Chapter 2

It had already been a whole week since Valentina moved in with Vito, but she hadn't seen him since the first night. She constantly stayed in her room, processing the loss of a loved one. In addition to that, she would deliberately not get out of her room whenever Vito was at home.

Vito had an air of dominance around him which made him less approachable to others. The role of Don shaped him to become a figure people feared.

Valentina tugged on the cable of her earbuds to get them out of her ears. She rolled it up neatly, laid it on her dresser and put her phone next to it. It was silent in the house even though Valentina could swear she heard someone shouting a second ago.

For the second time, Vito's voice boomed throughout the house. Valentina flinched at the sudden loud and harsh tone he spoke in.

She padded to the door while wearing a pair of white socks, hoping she made less noise that way. Valentina tried to make out what he was saying but failed miserably. A soft sigh escaped her out of disappointment as she made her way back to her bed.

Valentina was curious to find out what made a man like him angry. Up until that point, she thought he was incapable of getting furious at someone or something. Vito seemed much more detached and calm in her eyes.

The thought made her all the more aware of the fact she still had no clue whom she lived with. Valentina mentally slapped her head at her realisation. It wasn't strange she knew next to nothing about Vito since she did the exact opposite of trying to get to know him.

In the evening, Valentina was feeling tired despite not doing any kind of intensive work. All she did was watch a new telenovela in her room. She got off her bed and decided to take a quick shower, in the hope it would make her feel better.

Valentina cursed under her breath when she saw Vito drinking an espresso. She walked in long strides hoping he wouldn't do or say anything.

''Valentina.'' he looked her up and down.

Vito was someone who observed the people around him. He didn't miss to notice Valentina had lost a little weight in the short week she had been there.

She stopped in her tracks and looked reluctantly at Vito, ''Yes?''

''You haven't been eating.''

She found the way he stated it sound like a crime. Valentina parted her lips to retort but couldn't think of anything to say. He was spot on after all.

''Go wait over there,'' he said and gestured toward the modernly designed couch.

She listened obediently to him. If she didn't it would lead to nothing good. Valentina watched from the corner of her eyes as Vito rolled the sleeves of his dress shirt up and placed a saucepan on the stove.

He can cook? Valentina thought to herself.

During the time Vito was cooking dinner, Valentina sneaked a few glances at him. To a certain extent, it fascinated her that the Don knew these kinds of life skills. She assumed someone of his position to have a maid do the work for him.

''Here.'' Vito placed a plate of pasta on the coffee table and sat diagonally of her.

The aroma of the food made her mouth water. She thanked him and put the plate on her lap. Valentina took small bites and sat as straight as she possibly could. Her movements were very limited. So limited, it looked as if someone held her at gunpoint.

Vito did make her dinner and the gesture seemed kind on the surface, but the monotone and detached way he spoke in, was anything but that.

While Valentina was eating her dinner, Vito drank the rest of his espresso. He watched her as she ate every single piece of her meal so she wouldn't throw anything away.

In the past, Vito made the same mistake Valentina was making now. That mistake being, not properly eating when a relative had died. Her eating pattern affected her health in a negative way.

When Valentina was done, both of them stood up. Valentina went to the kitchen to wash the dishes and Vito went outside. After washing the dishes, including Vito's empty cup, she dried the tableware off with a cotton cloth and put them in their respective cabinets.

Valentina proceeded to take a shower and got dressed in her sleeping clothes. She exited the bathroom and began walking out of Vito's bedroom. The top drawer of the nightstand was slightly open and it caught Valentina's attention.

She bit her lip wanting to know what was in the drawer. Valentina mentally shook her head, telling herself it wasn't a good idea, but curiosity got the better of her.

Valentina slowly walked to the nightstand, her heart rate increasing with each step. Vito warned her not to get in his room is she had nothing to do there, but here she was. Valentina lifted her arm to open the drawer some more and see what was inside but froze at the sound of Vito's deep voice.

''Did you need something?''

Valentina dropped her arm to her side as if she was paralyzed. She didn't move a single muscle as she listened to his heavy footsteps coming closer. She didn't dare to speak, the words stuck in her throat. The sight of Vito's arm going past her made her tense up.

Now, the top drawer was fully closed.

''Did you?'' the tone of his voice had a dangerous edge to it.

''N-no.''

Vito turned her around roughly so she would face him and grabbed her by her chin. Valentina gulped audibly at his intense gaze. Vito's close proximity affected her to the point her temperature rose.

''This is the last time I see you in here.''