Epilogue

Five years later

The sun shone brightly as Valentina walked on the paved ground. Tombstones surrounding her. One hand holding a bouquet of pink roses and the other one holding her son's small hand. Her son squeezed her hand lightly. With a warm gaze, she met her son's silver eyes. Every time Valentina looked at her son, it felt like seeing a small version of Vito.

He might have inherited the colour of his mother's eyes, but the jet-black hair and his other features were an exact copy of his father. Although his appearance resembled Vito, on the inside he was more like Valentina.

''Is Dad not coming?'' Dario asked his mother.

Valentina's brows drew together ever so slightly. She crouched down before him to tell him Vito wasn't going to come. Just like all the other times he hadn't.

''Why does he never come?'' his voice was small.

Valentina didn't have the heart to tell him the harsh truth. He was too young to understand. Valentina set the flowers down on the ground and cupped Dario's face. Her son no longer looking at the eroded cobblestone they stood on.

''It's not easy for him, Dario,'' she said gently.

Valentina turned her head sideways to see Vito standing by the gates. Throughout the years, Vito never came any closer to his mother's grave. It was only because Valentina asked that he came there at all. Getting rid of the deep-seated guilt he bore for the death of his mother was a long process. In her eyes, visiting the grave was the last step he had to take to be completely freed of the shackles of his past.

Valentina picked the bouquet up. ''Can you hold this so I can get your father? I'll be right back.''

Dario nodded with a smile and got the flowers handed over to him by his mother.

Valentina made her way over to her husband. Even from a fair distance, she could make out the scowl forming on his face. To her surprise, he walked in strides toward her.

Vito met Valentina in middle. ''Are you alright?''

''Yes, but that's not why-''

''Did something happen with Dario then?'' He raised a dark eyebrow and moved his gaze over to his son.

Dario hadn't moved an inch from his spot. He held the flowers with both of his hands, almost hugging them to his body. To distract himself, he began kicking pebblestones as far as he could. His shoes getting dirt on them when he stepped in the grass.

''He is starting to ask questions now. Wondering why you don't come with us.''

Vito gritted his teeth and tightened his jaw. He had vowed to himself to never return to his mother's grave.

Valentina took her chance to convince him when she saw a flicker of hesitance in his eyes. ''You've come so far, Vito.''

She put her hand over his jaw and waited for the hard look in his eyes to soften. Once again, she assured him that his mother's death wasn't his fault. That he had to stop blaming himself.

The hopeful look in Valentina's eyes caused Vito to sigh. Time and time again, she managed to make him want to do things he didn't think he would do. Marrying and having a family of his own were things his old-self didn't see in the future.

Before taking hold of her hand, he kissed her and tugged her to come along. Vito was silent as they went over to their son.

''This is heavy.'' Dario held the bouquet out for either his mother or father to take it.

Vito ruffled his son's hair up and grabbed the pink flowers. ''Let's go.''

Dario wedged himself in between his parents so he could hold onto both of them.

Soon, the Grimaldi family stood in front of the tombstone of Vito's mother. Valentina watched her husband attentively as he stared at the name engraved on the light-grey tombstone.

'Maria Lastra-Grimaldi'

Vito didn't break out in cold sweat as he thought he would. Valentina was right, he had come far. He stepped forward and carefully put the bouquet of pink roses down. In his head, he apologised for not having come to visit earlier and made a new vow. This time he would visit Maria on her death anniversary.

Vito was able to break his old vow, but only because the good outweighed the bad in his life. He turned around to see his family waiting for him. His wife watching him with a proud smile.

''I knew you could do it,'' Valentina said and Vito pecked her soft lips.

''I wouldn't have been able to do it if it wasn't for you.''

''No, you did it yourself, Vito.''

''Can you just accept my gratitude?'' he sighed making Valentina let out a giggle.

The feeling of someone clutching his leg caused Vito to look down. His son was trying to get his attention.

''I want to go on your back.'' Dario had a boyish grin on his face as he bounced a little.

''I'm getting too old for this,'' Vito grumbled under his breath.

Valentina rolled her eyes at him. ''Don't exaggerate. You're thirty-seven, not seventy.''

Vito lowered himself so Dario could get on his back. The moment Dario was secure and wouldn't fall off, Vito began walking again. The family of three leaving the graveyard in search of their car.

Valentina's heart filled with warmth as she looked at her husband and son. The close bond Vito shared with Dario was precious.

''Are we going home now? Mom said Marco and Gina are coming over,'' Dario asked, eager to see his cousins and play with them.

''Yes, we're going home,'' Vito and Valentina said.

The end