Chapter 17: Preparing to Dock and Breakup

Shepard felt something gentle and soft rub across her arm. Most people would wake slowly to whatever it was. Shepard decided to wake by trying to put the offensive, whatever it was, in an arm bar. Her eyes fully opened when she heard an "Oww" through laughter and a deep guttural laugh. She sat up to a wide awake Garrus. He was already dressed in his armor from the feet up to his waist. His undershirt was in place, but not his top armor. She smelled coffee and glanced over at the table to see cups sitting out already.

"So, is this the turian way or are you trying to butter me up for something? I'm not complaining, just curious." She smirked and walked over to the table, grabbing a cup and making her way to the bathroom. Garrus heard the water turn on and smiled. Standing up he walked to the doorway watching Shepard shower in the hot streams of water.

"Ahh, call it a little of column A, little column B."

At this words, Jane stopped with her fingers still massaging shampoo into her hair. She glared at him. "Spill it Vakarian."

He chuckled, turning his back on her and walking back into the main area of the quarters.

"Mordin has a cure. Meeting is in ten minutes." He smirked into this coffee as he heard the long list of cuss words and speciality words that only she could come up with. One of which being his personal favorite, tit whiskers. He still wasn't sure where it came from, but it always made him giggle when he heard it.

A few minutes later they were walking together towards the meeting in the war room. Shepard noticed that once they were out of the lift from leaving the captain's cabin, he went into full soldier and bodyguard mode. It made her smile, even though the little voice in the back of her head came up and questioned if this was all for the job. She shook that voice out and began listening to Mordin.

The shroud facility seemed like the right plan. She had to agree. She got everyone on board with it and looked at Mordin.

"What's the ETA Mordin? I want to try and handle a few things before we do this."

Mordin nodded. "Understood Shepard. It will take at least a day to get to the Krogan DMZ and another two days to prepare everything."

Shepard nodded and crossed her arms, a sign she was thinking over something. "Take the next two days to complete the cure and prepare for it disbursal at the shroud. We will make out stops at the Citadel and go to the DMZ."

Mordin agreed and everyone went to their separate areas of the war room and ship. Shepard walked over to Victus and Garrus as they talked in hushed voices. Garrus nodded at her. He had his arms crossed in front of him and his hip out a bit. It had only been a few days since Victus had lost his son on Tuchanka, trying to diffuse a bomb. She felt for him. He seemed to be holding it together though.

"Primarch." Shepard nodded.

Victus put his hand up. "Please Commander, Adrian. With this war, we don't need to be as formal as all that. I was just speaking to Garrus about the possible outcome of this cure on Tuchanka. We will give support as soon as we have Wrex on board. Do you see any potential issues?"

Shepard listened and took in a deep breath. She leaned her ass against the console and shook her head. "Honestly, no. If it were his brother Wreav I would. Wrex is solid. So is Eve. I think we will be safe."

Victus agreed. "Long-lasting peace. Now there is a different story. Though, it isn't long-lasting we are concerned with is it? Ah, I'll let you to it then Commander. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do. I'll be making arrangements for my bondmate and our youngest. They made it to the Citadel this morning, but I may be seeking other accommodations temporarily."

As he went to leave the two alone, he tapped a talon on Shepards right shoulder juncture at the base of her neck. Looking at Garrus he said, "Right about there I would think. Hard to say on a human."

He smirked and walked off leaving Garrus turning fifty shades of red and coughing nervously.

"Something I should know?" Jane was amused. She understood the reference easily enough.

"Not...yet. So, need me for something?"

The two began walking from the war room and towards the CIC. Shepard stopped Garrus at the conference room.

"Garrus, I'm going to the Citadel and...I don't want you to go with me."

Garrus looked at her for a moment and shook his head. "No, I'm going. Next."

"I knew you would say that. Fine, but you'll have to stand outside. I have to go see Kaidan."

She let the words hang for a minute. Garrus nodded. "Why?"

"He asked me to. He is feeling better and I want to set things straight with him. About our past, and about you..and us."

She let the last two words dangle in the air. She watched as Garrus took in her words and then moved to her. He put a hand on either shoulder and kissed her forehead before releasing her.

"Fine. I'll stand outside and make myself useful there. After that though, we go to Apollo's and I get you lunch. I also need to stop by my apartment and clear it out. I'm giving it up to house a general and his wife from Palavan."

"Wait, you have an apartment on the Citadel?" She looked surprised which made Garrus laugh a little.

"Yeah, the apartment was always there. It was my dads when he worked there, then mine when I joined C-Sec. Dad kept it up and then I took over when I was given the task force. It was a backup plan or place to stay when we visited. Nothing major. I'll show you around." He smiled. It seemed to please him to make the offer. She wondered if it was a turian thing. She really needed to brush up on social customs.

"Sounds good. We should be docking soon."

Garrus nodded and the both went their separate ways on the ship.

Shepard stopped at her private terminal, cleared messages, and replied to the one sent by Kaidan with a quick note saying she would see him soon. She closed out the terminal and took a deep sigh. She hoped this would be as painless as she hoped it would be.