Chapter 15

By the time Philip arrived at the bistro, Vito and Valentina were already on their way home. Valentina had been cracking her head over Philip's words. Nothing he said made sense to her.

He might know something, she thought.

Vito took note of Valentina's glances at him. It wasn't hard for him to figure out what was on her mind, but he wasn't going to tell her anything in the car. He wouldn't reveal her truth about her parents in the company of Luke and Kevin.

"Did you know what he meant?'' Valentina spoke up.

"Yes,''

You just couldn't wait with the questions until we got home, he thought about her.

"I will tell you later,'' He continued.

"But-''

"Valentina,'' His tone was harsher than normal.

Valentina stayed quiet, but the curious feeling didn't leave her. She didn't know he was actually being thoughtful by not telling it right away.

Vito's cell phone went off. The ringing sound stopped when he picked it up. One of his men reported him about their bank accounts.

"Something came up. Go to Damian his place,'' He said to Luke.

Valentina blinked hoping she misheard Vito. During the ride, she imagined all sorts of scenarios. Ones where the place they were going to was crawling of heavily armed men and ones where she would be stared at.

Nearly an hour had passed before they reached their destination. The moment they stepped out of the car, Vito took hold of Valentina. It made her blush instantly. She liked the feeling of her smaller hand being engulfed by his hand.

"Stay close to me,'' He said in a low voice.

Even if he didn't say that to her, she would still try to stay as close as possible to him. After all, Vito was the only person she knew in this unfamiliar place.

As they entered the lobby of the grandiose hotel, Valentina kept herself from being in awe of the well-designed interior, because she didn't want to look out of place. Judging by the grand crystal chandelier in the centre of the lobby and the artworks on the right wall, she knew it was a place only the rich could afford to live in.

Valentina felt the burning stares as they walked towards the elevators. Curious, envious and cold stares. There was one man in particular that ticked Valentina off. He was too curious for his own good and practically undressed her with his eyes. Valentina gave him a dirty and cold look while unconsciously squeezing Vito's hand out of irritation.

A slight frown formed on Vito's face. He looked at Valentina wondering why her grip had tightened. Following her line of sight led him to a man about his age. The way he looked at Valentina didn't sit right with him.

"Ignore him. Don't give him what he wants,'' Vito said to Valentina and pressed on the button so the elevator would come.

"I know, but he is just flat out staring at me,'' She huffed.

Vito turned to Kevin, "Kevin,''

His boss didn't have to explain what he needed to do. The piercing look in the Don's eyes spoke for themselves. Kevin strolled in the man's direction to have a talk with him.

"What is he going to do?''

"Talk,''

He saw Valentina was not convinced by him and assured her it was the truth. Vito and Valentina got into the elevator and waited until they reached the second highest floor. The floor where Damian lived.

I'm still holding his hand. Why am I still holding his hand? We're in an elevator for God's sake, nothing is going to happen! I should let go but I don't want to. I am over-thinking this, Valentina was giving herself a headache.

Valentina felt a soft tug, "We're here.''

"Oh,'' She said as they went to Damian's apartment.

Damian opened the door not much later after Vito knocked. Like he was ordered to, Luke remained outside the apartment while Valentina and Vito went inside.

Damian's eyes went back and forth between Vito and Valentina. He sensed an air of protectiveness around his brother. A protectiveness the naked eye could see when looking at their interlocked fingers.

Valentina could feel her cheeks burn when she saw Damian looking at their hands. She let go of Vito and held her wrist, feeling the need to hold on to something else.

"Just ask if you need something. We'll be in the study,'' Damian said to Valentina and went with Vito to his study to talk about their many bank accounts that had to be managed.

"Why is she here?'' Damian wasn't used to having other people besides his family in his own house.

Vito closed the door of the study and told him she happened to be with him.

On the other side of the apartment, Valentina's eyes skimmed the living room. The room came off as welcoming and homely. There were decorative pillows on the sofa, framed pictures above the fireplace and a vibrant carpet with a flower design on it. It was everything she didn't expect the former Don to have.

Out of curiosity, she got a closer look at the framed picture. There was a woman standing next to Damian and a young boy in front of them with a wide smile. A family photo.

No wonder this place feels like the home of a family, she thought.

Her gaze moved to the next framed photo. A big family consisting out of eight people. Before Valentina got the chance to take a good look at the individual members of the family, she heard Vito call her.

"Come on, we are going,'' He said to her.

"That was fast,'' She mumbled.

Valentina and Vito walked to the main door where Damian stood to open it for them. She only then noticed the golden ring on Damian's ring finger. It was a ring he got from his wife.

After Valentina and Vito left the hotel and went back home, it was time for Valentina to find out what Vito knew about her parents' re-opened case. It was time for her to know what Philip was talking about.