Keeping Busy

September 3

Sherlock's mind hummed to life and his eyes rolled open, lazily blinking as he searched for the clock to check the time. Two AM. The brunette took a breath and almost allowed himself to doze off again, until he realized why he had woken up in the first place. His wife had vanished from her side of the bed.

His breath caught and he bolted up in bed, falling off of it as running in place for a moment until he got enough friction to hurry into the washroom, "Adelaide?!" Not finding her there, he skidded into the kitchen, ramming into the fridge on his way.

To his relief, she was there. Filling up a tall glass of ice water. His reckless arrival had startled her and she nearly dropped the crystal vessel, gasping loudly and holding a hand to her heart as she puffed, "Sherlock!!"

"Are you alright, Love? Why are you up?" He asked worriedly, stepping over and grasping her wrist to take her pulse and then feeling her forehead, "Has something happened? You need to tell me, Adelaide!"

She deep sighed and set the glass down, grabbing his frantic hands and squeezing them gently, "Darling, it's only a little heartburn and indigestion!" Her eyes roamed him and she sighed again, "Sherlock, I told you not to go to bed in your day clothes! Why didn't you listen to me?" He inhaled, busted, and then came up with an answer, brushing off his white button up and slacks.

"B-Because I want to be prepared, Adelaide!"

"But even your shoes, Sherlock?!" His eyes darted down for a split second to his dress shoes as she exhaled, calming a bit as she stroked his cheek, "Honey, I know you want to be prepared and it's the greatest comfort to know I've got you here to keep me on the right track. But you're beginning to make me worried-"

He cupped her face, "Love, I'm only trying to ensure that both you and Mirabella are going to be safe and healthy. This," He shrugged to his mussed attire, "Is my way of staying calm. Knowing that I've got everything prepared, organized, and battle-ready for Mirabella's arrival. Okay?"

"Fine, but please take your shoes off at least." She commented after a few seconds, releasing him and lifting the water glass for a long sip. Sherlock's eyes narrowed as he watched her wince, gripping the counter.

"Adelaide, are you sure it's just indigestion?" She nodded quickly, gulping down another swig of water, "Because one of the signs of labor is-"

She held up her hand to silence him and shook her head, breathing out as whatever sensation eased, "Sherlock, please. It was just some heartburn and a Braxton-Hicks."

"And how many times have they occurred tonight?"

"Just this once."

Despite Adelaide's repeated assurances that she wasn't in labor, the consulting detective's suspicions continued to mount by the hour. He abstained from questioning her further but began keeping a track of what signs he could observe, even the ones Adelaide appeared not to recognize. Especially given the fact that Doctor Lear had said Adelaide had begun dilation and effacement at their appointment two days past. The father-to-be was more than hopeful that they might actually have Mirabella by the due date, rather than late.

Afternoon rolled around to find Sherlock in the living room playing tug of war with Teddy, a means of distraction to keep the both of them occupied and out of Adelaide's way while she was in the kitchen baking. The expectant mum couldn't keep still that day, and had rewashed and folded all of Mirabella's clothes and blankets, sterilized all the baby bottles and toys twice, and had neatened up the nursery as well in her cleaning spree. She might have even done all the curtains in 221B if Sherlock hadn't hid the ladder and the rest of the fabric detergent. So with nothing else to clean, she had resorted to baking sheet after sheet of cookies.

In truth, Adelaide had had a number of odd cramps and Braxton-Hicks since the previous night, as well as a gradual decline in movements from Mirabella. But to keep herself from getting as high strung as Sherlock, she put her mind and hands to use and kept calm, working away to the music blaring from her phone.

It was only after Sherlock had sufficiently worn out Teddy and the Doberman had curled up on the futon for a nap that the detective dared to enter the kitchen. He found Adelaide in the midst of combining more ingredients for a batch that he deduced would turn out snickerdoodles. His gray blue eyes scanned over his wife's form before he slowly stepped up behind her and snaked his arms around her torso. It elicited a squeak of surprise from her and she turned her head towards him, giving him a quick peck. He hummed deeply and nuzzled her cheek, resting his head lightly on her shoulder, "This is the first time you've let me do this today, Angel. And I see you're quite content."

Adelaide nodded, "I'm just trying to keep my mind busy. Besides, I wanted to send some to my grandparents and your parents."

"So they have sweeties to nibble on while they wait for Mirabella's arrival?"

"Basically." They both chuckled and he pressed a few kisses to her neck and jaw, enjoying the familiar, warm fragrance of cookies and sugar that clung to her whenever she had been baking.

He stayed put as she finished up adding the wet ingredients to the dry and powered on the mixer, then hummed, "I can handle this last batch so you can go lay down, Love. You've been up on your feet all day..."

"Mmm... You sure, Hon?"

"Of course. I've helped you make these plenty of times. Go rest, and I'll finish for you."

She took a breath and nodded, accepting his offer, "Alright. I'll go lay down then. Thank you, Darling."

"No problem at all, Angel."

Adelaide turned and they shared a couple kisses before she turned the kitchen over to him and made her way to the bedroom, anxious to get off her feet and relax for the first time all day. Just as she was about to get into bed, she heard a strange pop and then felt a burst of warm liquid rush down her legs. After a couple moments of, she realized what was happening and braced herself on the bedside table. Well, I guess Mirabella has about as much patience as her father...

"Sherlock?!"

Sorry for the long wait everyone, but I hope you liked the chapter! Please consider voting or dropping a comment if you're enjoying the story! Love y'all!! 😘❤