Chapter 5

''It's fine. I can call a taxi.''

''With all due respect, that will not do Miss Armani. The Don ordered us to accompany you if you were to leave the house.'' Kevin pointed at himself and Luke.

Kevin was one of the guards working in the Grimaldi mafia. It was his job to keep danger from her path.

Luke also worked for them, but he functioned more as a driver than a guard. He had been around in Grimaldi mafia since the beginning. Damian, the former Don, helped him when he was in desperate need of it.

''If you will.'' Luke opened the back door of the black car.

Luke's contagious smile carried over to Valentina. She had only known him for a few seconds but Valentina already took a liking to him. She got in the car and fastened her seatbelt. Kevin and Luke followed after her and stepped inside as well.

Kevin turned his head at the tap on his shoulder, "Yes, Miss?''

"What do I call you?'' she smiled shyly.

"Kevin is just fine and you can call him Luke,'' he pointed at the blonde driver, ''He will also be your guard. I'm stronger though.'' Kevin smirked.

Luke scoffed, "As if.''

Valentina giggled at the exchange between the two grown men.

Her arrival at school felt like a breath of fresh air. The simple change in environment made her mood lift up. As she walked with the two men right behind her, she felt others stare at her. It wasn't an everyday occurrence to see two buff men in suits walking the corridors of the college building.

Valentina ignored the stares and proceeded to the lecture hall. Her eyes skimmed the large hall, looking for a free seat. When she found one, she went to it and asked the guy sitting next to it if it was taken by someone else.

''Nope.''

With her lips turned upwards, Valentina dropped her handbag on the ground and filled up the empty seat. She took out a notebook and pencil from her handbag and placed it on the wooden-like surface of the desk. While she waited for the lesson to start she quickly glanced at Luke, who stood like a statue next to the entrance, and Kevin who scanned the room from in the top-right corner of the lecture hall.

Valentina straightened her position and picked up her pencil when she heard the teacher speak up. A few minutes later, Valentina stopped writing down notes. From her peripheral vision, Valentina noticed the guy next to her watching her. She faced him and raised a single eyebrow. The only reaction she got out of him was an arrogant smirk.

He liked what he saw and wanted a piece of it.

It wasn't until later, the young man wished he never laid his eyes on Valentina.

Valentina forced herself to focus back on the lecturer and continued taking notes.

I wonder what he is doing now, a sudden thought popped up.

When her classes ended, she put her handbag on her shoulder and left. On their way home, Valentina asked Luke to pull over at a store where she could buy some self-care products. She got what she wanted, paid for it and headed home again.

"Finally!'' Kevin said while looking at the familiar area, ''You took thirty minutes over something that should have taken fifteen,'''

Luke rolled his eyes, "I'm a driver. Not a racer.''

"What do you think, Miss?'' Kevin looked at Valentina through the rearview.

"I think it was just fine,'' she shrugged, ''And you don't have to call me Miss.''

"Actually, we do.'' Kevin winked playfully, ''Boss' orders.''

They drove the hill up and reached the Don's house. Valentina went inside after waving goodbye to her guards and put her bags in her room.

She decided to sit back for a while before she would study again. She turned the television on and zapped through the channels. After a few minutes, the remote was tossed to the side as a spy movie played on the flatscreen.

Valentina leaned back and felt that something was out of place. Turning around, she spotted Vito's black suit jacket lying on the couch. She picked it up to place it further away from her, but stopped moving when saw him.

Vito stepped closer as he looked at her troubled grey eyes. It was evident she thought she was caught red-handed for touching his belongings.

"I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to tou-'' Valentina began to explain her actions but was cut off by Vito.

"Drop it.''

Valentina's eyebrows drew together in confusion, ''On the couch?''

For a millisecond, a faint smile appeared on his face out of amusement. A smile so faint, Valentina missed to catch it.

"I was talking about your apology.''

"Oh,'' she said as Vito took his suit jacket out of her hands and sat on the other end of the couch.

Valentina noticed his hair was wet and dishevelled. It made her want to run her hand through it.

Vito switched channels to watch the news. He had to check what information was shown to the public and what was not. It was important for a leader to be informed about everything. The police had been on their tails and it made him even more cautious than before.

"Be cautious around policemen.''

As strange as it might have sounded, Valentina did understand where he came from. His advice didn't need to be said out loud. She already planned on avoiding the police from the start.

''I will.''

''You should also be careful around people who do not wear a blue uniform. Keep in mind that everyone is a suspect.''

"Like detectives?'' she asked and Vito nodded in response.

Either way, she will not be able to give away any information even if they did get their hands on her, Vito thought to himself.