Chapter 44: Relaxation and Planning

Garrus walked with Shepard to the Silversun Strip. He had his arm around her waist as they strolled slowly to the apartment. They had picked up some things for the upcoming party they were planning, and for the three days after when they would be alone before having to go back to the Normandy. Shepard had made a pit stop during their shopping trip to spend an enormous amount of credits on Grunt.

"I still can't believe those damages. He burned up a C-Sec car." She said in disbelief as she glanced at some of the shop windows. It occurred to her, at one of them, that she had not worn civilian clothes in months. She didn't even know what was in style anymore. She was wearing what would pass for civilian clothes. The problem was they were yoga style pants, a zip up hoodie, and a tank top that all had the N7 logo. None of it was exactly fashion forward.

Garrus chuckled. He was dressed similar to her. The only difference was his hoodie, or what would pass for one, had some Turian script on the back that she was told stood for an academy on Palavan. Someplace he had taught at years ago as a summer internship of sorts.

"Might I remind you that you fell through a fish tank. Hmm, great story. Good one to tell when you meet the family for the first time. Always good to have an ice breaker with Turian in laws."

She smiled at him as they made their way to Tiberius Towers. They stepped through the elevator and inside.

"So he just gave it to you? That seems rather final don't you think?" Garrus asked as the elevator climbed to the apartment.

"Yeah, I thought so. I think if he makes it, and if Sanders makes it, his plan is to find something away from military activity. So, no Citadel. Some place quiet."

The doors opened and Garrus stepped through. Taking her hand they walked past the small furniture shop and to the entrance to the apartment hallway. He watched as Jane took out the key card and swiped it. The door beeped and they stepped through.

"So what do you want to do with the place after the war?" Garrus said as they made it to the door and inside the apartment itself.

"I hadn't really thought about it to be honest. What do you think?" Garrus blinked at that question as he sat the bags down in the kitchen. He looked around the apartment, just the two of them standing there for now.

"It's awful big for two people. We might have to work on filling it up." He smirked and pulled her to him as she smiled.

"Biology? Every think about that?"

He nodded. "Mmhmm. Adoption isn't unheard of. I'm thinking one human, one turian, one krogan. We could also go with one asari instead."

She pulled back a bit confused and amused. "Why just one asari?"

"They are a blend of all of them." He let the straight face go and started laughing.

"Sorry bad turian joke." He laughed.

She popped his arm and walked to the living room area. He watched how easy it was for her. She already seemed at home. He loved it. If he were to be honest he liked it too. It seemed right. Seemed easy. He could see children playing on a blanket in the tv room. Maybe one learning the piano, like his mother had played. Changing out the furniture a bit making the decor their own. He could live here. Easily.

He walked in to join her on the sofa. Reaching over he ran a talon through her hair.

"Penny for your thoughts." He said softly.

"Garrus what if..."

"No." He responded simply.

"But Garrus we have to talk about it."

"No, we don't. Because let me tell why. We've always had a back up plan. We've always had something in place. A protocol only we knew about it. Something we could pull out of our ass when we needed it. We will do the same. Once we get to Earth. Once we see what we are dealing with. We will do what we always do." He smiled at her.

He was right. She knew it. They had always come up with something. But what if this time there was nothing to come up with.

"There's always something to come up with. As long as you have one bullet, you have hope."

She blinked. "Did you just read my mind Counselor Vakarian Sir?"

"Um, that's advisor Vakarian and you can just call me...what is that you always call me during certain times? Oh yeah? God."

She rolled her eyes and laughed. He loved seeing her finally relaxed. Loved having her in his arms. He loved this. He could easily forget anything was going on outside those doors.

He cleared his throat a little and Jane caught the scent of sandalwood that she loved so much.

"No, I didn't read your mind, but I know what you were thinking. I have thought it too. We will come up with something. We always do."

He hugged her to him and she leaned back against his chest. They laid on the sofa like that for what seemed like forever. It had only been half an hour when they heard glyph.

"Commander. Would you like me to send out invitations now?"

Jane nodded and stretched against Garrus. "Yes, glyph. To everyone Adrian Victus on the list please."

Jane stood as glyph moved away. "Oh and glyph? Give us at least three hours to prepare."

Garrus laid on the sofa looking up at her. Damn he looked relaxed, she thought. She could get used to this.

"Come on you old soldier. We have to shower and get ready."

He smiled at her. "But I'm not dirty."

"Well maybe we should get you a little dirty then."