Chapter 8: How To Greet People

I lay on my bed on my stomach, reading a book when the door opened.

"Hey honey." My mother announced, coming in without knocking.

Sigh. Knocking is not a word in the dictionary for my family.

"Hi, Mom." I said, sitting up, motioning her to come sit on the bed.

This doesn't happen often, but it's nice when it's just me and my mom, talking like best friends.

"I never come around to ask-" she paused. "-but are you okay?"

The question hit me like a bullet. "U-Uhm, what do you mean?" I stuttered.

Does she know that I hate Jordan?

Oh, dear Lord.

"Well, how's school?"

I sighed in relief. "Good, good. It's, um, it's hard, but I'll survive." I joked.

She chuckled. "Well, okay. I hope you know that under the strict me I'm a big softie."

"Of course, Mom." I said, smiling. "Are you okay?" I asked.

She smiled, her skin crinkling. "I'm alway okay, honey. It's one of the perks of being a mother. I've just been noticing that you and Jordan are spending a lot more time together. Your father doesn't need to give the 'hurt her and I kill you' speech, does he?" She laughed.

I nearly choked on air. "I-It's n-nothing like that, mother." I said, before adding a it's quite the opposite in my mind.

She raised an eyebrow. "Sure, sure. Anyways, get your butt at the dining table, the Waters are joining us for dinner with another family member."

"Shawn?" I asked.

She looked surprised. "Yes, actually, that's what the boy your age's name is. Yes, he, his brother and his parents have come for Isla's wedding."

"When?" I asked.

She looked away guiltily. "Like, now."

Just then the doorbell rang. Mom sent me a look of apology as in you're screwed, get dressed and come downstairs with a smile and ditched me. I sighed as I opened my closet and looked for the first decent dress I could find. I found a full-sleeved blue dress that reached my thighs and wore leggings under it. I'm not one to reveal much skin. I wore some party black shoes and brushed my hair, not putting on any makeup.

No, I don't put on makeup because I'm naturally pretty. I'm not, LOL. I don't put on makeup because I just don't like it, it feels weird on my face and takes a hell lot of time to remove it.

I've got my priorities straight, haven't I. Hint, sarcasm.

I heard a bunch of voice downstairs and walked down the stairs like some 9-year-old child, trying not to stumble because damn, that would be embarrassing.

"Riley!" Grace exclaimed. "Don't you look like a doll!"

I smiled at her. "Hi, Grace." I turned to face the old woman in a fancy red coat next to her, and stuck my hand out. "Hello, miss. I'm Riley."

She smiled at me and took my hand. "Oh, call me Patricia, daahling."

I looked over at Shawn and waved. "Hey, Mendes."

He grinned as he saw me. "M'lady."

I raised an eyebrow. "This isn't like 1439."

"Don't ruin the moment." He whispered, making me smile. "Anyway, this is my older brother, Greg." He said, gesturing to a man next to him.