Chapter 32

Two months later

The bathwater had become lukewarm, but Valentina didn't get out. She moved the foam around with her hands. The soap she used was the same one Vito used. The scent comforting her. She held onto the few traces Vito left of himself in the house.

Vito got a five-year sentence for the federal crime of money laundering. Some would say he got off lucky. The scarce amount of evidence that was used as proof for Vito's other crimes, didn't hold up in court. Now that Vito was behind bars, his brother took his leading role over. It was Damian's duty as the underboss to be the acting boss when the Don was in no position to do so.

Valentina wanted to visit him but he had forbidden her from doing so. Vito instructed Damian to keep her away. He didn't want anyone from the prison remembering her face. To him, keeping her safe from his enemies was of higher importance than being able to see Valentina in person.

Valentina stepped out of the bathtub, dried herself and got dressed. She went to the kitchen to fix dinner. It had been a while since she sat down to eat a proper meal. The last time she was like this was when she just started living with Vito. Valentina wasn't handling his absence well. Once again, not taking care of her health. The only difference from now and then was that she had Vito looking out for her.

In the past month, Valentina had been sleeping in her old bed. Sleeping in the bed she once shared with Vito would've made her feel more lonely than anything else. Her actions contradicted themselves. On one hand, she would use the same soap as him, but on the other, she refused to sleep in that one place.

The sound of her phone going off rang throughout the house. Valentina turned on her heel and walked in long strides to her old bedroom to pick up the call. The unknown number showing up on the lit-up screen turned her expression into one of puzzlement.

''Yes?''

''Valentina,''

Valentina could recognize Vito's rich voice in an instant. She bit the inside of her cheek and moved over to sit on the soft bed. Wishing she it wasn't her imagination going wild. Valentina specifically remembered Damian telling her how Vito wasn't allowed to make any calls to the outside world.

''How did you- I thought you were forbidden to call anyone,'' Valentina said and heard him release a low laugh.

''You know me better than to think that would stop me. I'm using a burner phone.'' He explained, ''How are you doing, Valentina?''

''Me? I'm fine but nevermind that. How are you?''

''Don't lie to me. Even if I can't see you now, my ears work perfectly fine. You're taking care of yourself, right?'' Vito picked up her slight change in her tone whenever she was untruthful.

Valentina opened her mouth to deny the truth but shut it the second he started speaking again.

''Fucking hell, Valentina. You're doing it again. Don't fall when things get hard.'' His tone of voice stern, ''It's not as if I'm dead. I'll come back.''

Tears welled up in her eyes. She knew he wouldn't be gone forever, but hearing him say he would come back, gave her a hopeful outlook. A tender smile formed on her lips. She would wait for him until he came back home.

''I'll do better. I'll be better,'' Valentina's said softly.

''Good.''

''Vito?''

''Yes?''

''Can I ask you something? If you don't want to talk about it then it's totally fine. I don't-''

''Just ask. You don't have to hold back with me,'' Vito sighed.

''What is it like in there?''

Vito wondered where her hesitance came from. He knew she was the curious type. Vito guessed she thought it was a taboo topic.

''For the first month, I was kept in complete isolation. After that things got easier. It's fine if you follow the rules and if you don't, you just have to make sure not to get caught. Besides, there are plenty of guards who can be bribed. The law doesn't rule this place, money does.''

''And what about your cell?''

''I have nothing to complain about. I'm not sharing it with anyone. They want to keep me separate from the soldiers who are also in the same prison.''

''What about your brother? Is he also there?''

''I don't see Christopher all too often, but he is the one who gave me this phone. He's housed in the same block as me. There are inmates here who are in organized crime. Mostly, people from higher ranks.''

''Is there a way for you to get out earlier?''

''I'm looking into it, but don't get your hopes up.''

Valentina switched the phone to her other hand and laid on her back. She was doing exactly what he told her not to. She wanted him to be beside her. Valentina lowered her eyelids and wiped the trickling tears away with her hands.

''I'm sorry. I- I miss you,'' Valentina said with a shaky breath.

''There's only one thing I can promise you now, Valentina. I'll make sure this will be my last visit to this place.'' The cold tone in his voice sent chills throughout her body.

In Vito's world, rats weren't people who would survive the game they started. It was normal for him to make the people who crossed him pay for it. It was in his nature to be revengeful. Vito didn't have a single drop of good intentions when it came to Finn Belote and Philip Coleman. The moment he got out of prison, he'd personally take care of the detective. As for Finn, Vito would give out an order to one of his soldiers to finish him. While the Don was carefully kept away from his soldiers, he still had means of communication with them.

''You'll be there when I get back.'' He said.

Valentina nodded, ''I will.''

''I need to hang up. The guards do regular check-ups and they usually come around this time. Take care of yourself, Valentina. I'm serious.''

When are you not? His last words made Valentina laugh quietly. It was nothing out of the ordinary for him to be serious.

The call didn't last as long as Valentina would've liked, but it was still better than nothing. She would count the days until he got released from prison.