Chapter 36: The Fall of Thessia

Shepard didn't like this at all. They couldn't raise the scientists. They weren't even sure if they could get the artifact. Apparently, it was the Temple of Athame and had government funding. That didn't help the situation. As Liara talked about the temple and her mother, Shepard could hear and feel the explosions on the planet surface. She watched as Liara kept right on talking, but stayed academic. As if she didn't hear the explosions, or maybe didn't want to.

Garrus tried to give her a sort of pep talk, but it didn't seem to affect her. She thought not thinking of her people and trying to get to what they needed was callous. That worried Jane. She remembered what she saw on Earth, what they saw on Palavan. She could only imagine what they would find when the shuttle doors opened and she was damn sure that Liara wasn't going to handle it well. She loved her friend, but the last thing she needed was to stop and baby Liara or counsel her through this.

The shuttle doors opened to hellfire on the planet surface.

"You must be Commander Shepard." The voice came from one of the soldiers at a barrier that was made up just before a bridge. It wasn't good and it was getting worse. Reapers were in the sky, the Asari were running out of ammo fast, and frankly they were running out of people too.

Lt. Kurian caught Jane's attention and told her to get on a gun. She did and cleared the bridge along with Garrus and Liara. When it was clear off she heard something about a gunship.

"Commander, I'm Lt. Kurian. My orders are to hold this grid at all costs." Just after she spoke they were hit with more fire. She was getting her people out of there and fast.

Shepard explained what the situation was. The Lt., though not happy about it, agreed.

"This has to end," shouted Liara.

"Stay angry! You're going to need it to get through this." Garrus replied.

Garrus, Shepard, and Liara began to push through to the bridge. They fought through and finally made it to the end of the bridge. The building they headed into was destroyed, but had just enough walk area to get through and to the other side.

"On that building. We've got fire support." Liara barely got it out of her mouth before the cover fire was killed.

They finally caught site of the temple after fighting through several battle packed areas.

"This nightmare never ends." Liara shouted.

"The hell it won't. We get to this artifact and we can all wake up." Shepard responded back as she fired off what was left of her ammo and ducked to reload.

"Drinks will be on me." Garrus shouted as he covered both of them with his sniper rifle, picking off two more brutes.

Garrus had just finished his statement when they were bombarded again. They met up with the only living member of Outpost Tikus.

They were able to get two pilots to come in with weapons hot. They began to light up the reapers just enough to get Shepard and the team to the temple.

They made it to the temple gates after what seemed like an eternity. All of them were breathing heavy and exhausted. Liara managed to override the security and within a few minutes they were in. It didn't take them long to locate the scientists. It didn't take long to figure out what was going on and to start an attempt to access the artifact, the prothean beacon.

Jane walked by Garrus and whispered, "I don't like this. Liara is in denial. We have a government funded high security temple. I have a bad feeling Garrus. This isn't good."

Garrus nodded and touched her shoulder as he moved past and glanced at an Asari sculpture. "I agree. She's being way to clinical Shepard. Keep an eye out."