Trepid

It wasn't until late morning when Adelaide finally awoke. Sherlock had unwillingly caught a few hours of sleep waiting, but was glad he was there when he saw her eyes flutter open. He reached up to gently stroke her cheek, "It's a relief to see you awake, Love," Adelaide smiled weakly and he leaned over to give her a kiss, "How are you feeling, Lovey?"

"I can't feel much besides a few sore spots," Adelaide answered and then her eyes saddened, "I really am sorry, Sherlock..."

"All is forgiven, Angel. Finley told us the hows and whys and I'm the one who is sorry... But we'll sort that out later," Sherlock took a breath and brushed a stray tress from her forehead before continuing, "Adelaide..."

She drew her lips into a line and asked nervously, "The baby? Is she okay, Sherlock?"

He grasped her hand, bringing it to his lips before speaking, "She's fine- as healthy as ever, so far as we can tell. You are too, not including the scrapes and bruises. But..."

"But there still may be complications..."

"Indeed. They'll be keeping you here for at least a few days to monitor you and make sure nothing happens. If everything's looking good then they'll let you come home. But the Doctor said that there is a chance that we'll have to have a hospital delivery, and to be prepared for a  cesarean section. Especially if you have a bloody show or you take ill..."

Adelaide nodded, tears brimming. She brought her free hand up, covering her face, "I'm so sorry... This is all my fault and now our daughter is at risk..!"

Sherlock leapt up immediately, "No, Angel. This  is not your fault. It is solely the fault of Alison. She and Bruce chose to ambush and assault you. This is their doing and they will not be spared the consequences," Nevertheless, he couldn't quell her tears and felt his heart crack into bits as she began to sob onto the pillow. The brunette hopped onto the gurney beside her, pulling off his coat and tucking it around her before leaning over her, embracing her as well as he could and burying his head in her shoulder, "W-We will get through this, Adelaide. I will make sure of it."

"B-B-But what if we lose her, Sh-Sherlock?! I don't know if I could live through losing our baby girl!!"

"I cannot answer that, my Love. But I will do everything in my power to keep you and the baby safe and healthy. H-Haven't I always strived for such?"

"Y-You h-h-have..."

He pressed a deep kiss to her skin and whispered, "Just trust me. I vowed to care for you and I promised to do the same for our child. I only ask that you let me take care of you both, and that you focus on your health. Let me worry about the rest. Please..."

It took a few minutes before she nodded, "O-Okay..."

Five Days Later   

After long days of observation, preventive treatments, and anxiety, Doctor Coburn had approved Adelaide to be discharged to go home. Neither mother nor child had shown signs of complications and it was widely agreed that Adelaide would fare far better in the comfort of 221B than the hospital. To her joy, she and Sherlock were able to attend their Birthing Class rather than having to miss it. For him, it was a relief just to see her so relaxed and engaged rather than the brooding and worrying she had been doing. And he was too concentrated on her to make any remarks to throw the rest of their classmates and instructor off either, which made for an excellent class.

When they finally got home though, they were met by the Watsons, Finley, Teddy, Missus Hudson and Mycroft, who had come just to make sure that Adelaide was fine. Sherlock allowed them to visit for only a short while before sending his wife, who was visibly exhausted, to bed and seeing everyone out. When he went in to join her, he found Adelaide and Teddy snuggling on the bed.

She looked up and spoke, smiling, "I think our Teddy missed me."

"Of course he did. You're his person more than I am, after all," Sherlock responded and sat down on his side of the bed, stroking their dog's short yet silky coat. Teddy closed his eyes in bliss and sighed deeply, letting his head fall to rest upon his crossed paws. The detective smiled and then reached for Adelaide's hand, "We're all immensely happy to have you home."

"And I'm happy to be home," Adelaide hummed and brought his hand to her lips, planting a single kiss on his knuckles, "It's so much better than being confined in that hospital, where I could only worry."

"Believe me, I feel much the same, my Angel," Having her in the hospital had stirred up painful memories for him, of when Moran had kidnapped then dumped her in the snow and she had frozen and was pronounced dead before she miraculously thawed and revived in Molly's mortuary. His eyes darkened as he remembered them again. Adelaide saw this and squeezed his hand, pulling his attention back from the past to the present. He smiled again and squeezed her hand in response, "Is there anything I can get for you, Adelaide?"

"No. I just want to cuddle up in bed with you and Teddy."

Sherlock nodded and quickly changed, locking up and then getting into bed. Adelaide tucked up next to him and he wrapped his arms over her baby bump, just in time to feel their daughter begin her nightly acrobatics. Teddy sprawled out over them both, falling asleep shortly before Adelaide followed suit. The brunette didn't bother moving them, the moment was too calm and therefore wondrous to him.

And in time, he fell asleep as well, completing their contented scene.

Thank you for reading!!

Based on feedback, I will be revealing the winning baby name in the story, so stay tuned!! Love y'all!!