Chapter 23

By the time Valentina reached home, it was already late in the afternoon. The sky was dark and Valentina could feel the cold breeze when she stepped out of the car. On her way to the front door, she felt the rain falling on her cheeks. Quickening her pace, she moved her hand to grab the house key from her handbag but there wasn't anything to grab it out of. 

"Miss Armani, you forgot your handbag,'' Luke said once he caught up with Valentina and gave it to her.

It was unlike her to be forgetful, so a sheepish smile appeared on her face, "Thank you, Luke.''

"Always,'' Luke returned a smile and turned to park the car.

Valentina also turned around, used the key, twisted it and got inside. The parka jacket hung on the coat rack and her shoes were tossed to the side. Seconds before Valentina was about to leave the foyer, the front door was opened once again. This time by Vito. The breath Valentina was holding in was released when she saw who entered the house. 

Vito moved his gaze over to Valentina and looked her up and down. He checked out what she was wearing and stopped at the sight of her cream-coloured handbag. 

"Did you just come home or are you leaving now?'' 

"Just came home,''  

Vito only hummed in response and moved to the living room with Valentina. He ran a hand over his face, unbuttoned the first few buttons of his white formal shirt and seated himself on the sofa. 

Valentina took a seat beside him and asked if something had happened. The composed look Vito usually gave off was replaced with something else and she couldn't quite put her finger on it. It made her feel concerned about him. The only thing she could think of to help him in any kind of way was to lend a sympathetic ear. 

"Nothing,'' He said and rested his head on Valentina's lap. 

Of course, he's going to say that, Valentina thought to herself.

Unlike last time, Valentina wasn't as nervous with Vito resting on her lap. She lifted her hand and raked her fingers through his dark hair. To her surprise, it was much softer than she expected it to be. She continued moving her hand through his hair since he didn't seem to mind it. In fact, he liked it and a content sigh left him. 

"If something is bothering you, you can tell me,'' She said in a gentle tone making Vito open his eyes. 

"It doesn't matter,'' 

He doesn't budge, she thought.

"It does if it bothers you,'' She said in a more serious tone. 

Vito broke eye contact and took her words in. Without realizing it, the girl in front of him got to know him better than he thought she did. While he still wore the same expression as always and rarely spoke about his emotions, the little actions he made from time to time let Valentina know if something was on his mind.

After a few minutes of silence in the room, Vito told her about his brother's drinking problem. Valentina got to hear how he didn't want to see Damian destroy himself. He didn't want alcohol taking over his brother's senses. 

''Either way, it's his problem,''

It didn't take long for Valentina to recover after hearing Vito's cold words. It wasn't the first time he distanced himself from others and vice versa. Valentina was trying her best to understand his thought process. One thing was clear to her, he didn't want to be too emotionally attached to others.

"There were some men talking about you,''

"Me?'' Her voice instantly got weaker.

''They talked about sleeping with you,'' He said with distaste in his mouth.

Vito focused on the pair of silver eyes and laid his right hand on top of hers. He watched them flutter under his strong gaze. 

"Not that it was ever going to happen,'' He said while sitting up and putting his feet on the ground.

The possibility of Valentina being taken by someone else didn't even exist in his mind. She was his, and he was hers. 

"Vito,'' She tugged on his rolled-up sleeve. 

She didn't have to say anything else, her longing look said enough. She wanted to take things a step further. Her body yearned for him and wasn't in any state to deny it. 

Soon, they locked lips with each other. Valentina gasped as she felt her blouse being taken off by Vito. When he used his tongue, he took control. By now, Valentina laid with her back on the couch and Vito was right above her. His hand was slowly moving across her flushed body as he heard her soft moans. 

Valentina could feel herself becoming aroused. Her thoughts were fogged and she was completely engrossed in the moment. A shiver ran through her as he began planting possessive kisses from her neck to her lower stomach. 

Wanting more, Vito moved his hand and undid her skinny jeans. He took notice of her breath hitching when he took her pants off and placed his cold hands against her thighs. He hooked his finger onto her lace undergarment to take it off but before doing so he looked Valentina in the eyes. After she gave a delicate nod, he continued taking the piece of clothing off of her. 

Before Valentina got the time to mentally prepare herself. Vito was already using his tongue to please her. Her cheeks were red and her chest was heaving up and down. It was the first time, Valentina felt her core become this wet. She arched her back when she felt like she was close to coming and when she did come, her body felt weak and fragile. 

Vito held her underwear out for her to take so she took it and used it to cover herself again. When she tried reaching for her blouse and skinny jeans, Vito stopped her. He unbuttoned his white dress shirt, took it off and let it engulf Valentina's frame. He pulled her over to sit on his lap and closed the buttons, one by one. 

"I'm tired,'' She rested her head on his chest. 

Valentina heard him hum and closed her eyes. His large hand stroking her thigh was soothing and made her even more sleepy. Not much later, Valentina fell asleep in his arms.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the city, Philip was telling Miguel about an anonymous phone call. It was a report that would have dire consequences for Vito Grimaldi even though the report wasn't about him or anyone part of the Grimaldi mafia.