behavior scared her out of her wits.

Her newfound fear of him coupled with the fear for Finn, natural instinct, and her pregnancy hormones rapidly churned into an emotional cyclone. First one tear, then a couple, and within seconds she was full-on crying. Her entire being tremored as salty tears streamed down her face, leaving sticky, shiny pink lines behind.

Yet she couldn't make a sound.

Sherlock hung onto the impacted knife, blowing out heavy breaths as he expelled excess steam. When he had cooled off enough to look at Adelaide again, he realized she hadn't made so much as a squeak since he'd gone off yelling. Normally, she would have stepped in, quickly soothing him. And yet she has said nothing. Why is she suddenly silent?  

"Adelaide, I, " Sherlock began as he pivoted. When he saw her shaking and crying, looking petrified, his heart broke. He let go of the knife and paled. What have I just done? "A-Adelaide, I didn't... I didn't mean to scare you..!"

She shook her head, still crying, "N-No, Sh-Sherlock, I think you did..."

"No! Adelaide, no!" A surge of painful remorse coursed through the brunette as he mentally berated himself for scaring Adelaide and yelling at her. He padded to her side and knelt, heart aching more for every tear he watched roll down her cheeks, "Oh, Love... I got upset and lost it. I'm so sorry, Angel..." He apologized, reaching up to cup her face.

But she turned away, wiping away her own tears, "J-J-Just let me be, Sherlock. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you I went on a walk and that I left my phone behind. I j-just didn't think I'd need to when the walk was so short. I'm sorry that I can't stop making you worry over me. Y-You are well within your right to be mad with me..."

"Lovey-"

Adelaide pushed her chair out and stood up, heading for the bedroom, "Finley needs me. I'm going to g-go ahead over and I'll stay overnight."

Sherlock leapt to his feet, "No, Angel, don't! Don't go! Please! W-We can work this out."

Adelaide shook her head tearfully, "I think we both need space tonight. I'm going to take Teddy and go stay with Finley for the night. We can finish discussing this tomorrow, wh-when we've both calmed down." She sniffled and entered the bedroom, Teddy following behind her.

Anger sparked Sherlock's system again and he growled, "Fine! Go visit your brother then!" He huffed and sauntered to the futon, throwing Teddy's harness off as he flopped down onto it, facing the back. He didn't quite understand why he felt angry again, but for some reason, it felt better than having his heart broken seeing Adelaide so upset. Besides, she's the one who wanted to leave instead of working it out. He rationalized, curling up into a ball.

Adelaide ordered a cab and let Finley know she was on her way as she packed a small bag and sobbed. Teddy nudged her with his nose, whimpering softly to try and comfort her. She managed to stifle her tears enough to grab Teddy's things from the kitchen and living room, harnessing him and stuffing the rest in her bag.

And then she left, ignoring the whistling tea kettle as it boiled over.

Love Y'all!! 😘