Chapter 17

Vito came home after having a long day of work behind his back. Work that mostly consisted of listening to acquaintances and friends who asked for protection from the Grimaldi mafia. Vito was as likely to give out a helping hand as he was to give a cold shoulder.

If he made a deal with someone, he would always weigh the costs and the benefits. The pros always had to outweigh the cons. If it wasn't, it wasn't favourable for him and the business.

A couple of years ago, Greg Armani asked for a favour from Vito. He asked him to let his little sister live with him if he were to die. On that day, the Don promised his friend to let Valentina live with him. Nothing more and nothing less.

Looking back on the promise made Vito release a humourless chuckle. Letting Valentina live with him had more drawbacks than benefits. She could give out valuable information if she got her hands on it and even if she wouldn't do it on purpose, it could happen on accident. It was a thought Vito kept in the back of his head.

He couldn't fully trust her and he wouldn't allow himself to do it.

As Vito walked into his bedroom, he noticed that the lights in the bathroom were on. He went back to the kitchen and washed his face there since the bathroom was occupied by Valentina. When he was done, he went back to his room to sleep. Vito tossed his watch, phone and gun on the nightstand next to his bed, unbuttoned his dress shirt, threw it on the other side of his bed, took his belt and pants off and got in bed.

With his eyelids shut, he waited for the darkness to consume him and fall asleep. The only thing keeping him from doing that was the sound of streams of water dropping on the surface. From the corner of his eyes, he checked the time on the digital clock.

Twenty minutes had passed and Valentina was still in the bathroom. By now, Vito was already sitting up and anxiously tapping his finger onto the mattress. She was longer in the bathroom than he was comfortable with. It made his mind go to a dark place.

Just as he was about to go to the bathroom, he heard the shower being turned off. A heavy sigh left him and raked a hand through his dark hair. His mood only worsened when the phone went off. He answered and was asked by Damian to come to a meeting with one of their allies. It wasn't anything out of the ordinary for their meetings to be late in the evening or in the early morning hours.

Vito clicked his tongue, "You can go. There is no need for me to be there as well.''

"I can't. I have other things to do,'' Damian replied.

"Others things to do,'' Vito repeated him under his breath, "We all know you don't. It's not like you have to take care of your family, ''

It was a hurtful comment.

"Damian, I-'' Before Vito got a chance to take back what he said his brother interrupted him.

"No, you're right.''

Vito didn't miss the emptiness in his voice and told him he was coming to the meeting. After all, he was the Don. He had to go even if he didn't want to. It was one of the many responsibilities he had as the leader of a criminal organization.

Vito put the phone next to him, stood up and put his pants back on. The lights of the bathroom were turned off and Valentina came out. His eyes locked with her captivating grey ones as he put his leather belt back on.

Valentina's lips parted at the sight of the man that had nothing else but dress pants on. Not because it was the first time she saw him in that state but because of the scars on his lean body. They were scars he got from being a prominent figure in the underworld.

"I told you before, don't take such long showers.''

Valentina heard him loud and clear. Compared to the last time he instructed her to not take long showers, he sounded grumpy instead of angry.

"I know. I'm sorry,'' Valentina wasn't even sure why she was apologising, "I was washing my hair so it took a little longer,'' Her voice got softer with each word.

After Vito got himself dressed, he turned around and told Valentina he was going. It made Valentina raise an eyebrow and followed him until they got to the foyer.

"Didn't you just come back?''

"Yes,'' He clipped and lifted his arm to open the entrance door.

"Wait,'' Valentina said all of a sudden as she held onto his navy blue dress shirt.

She didn't know what came over her, but she knew she wanted him to stay a little longer. Staying at home made her feel lonely. She wanted his company.

"When are you coming back?''

Vito looked over his shoulder, "I don't know.''

Valentina tightened her grip, "Is it dangerous?''

''That depends on others. I can only control a situation to a certain extent,'' He shrugged.

Valentina let go of him when he turned around to face her. She heard him sigh softly and watched him take a step closer. Only now, Vito got a clear view of the concern her eyes held.

"It is just a meeting, Valentina,'' He tried to reassure her.

Valentina felt her heart thud when Vito tucked a strand of hair behind her ear. Every time he touched her, she could feel herself heating up. She never knew what he was going to do next. His hand travelled to the side of her face and brushed against her flushed cheek.

Without thinking, Valentina leaned in. With her chest heaving up and down and her eyelids fluttering, she placed a gentle lingering kiss on his lips.

Valentina wasn't the only one surprised by her action. When she came to realise what she had done, she distanced herself from him. Valentina couldn't meet with those bewildered green eyes and looked at the floor.

"I-I'm sorry,'' Her lips were quivering.

What have I done? What was I thinking? I crossed the line, thoughts of regret formed in her head.

The black dress shoes appearing in Valentina's vision made her lift her head up. He wore the same expression he usually had. He seemed to be bored and indifferent about the situation. It reminded Valentina of the time she moved in with Vito. Once again, she had no idea what he was thinking.

"Why did you do that?'' His voice was calmer than Valentina expected.

It was as if Valentina lost the ability to speak. She couldn't get a single word out. She was afraid to tell him the truth. Afraid of the possible consequences.

"I like you,'' It was a lie.

"You don't trust me enough to tell me the truth?'' He questioned.

Valentina shook her head, "It's not like that-''

"I am not mad at you, Valentina.''

A wave of relief came over Valentina. In her eyes, she was making one mistake after another. So, she was glad he wasn't mad at her.

She could feel her cheeks flaring up once again at the sight of Vito leaning in. The tip of their noses brushed lightly against each other as he made the corner of her lips burn before leaving.