Chapter 3

He is here and he's talking to me after years upon years. He's standing in front of me and talking to me. How was I unable to sense his power? How did I not notice him come in? Was I too distracted that I wasn't able to tell if an original was in the same vicinity as me? I was pulled away from my thinking when I heard him talk again.

"I'm sorry I didn't intended to frighten you. I just saw what you did for your friend and I thought it was rather kind of you." he said but you can see it in his eyes he doesn't know me and is trying his best to figure me out and it was good thing. They don't remember and they never will I kept reminding myself.

"She's my friend I would do anything for her. I treat her as if she was my sister." I replied looking up to him.

"I forgot to introduce myself my name is Elijah Mikaelson"   he started " and what is your name?"

" It's Megan, Megan Selinofoto" I answered 

"A  Greek last name, are you a local?" he asked

"I am of Greece but not born here, I am from Eleusis" I replied "What of you? The town has begun talking about the new noble men, the Mikaelsons, who have graced Athens with their presence" I continued with a small smile

He let out a small chuckle before replying "Well my family and I have been traveling for most part of our lives and we decided to stay in Athens for a time and see why many has called this destination, a paradise"

"In my opinion, this city is only for those who understand it and those who appreciate it" I said

"Please do elaborate" he  asked

"Well Athens is a city that thrives on community and innovation, while barbaric disputes are saved for Sparta. Here its all about family, peace, and working with each other. For those who understand that they can properly appreciate the beauty of this place. If not I suggest Bulgaria." I spoke.

"Such a strong opinion I would say, my dear Megan, what drove you to that?" he questioned

"Well  I've mentioned I was born in Eleusis " I begun and he nodded me to continue "but after a tragic incident with my parents I moved in with my distant relatives here in Athens so for most of my life I've spent it here in Athens and I have seen this city thrive even in times of despair" 

"It seems to me the root of your opinions about Athens stems from your relationship and your upbringing here" He concluded as small smirk gracing his face. He was smart and intelligent but I guess that's because of his age.

"Well that's enough about me, what about you? Why do you travel so much" I asked

"Why don't you make an educated guess" he suggested

"Well you travel and your noble men which means you are rather wealthy and most people would say you do it for the scenery" I said 

"But not you" he added

I nodded before continued "No I think that maybe you are running away from someone, and whoever this person is, has the intention to catch you" I answered

He looked at me shocked and calculating trying to see why my answer was so accurate. He seems rather impressed that it was the actual truth and  I was able to see right through him and this troubled him slightly. I just knew it.

"My such an accusation, who pray tell would be so interested in acquiring us?" he half joked 

"That's for you to tell me or for you to figure it out" I countered

I knew, by the look on his face I had triumph his 500 or so year intellect was not that to compare to mine. Though I must admit for his 500 years he had surpassed my intellect at that age but I wouldn't expect less from the noble original.

Though in this proximity it seems so surreal. Yesterday I was in this very tavern drinking and trying to forget  the day we first meet and now I was talking to him though, I knew doesn't remember our first encounter I made a promise to myself, not wipe his memory today I'll let him keep it. So that the guilt of the matter won't eat away at me.

I heard him calling my name "Megan , I do implore you to listen"

"Sorry I was rather lost thought" I apologized

"It's no problem and your point view is ...different but it is also a rather fresh look and new perspective given by a remarkable young lady like your self" he mused

"Oh don't flatter yourself Elijah we are about the same age and at least you accepted my opinion most would be enraged" I exclaimed 

"Well that may be true others would get furious but I am not most people" I remarked 

"Would you like me to take you home tonight?"he asked

"What a true gentleman you are Elijah, certainly chivalrous to garner the hearts of many" I pointed out 

I heard him mumble something but I couldn't her it sometimes I wish that I could have supernatural hearing like Anne but you can't have everything.

"Well before we leave I would like to say my farewells to my friends" I started and looked at him "so would it be alright if I come back here while you wait?"

"Why of course" he agreed

Soon I made my way to the area where many people were dancing and found myself where Anne, Marie, and Charity were 

"We saw the whole thing, Megan, he is quite the charmer and he looks so refined you two while make the perfect pair" Marie shrieked 

"Yes he is dashing isn't he, you better take him home tonight or I will do it for you" Charity slurred and in that moment I turned bright red and faced Elijah he was looking at me with a smirk on his face.

"Don't mind them, Megs, they're more than drunk " Anne remarked

"Well I can see that " I pointed out "but I have to leave early Elijah's taking me home" I replied

"Yes, excellent" Charity squealed

"Not like that Charity but I do have to leave, goodbye, I'll see you tomorrow" I called to them while walking away and sending Edith a quick wave goodbye while she was talking to the young lad I told her to talk to and made my way back to Elijah.

"Please tell me you didn't hear their screaming" I pleaded

"I heard every word" he joked but I knew he really did and I didn't really mind. We started making our way out of the tavern and straight to my house or rather cottage. As soon as we reached outside the cold air started to get to me, Elijah immediately removed his jacket and draped it on my shoulders.

"You're quite the old soul, aren't you?" I muttered looking up at him. There was a height difference at least 2 to 3 inches

"Is that a bad thing" he inquired

"No not really-" I was stopped when I saw a bright flame burning in the distance. At first Elijah looked at me quizzically then followed my line sight and saw it too.

I begun running at the direction of the fire while Elijah called my name and told me to stop I didn't listen and soon made my way in front of the origin of the fire. Everyone was running around gathering water from the lakes or wells in then city. The origin of the fire was a little bit on the outskirts of the city so it will take a while for them to stop the fire.

Next thing I knew Elijah was beside me and I believe he used his normal running and his' vampire speed to come here as to not get caught that he is a vampire but that didn't really matter right now and the fire was burning brighter and larger. The place of the fire was 

my house.