Chapter 45

Valentina's gaze flitted between Vito and the small box on the wooden table. She didn't dare think what she was hoping for. Her heart pounding loudly against her ribcage. Uncertainty and hope swirling in her silver eyes. Nerves creeping up like they never had before. She momentarily stilled seeing Vito go on his knee.

Now, they were on eye level with each other. The ring not yet visible to Valentina as it was in Vito's closed fist.

''I never thought I would want to settle down with someone,'' a faint smile made its way on his lips, ''You were right in saying that I don't know everything. I need you to tell me when I'm wrong. I want you to stay by my side, Valentina.''

She had already done both of those things, but Vito wanted the same for the future.

With the piece of jewellery in between his index finger and thumb, he showed her the silver band, ''Will you do me the honour of marrying you, Valentina.''

Vito couldn't remember the last time he was this impatient to hear an answer. The blood in his veins racing as he watched her reaction. His Adam's apple bobbed up and down.

By now, a lot of things were racing through Valentina's mind. Her vision becoming blurry, her body trembling from joy and a shaky smile on her face. She felt like pinching herself to make sure she wasn't imagining this. Her slow nod turned into a fast one and a delicate laugh came out of her.

''Is that a yes?''

''Yes,'' she breathed out and hugged him with all she got.

Valentina nuzzled her face in the crook of his neck whilst trying to contain her smile even though she knew it was impossible. The prospect of marrying Vito crossed her mind, but she didn't think he wanted something like that. It looked like she had a lot of time to discover new things about him.

''Valentina,'' he called her to get her attention again.

''Yes?''

''The ring.''

Valentina leaned back, smiling sheepishly, ''Oh, yes. Sorry, I just got excited.''

Vito held her left hand and slipped the band on her ring finger. A pleased smile on him as he looked at it.

Valentina leaned in, their lips barely touching each other. Tingles spreading at the slightest touch. She closed the gap, placing a tender kiss on his lips. He returned it, using the same gentleness as her. The kiss between the newly engaged broke off when Valentina grinned again.

''What it is?''

She tilted her head to meet his gaze, ''I can't stop smiling.''

''I'll take that as a good sign,'' he murmured against her ear.

Vito hoisted her up and brought Valentina to their bedroom. With her hair fanned out behind her, she laid on the silk covers. Glimpses of longing were seen in the way she looked at him. He hovered himself over her and slowly caressed her body with his lips.

Valentina moaned whenever he hit a sweet spot. The sound made Vito want to speed things up, but he wasn't going to. They would take their time in making love. There was no haste. They had all the time in the world.

Afterwards, Valentina rested her head against his chest. Listening to his heartbeat calming down.

''You bring out the good in me,'' the volume of his voice was barely audible, but Valentina didn't miss.

Before Valentina had come in his life, Vito was distant to everyone around him. His own family included. It was Valentina who forced him to break the walls he had built around himself.

His confession made her heart swell up with love. She looked up and kissed his cheek.

Vito added, ''Thank you for staying with me all this time. I was away for so long and you never left,'' he sighed deeply, ''And when I did come back, I didn't treat you the way you deserved to be treated. Despite that, you do realise I'm not ever going to let you go, right? I'm not noble enough to do that. I need you, Valentina.''

Valentina blinked to stop herself from crying, ''It's not just you. I need you too.''

It wasn't one supporting the other. It was both of them doing it. They complimented each other more than either of them could have predicted.

''I love you,'' he said gently.

Tears spilled down her cheeks. Vito wiped them from her face, but more were coming out. For the life of her, Valentina didn't think it would be Vito confessing his love to her first. After all this time, she also told him her true feelings about him.

Valentia jerked upward remembering an important little detail. The guilt he caught in her expression made him wary. Tension filling him from the inside.

''I'm not allowed to wear any kind jewellery for work,'' Valentina said and explained, ''For hygiene reasons.''

Vito brought her hand to his lips and kissed it, ''That's fine. You can still wear it on the days you don't work.''

Hearing him made her wonder what made her worry in the first place. Vito had always been reasonable. Valentina would wear the silver band whenever she could. It was a piece of Vito on her. The man she cherished with all her heart.

''Can we stay like this?'' she asked.

''For as long as you want.''

Vito put a soft kiss on her temple and tucked a piece of her silky brown hair behind her ear to get a better look at the woman he held dear to his heart.

For the rest of the day, Valentina and Vito stayed in each other's arms. A feeling of content and delight washing over her as he soothed sweet words in her ears.