Chapter 24

A tiny frown made its way on Valentina's face as she slowly opened her eyes. She moved the back of her hand in front of her mouth as she yawned and continued to stretch her body. After resting her head back on the soft pillow, her gaze moved to the sleeping man beside her. Their intimacy of the night before came rushing back to her mind. The mere sight of him next to her caused a rosy tint on her cheeks. Valentina turned her head in the opposite direction and took a quiet but deep breath in and out. She slipped out of his comfortable bed and went over to the bathroom to freshen herself up.

When she got out of the bathroom and headed to the kitchen, Valentina heard a muffled ringtone. Her head snapped towards the door of her room. Valentina hurried to the source of the sound to pick her phone up. The name appearing on the screen surprised Valentina but answered nonetheless.

"Good morning, Camila. How are you doing?"

"Fine, fine and good morning to you too, honey! I was thinking and how about we go out somewhere. Get something to eat and catch up with each other?''

Even though Camila's suggestion to seek each other's company was nice. She couldn't help but feel uncertain to go together to a public place. Valentina burned it in her mind that the foes of the crime family affiliated her with the Grimaldis. Enemies, who abided by the law and those who didn't, lurked in every nook and cranny of the city.

''I'd love to but I'm not sure if it's safe for us to-'' Valentina stopped mid-sentence as she thought back on Enzo and Camila's ill-fated encounter with Jack Brown.

Camila spoke up since she assumed Valentina wouldn't finish, ''Don't fret, pumpkin. The restaurant is Grimaldi property.'' Her calming tone made Valentina stop pursing her lips, ''And you also have your own guards accompanying you, right?''

''You're right I'm worrying too much. Can you text me the address?'' She said with a small smile.

''Of course! I'll see you in a bit then!''

Valentina put her phone on the desk and went over to her closet. After fifteen minutes of going back and forth between two dresses, she settled on the one with a blue flower pattern. The girl double-checked if she had all her necessities in her handbag before leaving the house with Luke and Kevin.

It wasn't long before Valentina left that Vito woke up. He noted the absence of Valentina's presence and made a mental note to let his plan for her rest a little longer. Instead of another day of work, Vito had a change of mind as he held the photo meant for Valentina in his hand. Vito put it in his pocket and left the house wearing all black.

Before going to visit his beloved family, he stopped by a small flower shop. A place he never liked going to. Vito entered the place where all kinds of fragrances filled the air. The man in black looked out of place in a lively and colourful place like the boutique.

''Two bouquets, please.'' Vito gestured at the pink roses behind the old cashier.

He hands the money over to the old woman with a pixie haircut and takes the flowers in return.

''Have a nice day!'' The kind woman said in a friendly tone in an attempt to clear away the gloomy expression on Vito's face.

Her effort went in vain since Vito didn't hear her. His mind was somewhere else. Vito left the shop, got in his car and drove until he got to his final destination.

It was fairly late. The sky had already been painted in shades of orange and red. Yet, Vito was in the exact same position as he was in hours ago. He sat in front of the tombstone of his youngest brother with a bouquet of pink roses in his hand. Revisiting the past was something Vito rarely did and one of the few moments he didn't have his guard up.

Just as he was about to place the flowers on Romeo's grave, his body tensed up. Vito let go of

the bouquet and straightened his body. He closed his eyes for a second before meeting with the brown ones of his little brother.

''Graziano,'' Vito mumbled to himself.

His one and only living younger brother. The one who broke off contact with his brothers and not for a second did Vito blame him for doing so. Compared to the other Grimaldis, Graziano always had a softer heart. Their world wasn't meant for him.

Graziano's steps toward Vito were a little hesitant, and it didn't go unnoticed by his older brother.

Does he think I'll harm him? That he should be careful around me? Questions popped up in Vito and the thought of them hurt him.

''It's been a while.'' Vito's words were an understatement. The last time he saw him, Graziano was eighteen.

Graziano only nodded with a sad smile as his eyes flicked from Vito's face to the tombstone in front of them. Vito stayed quiet as he listened in on the prayer coming of out Graziano's mouth.

''Always say a prayer when visiting mom, Stefano and Romeo. Not religious anymore though,'' He chuckled lightly.

The mention of their mother made Vito clear his throat, ''So how have you been holding up?''

''Good. I'm good. Became a doctor.''

The corners of Vito's lips tipped up at his brother's achievement. Vito already knew of it since he kept tabs on his younger brother. In the past, he never pegged Graziano for that kind of work, he assumed that his little brother changed more than he initially thought.

''Chris is locked up, Vito.'' The strain in Graziano's voice was crystal clear. "Is it true? What they say in the news.''

Vito answered with a tense nod, ''But he is still the same Chris we know. Don't believe everything people whisper about us.''

''You know, I changed my name. I took mom's last name. Distance myself from the Grimaldi name,'' He said shaking his head, ''Should have known that sooner or later cops would come asking things. Even if I knew anything at all, their attempts are futile.''

''Do you know the name of the cop, Graziano?''

''Philip.''

''Of course, it's him.'' He mumbled.

Graziano formed his hands into tight fists and once again looked at Vito's familiar green eyes, ''Are you guys going to be alright?''

For once Vito wasn't sure what to say. He didn't want him to worry about them.

''You don't seem to have a lot of fate in us,''

Graziano's scoff made Vito the corner of his lips turn up. For just a second, his little brother looked more like his past self. Vito clapped him on the back and reassured him that his older brothers would always get up after falling.