Chapter 24: Talks with Friends and Cats up Trees

The destruction on the Citadel wasn't as bad as Shepard thought it was going to be. There were broken windows, and hundreds of injuries, but it could have been much much worse. The dead were mourned and buried within a few days of the attack. Even with that, there still didn't seem to be a realization that the war was even happening. It boggled her mind.

She had meet with Bailey, finished a few errands that gained support, and now was on her way to see Miranda. They had already met up twice. All Shepard knew was that Oriana had gone dark, Cerberus was hunting Miranda, and Miranda was trying to sort it all out. She had no idea what this meetup was going to be. It was the last thing she had to do before going back to the Normandy.

She looked at her omnitool for the room number Miranda had given her. Jogging up the stairs she found the room easily enough and used the key card she was given. The door opened and Miranda turned from looking out the window.

"Shepard. Thank you for coming."

They spoke for a few minutes. Miranda asked her for access to Alliance files, which Shepard granted. They spoke for a few minutes about how Miranda fell terrible for choices she had made, or had thought about making. Shepard forgave her.

They stood at the window for a few minutes and Miranda spoke first. "Shepard can I ask you something personal?"

Shepard sat down at the table and smiled. "Sure. Ask away."

Miranda smiled and sat down on the bed, more relaxed that normal with her legs crossed. "Has he said he loves you? What I mean is... oh shit I'm awful at this. Has he...do you know how Turians handle relationships?"

Miranda stopped and got that look on her face. The one that was close to rolling her eyes.

Shepard was trying to keep a straight face but her shoulders shaking was giving it away. She had moved her hand to her mouth to cover the laughter. She even put her hand up trying to apologize for laughing but couldn't do it.

"I'm sorry...ask your questions." She was laughing at Miranda, but more for the way Miranda approached relationships and questions about them. It was all so to the point and clinical.

Miranda laughed a little and shook her head. "Well, has he?"

Jane took a sip of the beer Miranda offered her and swallowed as she shook her head. "Not in specific words no. But, I do know from the little research I have done that Turian's tend to approach that sort of thing much differently. They show actions of love, devotion, and commitment. The words are used but..."

Miranda cut in. "They are said, but not like humans do. They are very private, very personal, and very sparing. Saved for the most personal of moments. The reason I asked is because.."

Now it was Shepard's turn to kick in. "You're nosey as hell."

Miranda laughed a bit at that. "Well, yes, but also I didn't want you to start doubting him over something like that. He is a good man Shepard. From the bit I observed while serving with you he had your back. He covered you on the battlefield and off. He truly cared, even if just as a friend. Shepard, you rescued each other. I'm not sure you realize that. What I'm trying to say is, if you were going to be with anyone, if there was anyone I would fight for you to be with, it would be him."

Shepard nodded. "I appreciate that Miranda. Truly I do. It's been difficult in a way. Not for us per say. Just with everything going on. It seems like there seems to always a cat up a tree that if I don't go rescue we don't have the support we need for the war. Then when I get back from rescuing that cat, there's five more cats. He is there though. Everytime."

Miranda nodded. "Good. Everyone needs that Shepard. Everyone."

Shepard stood and smiled at Miranda hugging her, catching Miranda totally off guard. That made Shepard laugh a bit.

"I have to go Miranda. Please let me know if you need more help. Send it through Liara if you need to. We have to go meet with the Quarians."

Miranda nodded. "Not sure how that will go for you Shepard. Good luck."

Shepard left and headed down the stairs towards the commons. She was hoping this went well. She knew they would likely have Quarian support, but she didn't like how this went down. The call was odd and frankly she hoped she wouldn't be dealing with the Quarians, Geth, and everything else. She wasn't sure where she would get the strength.