Chapter 34

Much to Valentina's dismay, Philip had been persistent in his attempts to get in contact with her. By now, she could recite his number if she wanted. Getting a new phone number wasn't an option in her mind. If she had done that Vito wouldn't be able to contact her anymore and she didn't wish for that to happen.

Valentina scanned the lecture hall one last time. Lilly wasn't to be seen anywhere in the room. She hadn't gotten a glimpse of her ex-friend since their fight. Valentina heard rumours of Lilly having quit the study and was in pursuit of becoming a lawyer.

I shouldn't have expected anything else from her. Being a lawyer would suit Lilly.

She packed up her things and slung her bag onto her shoulder. It was her first and last class she had that day.

''Already done?'' Kevin stood up from the bench outside the lecture hall.

She hummed a 'yes' and the two of them walked straight to the parking lot where Luke waited. Valentina and Kevin stood outside and saw Luke on their right. Kevin went ahead but stopped when he didn't see Valentina beside him.

''What is stopping you, Miss Armani?'' He tilted his head to the side.

Valentina's eyes were fixed on the dark-green car in the distance. This time, she knew the identity of the person hiding in the cabriolet. Damian informed her it was none other than detective Coleman. While Philip trailed Valentina, he himself was being trailed by men from the Grimaldi mafia. Vito gave out orders to keep a close eye on the man.

''Philip is over there.''

Kevin followed Valentina's line of eyesight, ''He doesn't know when to stop, does he? That man is a fucking pest.''

Valentina began to look away but stopped when the door of Philip's car got abruptly opened. She didn't think he would show himself to her. She thought he would play it safe and observe them from afar. In moments like this, Valentina wondered what went around in the man's head.

As far as Philip was concerned, Valentina was oblivious to him following her. Trailing Valentina didn't lead him anywhere. He got nothing out of it. The detective was going to try a direct approach. Since Valentina refused to come and meet him in person, he would take matters into his own hands. 

Valentina braced herself for what was to come as Philip walked in long strides toward her. In the meantime, Luke had come to her aid as well. Kevin used himself as a psychical barrier between the detective and Valentina.

Philip eyed Luke and Kevin and recognized them from the bistro and all the other times he saw them guarding Valentina, ''We've never really met but I've seen you before. Anyhow, I have business with the lady over there. So, if you don't mind,'' he said, trying to walk past Kevin and Luke.

Kevin put his hand on Philip's chest and stopped his movement. ''We do mind.''

''It's better for you to leave now. We aren't looking for any trouble.'' Gone was the friendly expression Luke generally wore on his face.

Philip cleared his throat. ''Of course, I'm the same. I understand what you're saying, but I just want to-''

''You need to leave,'' Kevin said to Philip.

''I'm assuming you two are her bodyguards. So tell me, which agency do you work for?'' Philip came to the conclusion that the men standing before him worked for Vito. If the two men weren't going to go easy on him, Philip would happily return the favour.

Valentina frowned at the middle-aged man, ''Kevin, Luke, you can go. I'll be fine.''

It's not like Philip will try to hurt me. The law, or should I say his conscience, will stop him from doing that. I can stand my own against him.

Sending them away was the only way for her to protect their real identity. The two men exchanged looks with each other before leaving Valentina and Philip by themselves.

''What makes you think you can come here and act like you haven't done anything? You've been stalking me, Mr. Coleman. Don't even try to deny it. I'm fed up with seeing that car of yours every day.'' Valentina did her best to keep her voice steady.

"I see what you're trying to say-'''

''Not only that, but the endless amount times you've tried calling me is unacceptable. I've already told you that I'm not interested,'' she said firmly.

''I am sorry about that.'' He didn't meet Valentina's eyes as he apologized. ''But let's not dwell on that. There are more important things at hand. For you that is. Not interested in your own birth parents? Now, now, that can't be true.''

You're right. It's not true.

''Goodbye, Mr. Coleman.''

''Wait! I have a message from Vito to you.'' His lie grabbed Valentina's attention.

Valentina faced the detective again. She knew better than to believe his words, but curiosity got the better of her. The girl wanted to know what he had to say.

''A message? What do you mean?''

''Um, well, he said- he wanted you to know that-'' Philip scratched the back of his head and put his hands in the air. ''I'll stop. I have no message or anything like that, but there is something I need to tell you about him.''

Valentina shook her head at him, ''And that is?''

''For now, he is locked up for money laundering, but there are so many other things he should be locked up for. I know that you can help me. There is so much injustice in this world, Valentina. You can help me do the right thing. You can make it right. You can trust me and tell me what you need to tell me.''

Valentina thought back on the time Vito told her to be mindful when she came in contact with detective Coleman. She wouldn't reveal anything about Vito. No matter how much he would press her to do so.

''Tell you about what?'' She took a step back.

''His other crimes! All of the other times Vito broke the law!''

''There isn't anything for me to tell you, Mr. Coleman.'' Valentina turned her back on him and made her way to Kevin and Luke.

He reminds me of Lilly. Obsessed with justice. I'll do what I want. What I think is right. Loving Vito feels right.

Valentina wouldn't betray Vito's trust in her.