Chapter 38

Vito had been listening attentively to the news reporter. The disappearance of Philip Coleman made headlines.

'Two days ago, a middle-aged detective who goes by the name Philip Coleman went missing. It was Emma Coleman – the daughter of the man in question­ – who filed the missing person report. Philip Coleman was last seen near the apartment complex he lives in. If you have seen him, please contact the police using the number that is displayed on the crawl.'

Next to the news reporter was a picture of Philip Coleman. The reporter proceeded to interview Philip's daughter and son-in-law.

''He went missing?'' Valentina sent a questioning look in Vito's way.

''From their perspective, yes and it will stay that way. In the slight chance, they do find the body, they won't be able to tell it's Philip's.''

Vito made use of Xander's skills to remove all the evidence from the crime scene. Apart from being a guard, Xander was the 'cleaner' of the Grimaldi family. It was a job for someone who had a strong stomach. After Xander finished his work, there wasn't a single trace of Philip left. He had pulverized Philip's teeth into fine dust, cut off his fingers and burned the detective's body.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

In the course of the following days, Vito and Valentina only got to see glimpses of each other. In Valentina's case, it was because of her work. With Vito, it wasn't. He had been avoiding her on purpose, afraid he would say something he didn't mean.

Philip was dead but his looming shadow hung over Vito's thoughts. Vito closed his eyes and let his head rest against the couch.

During the past five years, detective Coleman showed up in front of Vito on multiple occasions. Always asking the Don the same questions, hoping he would confess to his other crimes. While Vito respected his determination on some level, he lost it the moment Philip brought Valentina into the picture. Philip fed him with lies. Telling Vito how Valentina revealed valuable intel on Vito and his brothers. The detective believed this method would break Vito's spirit.

''There nothing you can hide from me anymore. I already know everything. Valentina told me everything I needed to know. It's futile, Vito. Just tell me the truth'' Vito thought back on the detective's words.

Vito hunched over and pinched the bridge of his nose. He knew not to believe what Philip said to him, but there was doubt in him. Vito was wired to be distrustful of others. Vito always found this part of him to be a useful asset because of the world he lived in. Right now, he cursed this side of him.

She never threw away the card Philip gave her.

Vito groaned at himself. He couldn't help but feed his distrustful nature.

Valentina wouldn't have told him anything about me. I'm sure she just kept it because she wanted to know more about the Lucchesses.

His voice of reason momentarily stopped his conflicting thoughts.

She could have unintentionally let something slip out. Fucking hell. Stop it.

Vito unfastened the top buttons of his shirt and stared back at the reflection of himself on the television screen. He looked away and settled his gaze on the houseplants that Valentina purchased to bring colour into the house. He liked the change. It made the house feel bright and not dull like it used to be.

Footsteps were heard from the foyer. Valentina had returned from her job. Vito picked up his suit jacket, ready to leave the house. He hadn't sorted out his thoughts and decided it was better to avoid her for now.

Vito didn't dare to look at her pained expression, guilt tearing at him from the inside. She deserved better than this.

''Vito,''

He stopped moving and waited for her to voice her thoughts.

''I know you're avoiding me on purpose.''

He didn't know what to say to her. Valentina hit the nail on the head.

''It's obvious something is bothering you. Every time I work during the day, you are away at the night and when I have a night shift, you work during the day. You can't tell me it's all one coincidence after another,'' She released a harsh breath, ''If you have a problem with me then say it. I'm done waiting, Vito.''

Valentina didn't hesitate to confront him. She gave him the time and space he needed, but now she wanted answers. Although Vito was out of prison and back home, his constant absence made it seem like it never happened.

''Some things are better left unsaid.'' He paused and continued, ''I don't want to make it worse by saying something I shouldn't have.''

Valentina could tell his words held a lot of meaning to him, ''You're talking about what happened with your parents, aren't you? This isn't a repeat of what happened with your mother. I'm not going anywhere, Vito. I only want you to tell me what is bothering you. You're closing yourself off.''

Feeling angry at himself, Vito took a deep breath to calm down. It didn't work.

Valentina spoke up again, ''I don't want us to be like this.''

Vito threw the jacket onto the couch with more force than he intended. It made Valentina flinch. He ran his hand through his dark hair, making it look unkempt.

''I don't know what to tell you, Valentina. There is nothing for me to say. You didn't do anything wrong,''

She frowned at the cryptic way he spoke in, ''What are you talking about?''

''Nothing. Stop asking. There is nothing you can do about it even if I told you,'' Vito believed this was his own problem to fix.

''You don't know that!''

Vito seemed to be frozen in one place. Valentina had never raised her voice against him. His bewildered green eyes met her angry grey ones.

Valentina wasn't done speaking, ''You always act like you know everything. How everything will work out, but you don't. For once, let me help you.''