Chapter 19: Dinner and Views

Garrus was trying not to let Kaidan get to him. He heard what Shepard had to say to him. He knew how she felt. Kaidan was trying to get a rise out of him, and it was going to take a lot more than a declaration of love to do it. Shepard on the other hand was seething. So much so that Garrus wasn't sure if he should be amused or remove her from public for awhile.

They stepped into the elevator and Garrus paused the lift. He turned to Jane and crossed his arms. "You know you are letting him get what he wants right? He is just trying to get a rise."

Jane shook her head and sighed. "I know. I'm not mad about what he said. I'm irritated about his methods. The bottom line is, Kaidan is a good man. He is a great soldier. He isn't the best in social circles, but he holds his own. The problem is he has this viewpoint that I'm sorry fixes it all. He can say things, horrible hurtful things, and say it was because of his emotions. He says I'm sorry and you should open the doors back wide. He hasn't had the time in to realize it doesn't work that way."

Garrus nodded. He understood. He had the same viewpoint during his first relationship. He learned quickly after that. Maybe that's why this little fiasco wasn't bothering him as much.

"Shepard, you know he is going to try to go at us a bit. Just stand your ground." He smiled and flipped the lift back into action. He leaned in, letting his forehead brush hers.

As they exited the lift and began their walk to Apollo's Shepard stopped and reached for Garrus' hand. He turned around, taking her hand in his. "Hmm?"

She looked down at their hands and back at his eyes. "If this is too much for you, if this is more than you want to deal with..."

He pulled her to him cutting her off. She had to relish in the fact that he didn't care who saw them or what they thought of what they did see. He rubbed her back and pulled back a bit, moving a talon under chin and lifting her eyes to his.

"I am exactly where I want to be."

He didn't wait for her to respond. He took her hand and lead her along to Apollo's.

They ordered their food and drinks. The drinks came out and Garrus smiled.

"What?" She asked him with a smile.

"We never had dinner out together. It's always been on the Normandy in the mess, your quarters, or take out. This. This is new." Garrus explained as he began to sip on the blue liquid he ordered.

Shepard smiled and sipped her drink. "And? How is it?"

Garrus smiled a bit and chuckled. "Nice. If you had told me ten years ago that I would be sitting at the Citadel, having lunch with a human, feeling at peace and complete.. I would have laughed. Funny where paths lead us."

Shepard nodded and leaned back as their food arrived. They spent the next hour talking and enjoying the food as if a war wasn't going on. What struck Shepard most was that it wasn't shop talk. It was everything from errands they both needed to run to him picking on her about her little OCD's. She never had that before. What she didn't realize was neither had he.

As they paid the check and got up to leave, their omni tools went off. They had two hours before they had to leave the Citadel and head back to the DMZ.

"Apartment?" Shepard asked.

"Commander? Are you flirting with me?" He faked shock and put his hand to his chest.

Shepard laughed. "If I said yes?"

Garrus chuckled and pulled her to the transport. " I'm just making sure I'm not getting mixed signals."

They laughed as they got on the transport and headed to the apartment.

Shepard didn't know what to expect. She knew there were levels of apartments just like in any area. She also knew there were smaller colonies all around the main area of the Citadel. As the transport kept going Shepard noticed they were moving into a much nicer neighborhood than she expected. It reminded her of the Garden District in New Orleans and the pictures she had seen of similar areas.

The transport finally stopped. Garrus took her hand and lead her off the transport. As they walked the covered pathways, he put his arm around her. She noticed there was no hesitancy. It was just natural. He smiled when they reached a doorman. Shepard quircked an eyebrow as the turian at the door nodded.

"Mister Vakarian sir. I trust you are having a good day?" He opened the door for them and Garrus nodded back.

"Yes, thank you. I hope you have a nice day as well."

Garrus lead Shepard through the door and into the lift. As they stepped in, Shepard looked at him. Garrus cleared his throat.

"My parents have owned this apartment for a long time. That's all. Dad was well known and admired in C-Sec. The Vakarian name is, well it's well known."

Shepard looked at him for a moment. "How well known?"

Garrus was going to answer just as the door opened. Shepard turned to what she thought was going to be a hall of apartments but instead was a small entryway like the one to her captain's cabin.

Garrus took out a keycard and popped it into the scanning slot. They waited and the light turned green. He turned the handle and Jane felt the rush of cool air and the soft smell of honeysuckle and vanilla.

He stepped in and flipped on the lights as he dropped the keycard into a bowl at the door. He turned to her and held his hand out.

"Come on in. You are welcome in my apartment and in any dwelling owned by Vakarians."

The invitation seemed a bit formal. "That was formal." Jane stated as she entered the room.

"Was that a turian custom of some kind?"

Garrus smiled and stepped into a room that turned out to be the kitchen. It was beautiful with slate and copper accents.

He nodded at her and opened the fridge. There was some fresh food in there and he nodded in approval. He closed the door and began checking things in the cabinets and around the kitchen.

"It's a turian thing in a manner of speaking. It means you have a home in my home. Basically."

He walked through and into the living room area and bedroom checking for things. Shepard watched as he grabbed a bag and began tossing items into it. As he did Shepard looked out the window of the living room area to the gardens outside. It was breathtaking.

"Yes, you are." She heard him say. She turned and he smiled as he tossed a book into the bag and went back to the bedroom.

"I didn't mean to say that outloud." Jane said as she followed Garrus. She stepped around the corner and felt hands grab her and spin her around. Her back hit the wall and Garrus' mouth was on hers.

There was a small groan from him as he kissed her then suddenly pulled back. He let his forehead rub hers before he pulled totally back and began packing things again as if nothing had just happened.

"What the hell Garrus?" Jane looked stunned.

Garrus smiled. " Just a friendly reminder from your neighborhood turian about what you have."

Jane smiled and watched him finish just in time for them to leave for the Normandy.