Chapter 4

When I see the flame through the stone wall and somehow I knew this wasn't a mere accident the way the flames was too fast and too strong to have been an ordinary flame there was magic involved here I am sure of it, but the question is why would someone do this?

Then I remembered my grimoires that are still inside thousands upon thousands of spell. I don't want them to be lost by fire. This moment has left me unable to think properly and to think rationally. It made me forget Elijah was standing right next to me.

Without a second thought I ran inside the burning house. The flames licking my skin but it didn't hurt but the smoke was dense my eyes begun to water. I was taking in larger breaths. I heard Elijah banging on the barrier of the door. I muttered a simple 'come in' and he came through the door.

Muttering an incantation the flames begun to slowly die down but I was left with something far more gruesome and Elijah with an unreadable expression on his face. But right now that didn't matter, what did was right in front of me.

There was a pentagram on the floor made with a red substance which I assumed was blood and a headless dog and three dog heads scattered within the pentagram. Not only that, there was something written on the wall right above my bed, it was of the same red substance as the pentagram. It said 'your downfall will bring about her rise' capitalizing on the words, your and her. The thing is that the body and what I assume is blood was unscathed by the fire.

"What happened here?" Elijah asked after being so quiet and watching the seen unfold

"It seems to me someone is trying to send a message"I concluded

"But why?"Elijah wondered

"It doesn't matter right now" I dismissed

I walked forward to where the pentagram is inspecting it. The red substance I now am absolutely sure it was blood, but not of humans, at least more of animal, not dog as I first suspected but snake. I went to touch it to be sure but as soon as it touched my skin it burned me like what vervain would do to vampires.

As soon as it hurt, it was gone. I knew that it was serpent blood mixed with a little blood of witche's. That would explain why it went untouched by the fire but that doesn't still explain why it burned my skin.

I didn't realize until now why it stung me, it had mistletoe.

Whoever did this, whoever is targeting me, knows what I am and who I am that much is clear with the blatant use of dogs and snakes in this pentagram but who are these people, not many know what I am and the few who do, are people I trust not to tell another soul unless I tell them to.

While I was thinking I noticed Elijah kneel to the floor near the pentagram placed his hand on the blood and smelled him and his nose wrinkled in disgust before standing up and grabbing a piece of cloth from his back pocket and wiping the blood off.

"It's human and snake blood" he pointed out

"It's witch, not human actually" I stated in a matter of fact way

We looked at each other an awkward silence over us. Only now did I notice he was wearing a suit fit for a prince and his hair wasn't tied back like the first time I saw him, it was just flowing freely.

To avoid the awkwardness of the moment, I looked around going to see the area if there was anymore details I haven't seen yet or haven't found. After inspecting the entire house and deemed it all checked, I hear the people outside were saying things like the fires done and let's head back home. This is one of the reasons I love it here in Athens everybody is looking out for each other.

"I suggest you step back" I informed him

He took a step back from the pentagram and the carcass of the dog or dogs rather. I muttered a few incantations and the blood slowly started turning clear and into a water like substance. When the blood had been completely gone, I, few movements from my hand made the carcass burn again in flames then soon died down and was only left with ashes of the dead dog.

I slowly made my way to my dresser, though charred, was still standing and I open it to see that my chest of grimoires was safe. Thank the gods I decided to put a protection spell over it. I tried to pull it out but it was too heavy and my struggling became evident because Elijah helped me get it out

"Thank you" I muttered softly and he only nodded in response

Opening the chest, I notice that all of my grimoires were still there meaning that they either didn't know about these or they were really just sending a message like I originally thought. I started getting the books out of the chest.

"Let me help you" Elijah offered

"Okay here" I answered handing him half of the pile before started heading out of the house

"Where will you stay tonight?" he asked me, though I didn't tell him this was my house I think he just understood with the way I acted.

"I'll wait for Charity to get home and I shall sleep with her until I can find a new house"I replied

"Why, not sleep at our manor? Though my brother and sister will be their I will make sure they do not disturb you" he proposed

"I couldn't, I will just burden you, Elijah" I objected

"You will be no burden to me or my family" he insisted 

"I will accept but I must warn you I will look for whoever did this" I agreed

"And I will help you" he countered

He started leading the way to where his' manor was and the walk was silent, you could only hear the sound of crickets and the hoots of the owls and talking but they were far away. It was already late at night around midnight. There was tension between me and Elijah I knew he was just begging to ask me something.

"What do you want to ask or do you want to talk about it?" I asked breaking the silence

"Excuse me?" he said 

"I can see the look on your face, I know you want to say something, so please do" I declared

"You're a witch" he stated plainly

"And you're a vampire an original at that" I divulged

"How did you know?" he asked wearily

"Elijah, I am a powerful witch I knew that when we started talking, I can sense your power" I explained

"Does your friends know as well?" he inquired

"Yes, in fact all my friends are supernatural creatures as well" I remarked

"So if you know I am an original, I take it you know Niklaus and Rebekah as well" he concluded

"Yes I know who they are" I informed

By the time we were done conversing we reached his manor or when I look at it now seems to be a castles, with larger doors and adorned with beautiful Corinthian order columns. He soon open the doors gestured me to come in and the inside was even more beautiful with a fountain sporting the goddess Aphrodite. 

Elijah lead me through hallways and passages around the manor until we reached a room that I assumed was going to be were I'm going to stay. He entered  and placed the books on the desk and went to look at me.

"Niklaus and Rebekah are not here tonight, they must be out" he reasoned

"Is that a good or bad thing?" I asked

"It is a good thing, you will see them in the morning" re reasurred

"Thank you Elijah" I thanked

"My pleasure, Megan" he started "good night, we shall talk more in the morning but for now you need to rest" he continued

I closed the door and dropped the books to where Elijah placed his pile as well. I removed my shoes and made way to the bed and just slept from the rather tiring, physically and emotionally, night. I could worry about finding the people who desecrated my home tomorrow.