Chapter 44

After Vito and Enzo left, Camila and Valentina moved to the seating room. Enzo who came up with the idea to leave his wife in good company. That way, she wouldn't be exhausted at the end of the day having to cater all of her attention to their son. With Valentina also present, she could watch Marco while Camila rested for a bit.

Valentina's lips tugged upwards at the sight of Marco trying to wiggle out of his mother's grasp.

''Ever since he learned to stand on his own, it's all he wants to do,'' Camila let his feet touch the carpet floor so he could stand with her help.

''Can he walk on his own?''

''He tried,'' Camila laughed, ''That's all I can say. He gets an A for effort. Even when he tries to stand, he still has to hold onto something else so he won't lose balance and fall.''

Valentina giggled and squished Marco's chubby cheeks. It was impossible for her not to.

Out of the blue, Camila gasped. Excitement and wonder radiating off her.

''Did Vito already...'' she quickly sealed her lips and eyed Valentina's fingers.

It was completely bare. No ring to be seen on it. Camila expected Vito to have proposed to her in the past two weeks, but it seemed she got ahead of herself.

Valentina looked expectantly at Camila, waiting for her to finish her sentence. Camila, however, wasn't going to say more than she already had.

''Did Vito already do what?'' Valentina said.

Camila shook her head and smiled, ''He'll tell you himself. Anyway-'' she saw her son putting a stuffed toy in his mouth from the corner of her eyes, ''No! Marco, don't put that in your mouth. It has been lying on the ground, it's not clean,'' Camila got the rabbit plush toy away from his mouth.

''Why don't you get some rest? I can watch him in the meantime.''

''You would? Thank you so much! Enzo and I have been taking turns watching over him, but he is such an active kid. It's like his energy is boundless!''

Camila went get some sleep in her bedroom, leaving Valentina with Marco. Valentina held his attention with a puppet show using the stuffed toys on the carpet. She got a few grins and giggles out of the young boy. Valentina hoped to capture his attention for a little longer, but Marco was already crawling toward another toy that laid on the carpet.

Valentina sat back and watched him quietly. She found herself thinking about the resemblance Marco shared with his father. The same brown hair and light-brown coloured eyes.

By the time, Vito and Enzo arrived, Camila had already woken up from her nap and chatted with Valentina.

''Where is the little rascal?'' Enzo scanned the room.

''He is here, but he is dozing off,'' Valentina giggled seeing Marco do his best to stay awake.

Enzo lowered himself and picked his son up, ''It's bedtime for you.''

Soon, the little Grimaldi got sucked into a deep sleep and Enzo joined the rest for dinner. After everyone was done and the dinner table was cleaned up, Valentina and Vito said their goodbyes to Enzo and Camila.

Vito had his hand on Valentina's lower back while they waited for the elevator to reach the ground floor. Without realising it herself, Valentina leaned against him. Seeking his closeness.

''Camila said something interesting.''

''Did she?'' he raised an eyebrow.

''She asked me if you already did something.''

He frowned, ''If I did something? What was she talking about?''

''I don't know. That's why I'm asking you. She said you would tell me.''

It finally clicked in his mind. Vito guessed his brother had told Camila about his plans.

''I will,'' he paused, ''Eventually,'' Vito said no more, leaving Valentina guessing.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

With his head on Valentina's lap, Vito laid on the sofa. Valentina brushed her hand over the light stubble on Vito's jaw. The short hairs prickling her hands, loving the rough feeling it gave off. She moved her hand to the top of his head and raked her fingers through his black hair. It was still damp from the shower he took. As soon as Vito closed his eyelids, she assumed he was going to take rest. Valentina watched his chest heave up and down.

He would often rest on her when there was something on his mind. Her presence never failed to calm him down.

Valentina was going to ask him if something had been bothering him. Whether something had happened at work or if it was a family matter. Usually, in these type of moments, Valentina was the one to break the silence first.

Green eyes stared back at her, ''Valentina, I need to ask you something.''

Caught off guard, her lashes began to flutter. The comforting gaze was gone and had been replaced with an intense one all of a sudden. Valentina couldn't handle it and shielded them away with her hand.

''Sure, but don't look at me like that. It's making me nervous,'' rosy cheeks began to form on her.

Vito grabbed her by the wrist and moved her hand away from his face. He needed to see her the moment he would ask her to marry him. Doing it now felt right. Alone in their own bubble.

''It's nothing serious,'' he said to make the trouble her eyes reflected disappear, ''No, forget what I said. It is serious, but it's nothing bad.''

Valentina's expression was doubtful, ''Serious, but nothing bad?''

Vito sat up and styled his hair back with his fingers. A few wet strands hanging in front of his forehead.

''There is no way to do this right, is there?'' he said more to himself than Valentina.

Valentina was no longer leaning against the sofa, curious what Vito was talking about. The trouble and doubt replaced with intrigue. The words coming out of his mouth were confusing her.

''Do what right?''

Vito stood up, his back facing Valentina and got the small ring box out of his pocket. Staring at it for a few seconds before opening it. An engagement ring for Valentina. Silver band and an emerald stone. The colours representing both of them. Vito took it out and set the box to the side. He turned around again and went to stand before the woman he would ask to be his wife.