Chapter 29

One week ago

''Who called you? You don't know anyone,'' Miguel laughed as he watched Philip put his phone down.

''I don't know it was anonymous. It was about a man who most likely has blood money on his hands. I'll let you handle the arrest,'' Philip scribbled the address down on a piece of paper, ''Here, take it.''

''This better not be another dead end.'' Miguel's tone was grumpy.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Philip Coleman sat at his desk with a look of disbelief on his face. He just finished interrogating Finn Belote. The father of Lilly and also an associate of the Grimaldi crime family. After a long time of working on the Grimaldi mafia case, the last thing Philip expected was suddenly winning a lottery ticket. A ticket that would lead to Vito's arrest. A flicker of hope sparked inside him. Justice would prevail.

''Miguel, we did it! We got legal evidence against the Grimaldi mafia.''

Miguel smiled at the sight of Philip trying to contain his excitement. ''Really? And what did you get?''

''Mr. Belote didn't work directly with Vito Grimaldi, so he couldn't give us much information on him. But he did meet Vito once a few years ago when he had a lower rank in their organization. The description he gave me of his appearance fits the one I now have of Vito.''

''That's all? Philip, you can't be serious. That's nothing.''

''Firstly, I'd disagree. Secondly, you didn't let me finish. We can arrest them for money laundering.'''

''And?'' He prompted for more.

''That's it, but now we can at least arrest the leader of the Grimaldis. I'm sure I can make him confess to more.''

''You sound pretty confident.''

''Ah, that's because I am.'' Philip waggled his eyebrow.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Present

Vito was seated in a small and dull room. It was completely bare except for a table in the corner and two chairs. The walls surrounding him cream coloured and the floor was grey. Vito's mood was getting worse by the minute. He looked up and took note of the camera watching his every move and was certain the whole interrogation would be audio recorded as well. Vito knew to be careful with his words. His gaze shifted to the door as it opened, revealing a man with salt and pepper hair.

''How are you? I'm Miguel Costa and will be conducting this interrogation until a colleague of mine arrives. I got you a cup of coffee. I hope you're alright with that,'' his voice was friendly and shook Vito's hand.

''It's fine,'' Vito said eyed the man with caution.

Miguel put his own cup of coffee on the other side of the table and sat down on the swivel chair. He wore a crumpled-up navy blue shirt that was loosely tucked into his pants. It made him look approachable.  

''Don't be shy you can talk to me. I'm only here to help and if I'm not wrong, we're more connected to each other than you think, Vito.''

A faint smile appeared on Vito's face, but on the inside, he could feel his anger building up. He knew exactly which card Miguel was going to play on him. For now, Vito decided to stay ignorant and played along with him.

''And how so?''

''I'm Stefano's uncle, may his soul rest in peace. Since you're my nephew's half-brother, I feel the need to help you. Make things easier on you. Show you a better path in life. I know you have it in you, Vito. You weren't always bad, I believe you still have good in you.'' Miguel displayed a concerned look.

The old man knew that Vito Grimaldi and Stefano Costa Grimaldi were related by blood through their father, Toni Grimaldi. Miguel tried to forge a connection between him and Vito. He did it in the hope Vito would be more likely to open up to him and confess. Unfortunately for him, his plan backfired.

Speaking about Vito's late half-brother was the wrong move to make. Stefano used to be part of the Grimaldi mafia, but it wasn't the dangerous lifestyle that killed him. He died young due to lung cancer. It was Stefano who Vito got his smoking habits from. Nonetheless, Stefano stood by Vito's side after going through a dark period of his life.

''How odd, I was certain your family burned bridges with Stefano's mother. I was under the impression you wanted nothing to do with Stefano and his mother, yet you still dare call yourself his uncle? You don't even know-'' Vito got cut off.

Miguel adam's apple bobbed up and down before speaking again, ''Now, now, let's not get too worked up. I apologize if I offended you. I don't mean any harm. Remember, I'm only here to help.''

A string of curse words directed at Miguel went through Vito's head. Miguel was everything Vito could hate about someone. Constantly lying through his teeth, sticking his nose in someone else's business and opening his mouth without thinking.

''I might have broken off contact with my sister when we were young, but that didn't mean I didn't care for my nephew. Especially after she went missing and leaving Stefano with no family. God only knows where my sister is now.''

Vito took in a deep breath to keep himself from being impulsive and hitting Miguel. The man didn't know when to stop talking when he was nervous but he did seem to have a gift in unintentionally pushing Vito's buttons. It took a lot for Vito to get to this point, but having outsiders carelessly talk about the people he cared for wasn't something he was keen on.

''Your worry was for nought. Stefano did have a family.'' Vito referred to himself and his brothers.

Vito had knowledge of Miguel's missing sister but had no intention of sharing the information. Stefano's mother was long dead. It was the oldest Grimaldi brother, Damian, who killed her cold blood. As far as Vito was concerned, it was an incident of the past that was never going to see daylight.

''Anyhow, before we start, do you have any questions for me?'' Miguel straightened his position.

''I don't.''

''Good. Well, then, do you know why you have been brought here?''

''I wouldn't mind it if you freshened up my memory.'' Vito had a tight-lipped smile.

The same time, Miguel opened his mouth to answer Vito, someone knocked against the door of the interrogation room. Miguel raised his voice to tell the person standing outside to come in. An old acquaintance of Vito made an appearance.