Chapter 25

The quiet air inside Vito's home was something he usually enjoyed. He checked the time on his watch, wondering where Valentina could be. It wasn't unusual for her to be away during the day, but in the evening she was always at home. Vito felt like the house was void without her presence.

He called Valentina's phone number and didn't have to wait long before she answered, ''Vito?''

His shoulders became less tense. Her voice didn't indicate she was in any kind of danger, ''Where are you?''

''I'm with Camila. We were eating out, but then it got late, so we went to her and Enzo's apartment.''

''Is Enzo there?''

''Yes,''

''Give the phone to him. I need to speak with him for a second.'' Vito said as he listened to her moving.

''What is it, Vito?'' Enzo said and walked away from Valentina and Camila.

''I assume you kept Valentina safe.''

''Luke and Kevin did plenty a good job before I joined the women at the restaurant. You seem concerned about her.'' Enzo leaned against a wall and mumbled, ''Damian also mentioned something like that about you two.''

Vito sighed, ''Are you done? Give the phone back to her.''

''No denial?'' His brother smirked, ''Don't worry, she is safe.''

Enzo lowered the phone from his ear and went back to Camila and Valentina who were now in the foyer. He handed the phone back to Valentina before resting his hand on Camila's waist.

''What time are you coming back?'' Vito asked Valentina.

''I'm on my way now.'' She said and they ended the call.

After saying her goodbyes one more time to Camila and Enzo, she left with her bodyguards. Valentina hadn't even realized it was already evening. Time flew by with someone like Camila. She was easy to talk to.

Vito sat down on an armchair and kept his eyes on the direction of the main entrance. Waiting for Valentina to come back to him felt like a long time. Eventually, he took a damaged picture from the inside pocket of his jacket and shrugged the clothing of his body. A picture Valentina was supposed to have.

''I'm home!''

A sweet voice announced, making Vito look up again. He put the picture with its back facing upward down on the table. Valentina greeted him with a shy smile as she came closer to him. Without warning, Vito got up to close the distance between them and crashed his lips on her. His hands cupped her face as Valentina held onto his forearms. He needed to see her. Feel her warmth and taste her sweetness.

An involuntary moan escaped Valentina's lips. Before she let herself completely get drowned by the kiss, she pulled away. Puzzled by the man in front of her. His touch felt more needy than usual.

''Is everything alright?'' She looked him in the eyes and moved her hands to his.

Vito's quiet laugh sounded borderline nervous, ''You really do know me better than I thought. What gave it away?''

''Your touch,'' Valentina said while moving her thumbs over his knuckles, ''But you're avoiding my question.''

He let go of her and shook his head. When he was met with a stern look, he reached over to her once more. Vito tucked a piece of soft brown hair behind her ear, ''I'll tell you another time.''

Her expression softened and responded with a slow nod. Vito moved his hand away and left towards his bedroom. Valentina trailed after him needing to go to the bathroom.

When she finished showering and put her sleeping clothes on. She stepped out of the bathroom and wished goodnight to Vito. While Valentina planned on going back to her own room, Vito had something different on his mind.

''Valentina,'' He said and beckoned for her to come over to his side.

She moved over to him, seated herself on the edge of the bed and tried to focus on his face. Aside from his grey sweatpants, Vito wasn't covering anything else up. Both their hands laid on the smooth surface of the covers, barely touching each other.

''From now on I want you to sleep here,''

His words surprised Valentina. She was sure it was written all over her face. Her heart was beating frantically and she couldn't stop her blushing no matter how much she wanted to.

''Unless you don't want to, of course.'' He added and leaned back against the dark headboard.

Quickly, she shook her head, ''No.''

''You don't,'' He repeated, making his jaw tighten.

Feeling confused, Valentina slightly furrowed her eyebrows. It didn't take long before she realized what she said. A quiet giggle filled the silence surrounding them, ''No, I do. I want to.''

Valentina pressed a featherlike kiss on his stubbled jaw before joining him under the covers. Instead of sitting next to him, Vito moved her to sit in between his legs. While caught by surprise, she let herself rest against his bare chest. The heat coming off his body seeped into her own. It was a comforting warmth. Strong arms wrapped themselves around her waist.

Their position made Valentina feel secure. To Vito, it was a reality check that he wasn't alone.

''I changed my mind.'' He released a harsh breath.

''About?''

''Telling you now.''

Valentina kept quiet. She didn't want to rush him. It was already more than enough for her that Vito was willing to open up to her.

''Today is my brother's death anniversary.''

The revelation made Valentina hold her breath. She placed her hands on top of his, hoping to give him some comfort.

''His name is Romeo. He was ten years old. My youngest brother.'' Vito made a clenched his fist, ''He is dead because of Toni. After I found out he was responsible for Romeo's death, I made sure to end his life.''

''Who is Toni?'' Her voice quiet and accompanied with a slight tremble. Valentina turned her head to the side to try and read Vito's expression.

''My father,'' Vito unclenched his fist. ''I don't regret it, Valentina. He deserved it.''

Valentina believed him and took in his cold look, ''How old were you?''

''Eighteen. A week after that, I-'' Vito could feel himself breaking out in cold sweat.

Valentina felt his body become more rigid and fully turned around, positioning herself in his lap. She held her palm over his heart, ''You don't have to say if you don't want to.''

Vito's cold gaze turned into an empty one. Once again, he looked detached. ''One week later, my mother died. She is dead because of me. I told her it was me who killed Toni. I was naif, Valentina. Back then I thought the worst outcome was her breaking off contact with me. The morning after I told her, she killed herself.'' To distract himself, Vito's hand trailed from Valentina's throat to her collarbone. ''I was the first to find her in the bathtub.''

Valentina's sight became blurry. She understood the reason for the disconnected look in his green eyes, he didn't want to relive the past. Hearing about his mother explained certain things Vito told her. It finally made sense to her why he didn't want her away in the bathroom for lengthy periods of time.

''Please, don't blame yourself. You couldn't have known,''

''But I should have known better.'' He kissed her under her eye, catching a stray tear with his lips.