Chapter 43: Shore Leave Begins

Garrus made his way through the shops and storefronts of the Citadel. The goal was to get all of the meetings and items on his to-do list out of the way so he could actually enjoy shore leave with Shepard. He had already handled brokering some food and medicine exchanges, picked up some cleaning supplies for three of his rifles, upgraded the mod on his visor, and now he was on his way to see Adrian.

He spotted the Primarch standing near the C-sec office trying to break away from the Asari councilor. Garrus had to smirk at the scene. He watched for a moment and finally decided to save him. Walking up he cleared his throat and put on his best professional voice.

"Primarch Victus! We have a situation that needs your attention right away. The fleet has been recalled to Earth, but we have formation issues. We need your assistance immediately." Garrus walked up with all the professionalism and military grace he could muster.

Victus sighed and nodded his head. "Counselor, though I do understand your plight I have urgent issues to attend to. You've met my counselor? Yes?"

He waved a hand toward Garrus who simply nodded. The counselor sighed heavily. "Vakarian." She nodded to him and turned back to Victus. "Adrian, we simply must discuss this later. Advise me of an appropriate time."

Adrian nodded as the counselor left. He turned to a chuckling Garrus.

"Garrus, had you not come when you did I would have moved to drastic measures. Like stabbing my own leg."

Garrus laughed out loud and patted Victus on the back leading them toward some tables in the commons. They sat down at Apollo's and waived over a waiter. It took a few minutes to get their orders in an get drinks. By that time they both were leaned back and relaxed.

"So, let's see it." Adrian looked at Garrus and tapped his own neck.

Garrus leaned up and moved slightly so his neckline was visible. Adrian nodded as he looked over the now shiny scar that was left behind.

"Very nice. Clean mark. Looks like she doesn't just have a big mouth when she's talking." He chuckled a little and took a sip of his drink.

"Oh ha ha. Laugh it up. Keep going and I'll go tell the Asari councilor you have your entire afternoon free."

Victus looked up from his drink. "You wouldn't."

"I was C-Sec. I can bellow across this entire commons so loud she could hear me across the Presidium. Try me."

Adrian shook his head. "Bastard. So, tell me what the plan is for the actual ceremony. There will be a ceremony, yes?"

Garrus nodded and swallowed the sip of beer he had in his mouth.

"Yes. The plan is to have it after all this over. It will probably be just a small gathering. If there is anything left to gather to." His face got grim, which made Adrian pause.

"What's wrong Vakarian? War getting to you?"

Garrus shook his head a bit. "No, not really. I suppose the problem is the same as it is for anyone else really. The last time I was facing a suicide mission I knew what the outcome would likely be. I also didn't have anything to really fight for. Jane and I had one night at that point and within a few hours of it we were fighting collectors. When the Reapers hit Palavan, I didn't even know if she was alive. I went straight into fighting with the hope she was alive, but I didn't know where we stood really."

Adrian nodded, listening, as he always did with Jane and Garrus. They were a lot alike in the regard. Adrian simply needed to start the ball rolling and let them carry it the rest of the way. Maybe that's what made the three of them such good friends. They understood each other.