Chapter 45: Thoughts and Metal

Shepard stood in front of the half fogged mirror in the master bathroom. Garrus was still showering and letting the hot water run down his back. He finally admitted to her that his neck and back had been a little stiff since the assault on Thessia. He had tried some pain killers, but they just weren't kicking in. The shower in the apartment was much hotter than the Normandy and it seemed to soothe him a bit.

She ran her hand along the mirror, smearing away the fog. Turning her neck a bit she looked at her bondmark. Her hand absently moved to it and her fingers traced over the scar. She had kept it hidden on and off. Sometimes it was just the diplomatic thing to do. Other times she hadn't really thought about it because the uniform covered it. After the videos from the Lazarus project and then the clone though, things had changed.

She remembered, for a moment, seeing the clone the first time. When she saw the lack of a bondmark on the clone it jolted her for a minute. She remembered feeling sad. Sad at the thought of being the clone, of not having that memory. Of not having any memories of Garrus or how they got to where they are. That's when it hit her. She couldn't be all machine if that simple of a thing caught her right in the feels.

The truth was, she never thought of herself as married really. Sure she had been engaged to Kaidan, but it never seemed as real as this. It always seemed like a lot of hassle with planning everything. Everything was about planning. Not with Garrus. Hell, there was no planning. It just was. They were together. There were no invitations, seating charts, music, or food. It was just simply them, in that moment, making a choice for a lifetime that didn't need a second of debate. That thought made her smile. It also made her realize that it was time to stop hiding Jane from everyone.

Sure, everyone had seen a bit of her here and there. But, these were her true friends. Her closest friends. Her family. None of them had seen Jane fully except for Garrus, Adrian, and Joker. The rest...only glimpses. Tonight that would change. By the spirits if she was going to be taken out in a blaze of reaper light, she was going to make damn sure people knew the side of her that meant the most. The out of uniform Jane. The Jane that sat in far too old PJs on a sofa watching a stupid broadcasted show while she ate cereal and let her hair fall in a messy ponytail. The Jane that liked to sit in shorts and a tank top and read a real book while she had coffee. The Jane that, on some mornings, woke up and turned on Krogan death metal while she made coffee. Okay, maybe not that Jane. But, the rest. Yes.

Garrus stepped out of the shower and wrapped a towel around his waist. "What are you doing? What's the smirk for."

"No one needs to see death metal Jane." She said through laughter.

"I know I didn't need to when I did." He shook his head as he reached for some oils for his shoulder.

"I think it's time for our friends to see the us that we usually hide away. The full off duty versions of us." She leaned on the counter and looked at her mate.

Garrus took a glance at her as he rubbed oil on dryer parts of his skin. Thessia had really messed with his moisture levels which normally would sound odd, but for turians and krogans it could be painful.

"So you decided to lead with death metal?" Garrus asked.

"No, I was just thinking that was an aspect of me. Like my cereal eating side."

"Equally as disturbing the first time I saw it. You looked like an overgrown kid."

Jane laughed a little and walked into the bedroom to find something to wear for the party.

"Really, because that picture you thought you would embarrass me with.. You know the one you sent to your sister Sol? Yeah, she got back to me and said it looked just like you used to when you were a teenager." She raised an eyebrow at him as he walked in looking shocked, removing the towel and tossing it to grab clothes.

"She didn't message you." He said as he pulled a shirt over his head and down his chest.

He turned just in time to come face to face with Jane holding up a tablet with the email. He read one line.

"OMG That looks like Gar when he was a fucking teenager. That's great!!!!" He frowned and scanned down to see his sisters signature.

"Fine! But it was still disturbing. And also I don't like you two teaming up. That makes me nervous and paranoid."

"But she is my sister in law now and as sisters..."

He put a finger up at her. "Stop it. Stop it now."

She let out a true full laugh, which honestly made him smile.

They both got dressed and Garrus smiled when he saw Jane choose a dress. It showed off the bondmark perfectly. He walked over tapping it lightly with his hand, then leaning in kissing her gently there.

"I love seeing that." He said roughly as he took in her perfume.

"I love seeing it on you too. I never thought I'd be married. I love it. I love you." Jane replied softly.

Garrus smiled against her neck and held her for a moment. "I always wanted the spirits to grant me with someone. I never imagined I'd luck out and get perfection."

Jane melted against him. It wasn't long before they heard the doorbell. The party was about to start.

"Are you ready to make our first social debut Mr. Vakarian?" She smiled up at him, her hair flowing down her shoulders like he liked it.

"I believe I am Mrs. Vakarian. Let's do this." He took her hand and lead her downstairs to greet everyone.