Eyes [A]

In moments, it seems, when it really must be a few minutes, I enter a haze of confusion whilst watching the room around me break into organized chaos. I know, in the back of my mind, that I shouldn't let myself let go but I can't deny the consuming want for rest. Maybe if I shut my eyes, I'll wake up and it will be a dream? And I'll wake up perfectly fine with only Sherlock and Mirabella by my side.

"Adelaide, Love, don't close your eyes!"

I frown, unable to keep them open very wide despite my husband's instruction, and ask tiredly; "But I'm sleepy, Darling. Can't I just get a few minutes?"

"No, Love. Now, I know you're feeling drowsy and that's because of the bleeding. So you have to stay awake for us, okay, Lovey?" It's a blurry image but I can see him free one hand from applying pressure to my abdomen and cover my own, which are still cradling Mirabella against me, "Just keep holding on to her, Adelaide. Don't release your grip. Do you understand?"

"Mm..."

I blink to try to focus my eyes and clear away the foggy, heavy vision to truly absorb the scene playing out around me but it feels like I can only watch rather than interact with or feel  it. I can see the oxygen apparatus on my face, and I know that Sherlock and John are pressing down on my distended stomach to try and combat the haemorrhage while the others are giving me injections and making calls. But I can't feel any of it, can barely hear it. Because it hasn't sunk in.

But perhaps ten minutes after Cynthia's diagnosis, the light bulb fizzles on and I finally grasp the situation enough to feel something other than exhaustion. I reach out a hand and clasp it over Sherlock's. He jolts and turns to me, "Y-Yes, Angel?"

I open my mouth but before I can tell him, I register sirens and then the flying squad bursts into the room. Mirabella starts to whimper and a surge of maternal instinct takes ahold of me. Instead of letting Mary pick her up, I tighten my grip, jerking away in protest. She frowns, "Adelaide, let her go. I promise John and I will watch her until you're better."

I shake my head defiantly, "No! She's only just gotten here!! She needs me!!"

"Angel, I know you're scared, but please. We need to get you to Surgery and she can't come with us now," Sherlock pleads with a desperate, pained voice, "Just let them take her so we can get you to the hospital."

It will forever be unclear whether I did or did not release Mirabella after that. I just know that the next second I was on a gurney in the ambulance, the bumpy, loud ride only serving to worsen the pain and nausea. By the time I smell the sterile hospital and they've hooked me up to every probe and machine imaginable, my vision is coming in fuzzy shots of color and I feel like every muscle has turned into pudding. Or jelly. I can't move anymore. I'm just too tired...

"Darling..?"

"Yes, Love?"

"Can... Can I go to sleep now..?"

A pause, and then a somber reply; "You can, Adelaide."

"... Will you be in there with me, Sh-Sherlock..?"

I smell the gas as the mask is pressed over my mouth and inhale.

"They won't let me, but don't worry, Adelaide. I-I-I'll be waiting outside the entire time."

4...

"Please go sit down, Mister Holmes, we will take care of her."

"A-Are you sure I can't be in there?"

3...

"Sleep well, Adelaide. When you wake up, I'll be right here."

2...

"Mister Holmes, we need to get started. You need to leave now or we'll have to remove you."

"Not until she's asleep!!"

1...

Sorry for the long wait everyone, and sorry it's short!! Stay tuned!!

Also, for those who have been following "Asylum", I have decided to put it on hold and unpublish it. I just haven't been able to find enough motivation to keep writing it and I don't have the time to work on both series. I apologize to everyone who was looking forward to the next update but I didn't want to take it down without letting you guys know!!