Chapter 33: In the Eye of a Shadow

The date with Garrus had been nothing short of perfection. After lunch, he dropped the keys off at the sky car rental and walked Jane to the commons. He had to meet with a member of the turian council, negotiate some supply chains, and maybe just maybe he would be able to make it back to the Normandy before it was too late to do anything. He even mentioned to Jane something about a poker game before he left Jane to go meet with Miranda.

Jane had to admit that one of the many things she loved about Garrus was the ability to remain somewhat normal even in total chaos. A poker game in the middle of a war where he was looked at as a leader for his people. One step under the Primarch was the going rumor, if she understood the politics at all. Hell, just a few days before the suicide mission he was shopping around Illium for some gun fittings and a new cleaning kit. They had even taken in a movie while they were there, as friends at that time, but still. Totally normal in a time of chaos.

Jane spent the next few hours meeting with a checklist of people. She didn't mean for her friends to become a to do list, but right now that is how it felt. Miranda was a business and personal meet up. She didn't say anything that Jane didn't already know or suspect. Though it did feel like a good bye last call sort of meeting. Jane didn't like it but what could she do?

She met with everyone else leaving the final two people on her list for the day being Kaidan and Liara. She decided to meet with Liara first. She was the closest and Jane was fairly sure Liara wanted to talk to her about things other than the weather and everyone's health. She was right on her hunch. They did talk for a few minutes and then, after some silence, Liara motioned for them to go sit at a quiet area away from the commons.

They grabbed something to drink and sat down. "What is it Liara? Spill it."

Jane took a sip of her coffee and looked at Liara who seemed to be worried about something.

"Shepard, have you and Garrus decided what you are to each other? When I visited you after you helped me, he was one of the things you were fighting for. A one night stand that had turned into something more. Or so it seemed. Is that the case?" She said it so calmly and academically that it took Shepard off guard.

She wasn't sure exactly what Liara was getting at, but she was willing to play along.

"We have. It was a long road, that I wish we would have stepped onto sooner. Is there something I should know?"

Liara shook her head. "No, of course not. I just...oh I see. Yes, that could have sounded like I had a problem or there was a problem. Well, perhaps there is. It's my concern though and not anything solid."

"What's going on Liara? You only pull this academic and stoic act when something is really bothering you. Just ask it."

Liara nodded and glanced over to Apollo's. Sitting at one of the tables, looking over a menu, was Kaidan.

"Jane, are you sure you and Garrus are secure enough to weather the storm?"

Liara took a sip of her drink only to spit it out in a coughing fit when Jane answered her.

"Do you mean can we make it through reapers and the attempted cock block by a certain Major?"

Yep, that did. Liara as coughing. Jane leaned over and patted her on the back as she chuckled.

"It's amazing Liara. You are a member of one of the most seductive and sexually open races this galaxy has to offer. Yet, the word cock always breaks you."

She let Liara settle a bit and waited for the smile that would be hidden behind a hand. It was one of the cuter aspects of Liara. Jane laughed a bit when it happened.

"Honestly? I think he is into Tali. I really don't think that this conversation is going to be anything more than a friendly lunch, with a bit about Tali mixed in. Knowing Kaidan he will probably apologize for liking Tali and want my well wishes for him to move on. I'm not concerned. Garrus and I have more issues from Jimmy Vega that we would ever from Kaidan."

She took a final sip of her coffee and chucked the cup into the nearest bin.

"Yes, but Jane what if you are wrong. What if he is still interested?" Liara looked truly worried.

Jane shook her head slowly. "Doesn't matter. Could he make things a little difficult for us? Sure. Would he? Maybe. Is it going to make or break myself and Garrus? No. It's going to take a lot more than an ex-lover current Major to tear this apart."

Liara nodded. "Good. He's good for you Jane and you are good for him. Garrus spends so much of his time keeping things at an arms length waiting for it to explode. Seeing him with you. Seeing him happy. It's something I wish I could have seen sooner, but am glad to see now. I know that regardless of what happens, as long as you two have each other you and he will be taken care of. It's one less thing for a century year old Shadow Broker to worry about."

Jane smiled at her and nodded. "I'm glad you approve. You know that was a concern of his at first? The crew finding out and problems coming up from it. I'm just hoping that the people coming to me with support are also going to him. He needs to know we have support as well. Now, I have to go see what this issue with Kaidan is about. He is the last person to see before I head over to the Normandy, sit in on a poker game, and maybe..."

Liara smirked and cut in. "Not get cock blocked?"

Jane faked being shocked. "Liara! I am shocked at you. Such dirty wording."

They both laughed and Jane headed over to Apollo's.