Chapter 10: Protcols and Reunions

The main battery door slid open and closed behind Shepard. She could hear Garrus and his low rumbling voice. She let her eyes fall to the makeshift bunk he had. A military duffle bag sat neatly underneath next to a personal bag. His visor was laying on the bunk. She could hear a soft sound of music coming from it. She turned when she heard him tell the Primarch he was seeing the same data as Adrian regarding the battle.

Shepard walked to the right of the battery and noticed a sniper rifle on the workbench. From the looks of it, Garrus had been cleaning it and was letting some lubricant set on the pieces before assembling it. She stepped down into the battery area and saw Garrus leaned over looking at the mechanics.

He turned off the coms and turned to face her. In the light of the battery she could make out his scars more so than on Palavens moon. They were healing nicely, but at this point what was there is what would likely be there for the rest of his life. He looked tired.

"So, is this where we...shake hands? Wasn't sure on the protocol for reunions. My scars are fading. I remember they drove you wild. I can go out and get all new ones if that would help."

He played off with the humor, but Shepard knew him well enough to know that deep down he was still that nerdy kid that never thought he would get the girl. She smiled and laughed at his joke about getting new scars.

She heard Victus in her head reminding her not to let the chance slip through her fingers. In that moment, she remembered so much. She remembered the video she just saw of Garrus vs Kaidan. She remembered laughing with Garrus the night of Horizon. Watching the game, drinking beers, and just relaxing. She remembered their first night together. He just wanted things to go right. She remembered their last night together when he left her with the wings she still wore around her neck. All those memories happened in a flash.

She smiled and leaned forward. Her hand touching his scars and her lips meeting his. She felt his hands meet her hips and draw her into him. She felt his hands tremble a bit then grip her. The kiss was soft, but intense. She pulled back first and smiled at him. He looked relieved.

"That's the protocol on reunions."

He smiled at her and took her hands in his. Most men would have told her they loved her or gushed over her a bit. Garrus didn't. He said everything he needed to in his next words.

"The video mentioned it might go something like that. I had hoped it would, I mean, i didn't know..."
He trailed off. Her heart was nearly beating out of her chest. He had hoped. Hoped this would happen.

"I missed you Garrus. I thought about you a lot."
He smiled. "I'm glad to know my romantic skills made an impression. Nothing is going to come between this cross species liaison."

"Speaking of which. You're the expert on reaper forces now?"

They talked about his new position, his family still on the planet, and more. She knew where her heart was. She knew how he felt. Now, she just had to make sure Kaidan understood too.