Chapter 39

Valentina was patient but even she had her limits. Stepping back and turning on her heels, she walked away from their dispute to take a shower. A moment to cool down and recollect herself would do her good. That and she felt dirty from work.

''Don't go anywhere. I'm going to take a shower and then I'll be back.'' She said to him.

It wasn't hard to figure out that Vito wasn't jumping on the chance to tell her everything. He, however, would have to make up his mind in a few minutes. This needed to come to an end and Valentina was determined to make that happen.

Not much later, Valentina returned to the living room. He was standing in the exact same place. She regarded Vito as he clenched and unclenched his fists. The muscles of his arms flexing in the process. The look in his eyes had turned back into a composed one.

''Remember how Philip tried seeking you out?'' He began explaining.

Valentina wasn't sure what Philip had to do with their current situation but nodded anyway, ''Yes, I do.''

''Eventually, Philip came to me in prison. He tried to get me to confess. Of course, I didn't tell him anything,'' Vito was hesitant to say the next part, ''He said he had intel on me and the family. Philip said it was you who gave him that information.''

She blinked her eyes in surprise. He had never told her about Philip's visits to him when he phoned her. Valentina guessed it wasn't a topic he wanted to discuss back then. She felt a strong urge to immediately call out Philip's lie. Tell him that the detective was using manipulation to achieve his goal.

Vito continued but wasn't looking in her direction anymore, ''I know Philip wasn't telling the truth. I know you wouldn't betray me.''

Vito's recent behaviour, his reluctance to see her became clear to her.

''If you really believed that, you wouldn't be acting this way,'' Valentina closed the distance between them and used her hand to cup his face, ''There is doubt.''

Valentina felt disappointment filling her but pushed the feeling to the side. She knew trust didn't come easy to him. Building it took a long time, but breaking it could happen in a matter of seconds.

''I can't help it.''

Valentina smiled gently, ''You never asked me if I told him anything.''

The words got stuck in Vito's throat. As if his body forbade him from asking Valentina for the truth. Subconsciously, he didn't want to know it. Afraid of the small chance that she did act as an informant to Philip.

Valentina brushed over his unshaven jaw and waited expectantly for Vito to ask her. When he didn't, she let her hand fall and said, ''I think you're too much alone with your own thoughts.''

He sighed and smiled weakly, ''Tell me about it.''

She rested her head against his broad chest. The tempo of his heartbeat was steady but faster than normal.

''Did you tell him?'' Vito finally came out and said it.

''I didn't tell him anything, Vito. I would never. I didn't betray you,'' She searched his eyes and saw them light up.

Weights had been lifted off Vito's shoulders. Having Valentina simply voice her loyalty to him did much more than he could have imagined. Her words weighed heavier than Philip's.

''I would never,'' She repeated, her voice shaky and tears spilling out.

Vito kissed her tears away and placed a final one on her forehead, ''I'm sorry, Valentina. I shouldn't have doubted you.''

You shouldn't have, Valentina kept her thoughts to herself. She didn't want to rub salt into his wound. The tone of his voice conveyed how ashamed he was of his doubt in her.

''At times, you can be so...''

Valentina didn't have to finish her sentence for Vito to know what she meant. He knew he was a lot to deal with, but was glad she stood by his side. Something he wouldn't question ever again. He had learned his lesson.

Vito lifted her in his arms, making her gasp in the process. He moved them over the sofa. After being away from each other for so long, he wanted to hold her close to him. This time, rid of any unsettling ideas conjuring up in his mind.

''I'm sorry.''

She didn't expect him to apologize for the second time. Valentina sighed in content and closed eyes while Vito drew circles on her lower stomach. He pecked her on her temple and hugged her from behind. Valentina wasn't going to lie to herself, she enjoyed every bit of affection he gave her. She couldn't help but smile.

''Why are you smiling?''

''I'm happy.''

His eyebrows drew together, ''Aren't you mad at me?''

''No.''

Soon, Valentina was sound asleep. Tired from the long hours of working and the arguing with Vito. Serenity was a nice change of pace.

Vito watched over her and took in the peaceful look on her face. He readjusted the position they were in a little and placed his chin on top of her head. Staying awake and thinking about the different ways Valentina had a positive influence on him.

Two hours passed and Vito carefully shook Valentina awake. She gave him a puzzled look as to why he woke her up.

''You're not going to be able to sleep at night if I let you.''

''You don't know that.'' She retorted.

Valentina giggled when he raised an eyebrow at her, ''No, you're right. But I don't want to move.''

''I never said you had to,'' Vito pecked her soft lips.

Valentina smiled against his lips, her silver eyes twinkling. A stunning sight that captured Vito.