Chapter 27

In the evening, Valentina couldn't stop thinking of Lilly's phone call. She wondered if there was another party involved giving her orders. Telling her what she could and could not do. Valentina doubted it was anything all too shady. Lilly wasn't the type who was dishonest.

Why wasn't she able to tell me? Why wasn't she allowed to speak about something that was clearly eating at her? She's usually so steadfast when it comes to making decisions. Valentina sighed, not being able to come up with any answers.

She dropped herself on Vito's bed. Now also her bed. It would take some time to get used to the idea. In her head, Valentina wanted to be casual about it but it was futile. Even though Vito wasn't present, her heart fluttered at the thought of being closer to him in any way. It still baffled her how much he had opened up to her in comparison to the Vito she knew in the beginning.

With her eyes feeling heavy, she pulled the soft blanket up to her shoulders. Falling asleep took longer than it usually did. During the next few hours, she got taken out of her sleep several times. Sleeping in Vito's bed without him in it felt empty.

The next time she got woken up was because of a rustling sound. Slowly opening her eyes to see the cause of it, Valentina silently observed Vito putting a few papers in one of the drawers of his nightstand.

''Did I wake you?''

''Yes but not really,'' She said half-asleep.

Before long, Vito also got in bed. Valentina remained where she was. On the other side of the bed. Not completely sure if he would appreciate her snuggling up to him.

Vito hadn't made a move to be closer but only because he didn't want to force her into a position she didn't want to be in. He was sure Valentina would just tell him even if something like that would occur. In the past, Valentina had been clear about where she drew the line. While she did agree to sleep in the same bed, he would still wait for her to make the first move.

'Stay with me.' Valentina thought back on Vito's quiet plea to her.

Her doubts vanished from her head and she moved herself to be closer to Vito. Of course, she already had much more intimate moments with him but they were never in bed. A place where things between them could escalate much more quickly. Neither of them said a word. Valentina felt him wrap an arm around her waist as she let herself get consumed by the heat radiating from his body.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

A whole week had gone by before Valentina got to see Lilly in flesh again. For some unknown reason to Valentina, Lilly didn't come to school. An uncommon happening for her friend. Only when Valentina checked up on Lilly, she knew if her friend was okay. Lilly hadn't initiated any contact with others. It seemed like the girl wanted to be left alone for the time being. It bugged Valentina when Lilly finally came back to school, only to act like nothing happened.

''I wasn't gone for that long.'' Lilly said.

''By your standards, I wouldn't exactly say that. Lilly, are you sure everything is alright? Is it family problems?''

''You could say that.'' The sentence carried more weight than Valentina could realize.

''Does it have something to do with that time with your father? When he caught us in the garage.'' Guilt spread like wildfire inside Valentina.

''Valentina, stop it really! I told you it is fine. Seriously!'' Lilly sounded exasperated. ''I just wanted some time off school. You know, give myself a short break. Can we talk about something else now, please.''

''Sorry,''

Lilly shook her head and sent a tight smile in Valentina's direction, ''I know you mean well.''

Valentina stopped in her tracks and blinked a few times. She saw Vito sitting on one of the benches near the entrance.

''Can you wait here for a second?'' She requested before making her way to Vito.

He got up and the two met in the middle. Valentina asked him what he was doing at her college and where Luke and Kevin were.

''I needed them to do something for me. As of late, we are short on men.''

Valentia frowned, ''How come?''

''Quite a lot of soldiers who used to work under Christopher have been sent to prison.'' Vito kept his voice low, not wanting anyone nearby to hear the contents of their conversation.

Worry flowed through her veins. She wished the day where the same happened to Vito would never come. She shook her head as she knew Vito was a careful individual but she couldn't resist listening to her doubts.

''Will you be alright?''

''For now, it seems I'm clear but there is no doubt there is someone leaking out information. Otherwise, this wouldn't be happening. I'll be able to figure it out soon enough. There is no need for you to worry.''

It was quick but Valentina noticed the change of the air around Vito. The cold look in his eyes gave her goosebumps. It had been a while since she had seen him like that. Valentina turned her head to see who he was narrowing his eyes at.

''What is taking you so long?'' Lily strode up to Valentina.

''Nothing it's just-''

''I'm Lilly by the way.'' She introduced herself to Vito.

It was strange to see two different parts of her life colliding. Lilly knowing of Luke and Kevin was one thing but Vito was on a whole different level.

Vito regarded Lilly before asked Valentina if the blonde girl interrupting their previous conversation was the same friend who reported Coleman. When Valentina answered with 'yes', he seemed to grow even more cautious of Valentina's friend.

Lilly laughed awkwardly, '' I'm still here, you know. Are you going to tell me your name or not?''

''Stefano.''

Vito made sure to convey he didn't want Lilly's presence around him. She got the message and made up an excuse to leave the couple alone.