Chapter 1

''This is it.'' Vito shut the door of the main entrance.

Valentina copied Vito's action by taking her coat off to hang it up on the coat rack. She debated in her head if she should also keep her shoes on but decided against it. Valentina crouched down and untied the laces of her sneakers.

After taking her shoes off, she followed Vito who already waited in the living room. Valentina noted the lack of decoration and looked around to see if there was something that stood out, but there was nothing.

It wasn't as if the sitting room was bare of furniture. It was the fact that nothing in the house gave away any information about the owner. There were no pictures, books or any artwork.

''It's Valentina, right?'' his deep rich voice enchanted Valentina.

''Yes.''

Walking further into the living room she noticed a small island kitchen connected to it on the left side. On her right side was a door that led to her new bedroom. Vito opened the door and put Valentina's luggage in her room. After closing it again he beckoned her to follow him.

Valentina trailed after him even though she wanted the house tour to be over. All she wished for was to close herself off from others and be cooped up in her room.

They walked past the kitchen and entered the master bedroom. Vito turned around to face Valentina and glanced at the door on his right before focusing on her again.

''The bathroom is over there, but don't come into my room if you have nothing to seek here.''

Vito's home was a one-floor house with only three doors in it. Those were the front door, Valentina's room door and the bathroom door. Since Vito never planned on having to share his house with anyone, it wasn't built with privacy as its highest priority.

Valentina nodded in response and asked if she could unpack her stuff. Vito excused her and left the house shortly after she entered her new room.

There was a double-sized bed against the wall with a sand-coloured duvet on top of it. Valentina glanced around her to make sure she was alone. A childish grin appeared on her face as she launched herself on the big bed she had all to herself.

She let out a drawn-out sigh as she stared at the two suitcases. Valentina decided on unpacking it later that day since she was too tired to do it right away.

Her mind wandered off to a place she didn't want it to go. Every time she would think about her late brother, Greg Armani, her heart ached.

Not wanting to think about it any longer than she already had she opened one of her suitcases and grabbed her undergarments, a top and shorts. Valentina went to the bathroom and put her clothes on the countertop.

She stripped herself of her clothes and stepped into the shower. The lukewarm water falling down her body made her muscles relax. Valentina grabbed Vito's shower gel and used it to clean herself.

He won't mind. I hope. Besides I didn't bring any with me, she thought to herself.

When she was done showering and got dressed, she went straight to her room. Valentina got in her comfortable bed and closed her eyes to fall asleep despite it still being noon.

Valentina had seen Vito only two times in her life. The first time was on her parents' funeral and the second time on the one of her brother. It was her brother that made sure she had a place to live in when he couldn't be there for her.

Greg and Vito had been good friends since they were eight-year-olds. When Vito officially became part of the Grimaldi mafia, his friend joined him.

A few years ago, Greg asked Vito for a favour. Vito gave him his word to let his little sister live with him. Nothing more and nothing less.

Sometime during the night, Valentina woke up again. A yawn escaped her mouth as she sat up and threw her legs to the side of the bed. Half-asleep she rubbed her eyes and slouched to her suitcase.

She opened it and unpacked everything she brought with her. On top of her clothes laid a framed picture of her family. She picked it up and carefully placed it on the dresser. The sound of a door opening and closing made her freeze up. Valentina tiptoed to the door and opened it a little. Her breath was stuck in her throat when she saw splatters of blood on Vito's broad back. Even though Valentina already knew Vito was the Don of the Grimaldi mafia, she couldn't help but feel uneasy at the sight.

As if sensing her gaze on him Vito turned his head. She met his piercing green eyes that held no emotion at all.

Vito tossed his car key on the kitchen counter and walked back to the couch in the middle of the living room. He took a cigarette from a pack and used the lighter on the coffee table to ignite it.

Valentina had already retreated herself back into her room and continued unpacking. She wanted to forget the look Vito gave her. His eyes held no hate or warmth, it was impossible for Valentina to read him. She would rather have someone looking at her with hate than no emotion at all. If that was the case, she would at least have an idea of what to expect, but now she didn't.