CHAPTER 1

||New Life||

Faye

Numbers. Symbols and interpretation. Does mathematics makes you shiver in disgust or freeze your brain cell?

I won't judge.

Not all brain are gifted like Einstein or Galileo who can devour an imaginary equations in second. Do you still remember the weary nights when you can't even answer a simple series or connect the points on Cartesian Plane!

You're not alone.

Fortunately, I'm one of those brain who can solve a math equations every board activity my professor with arthritis gave.

Average. I can consider myself as that.

Though my heart always been in writing stories, here I am munching million numbers, analyzing our annual report.

My brows creased as I focused my attention to the computer, fingers twerking a pen. I reread and recompute all entries, then wrote a report to be sent to our head department. Precision and focus were all you needed for this job and willingness to sacrifice a meal if necessary.

"Faye, lunch time?" Sandra, my office mate, peeked at my office door. I looked up to my closest saw how attractive she was in her pink coat and skirt-- her words, not mine. Not that I'm against to her fruity and flowery clothing or something.

"I'm gonna finish this up, then we can go," I quirked at her direction. She stumped her feet childishly.

"C'mon, I'm hungry!" she pouted. I chuckled.

"Hungry for something? " I winked, "or for someone? Teasing her, earning a flushed face. She turned around tucking a red hair while I burst to giggles.

Sandra became my closest friend since I started working in the company. It all started one afternoon, the date I applied for the position as an internal auditor in G&F Accounting Firm. When its my turn for the interview, I realized I left my blazer in my condo! That time, I was busy over thinking things that I forgot the most important piece in my attire.

When she noticed me freaking out and ready to faint, she offered her coat. Then, bingo! Instant friendship! We became inseparable since then. She was the only person in line of hopeful applicants who showed me mercy-bless her soul. I saw her as my guardian angel that day when she shove her red coat to my face--not my taste in color--I didn't knew why we clicked as friends but my hunch? We're both weird in a way.

After the interview, I landed the job as years went by, I was promoted to higher position. This year I became a senior auditor which equivalent to a manager in a department.

After I wrapped up my paper works, we proceeded to cafeteria for a hearty lunch where Sandra, obviously, met with Edwin Cole, our IT specialist. My thirty minutes in cafeteria were all filled up with their cheesy banter, while I'm left out eating an overstuffed salad in peace. Its all my moments in my one year in the city. And I didn't knew if I love it or hate it.

Maybe both?

○○○

Later that day...

"Are you sure you aren't comin'? Sandra can come too. The more, the merrier," Joy asked me, again this week. She was our Head of department. Two words to describe her; funny and smart.

All her friends and few of our colleagues were going to a nightclub to chill. They said its their little treat since we're doing a rough week for a big project.

I grinned and apologetically said,

"I'm actually busy." I bit my lips.

Liar!

"Sorry... You guys enjoy the night, yeah?" My eyes traveled to her friends waiting in the van. I waved to them.

I saw few couples in smoochy embrace.

"Are you sure? It could be fun," she half plead. If I'm being honest, I can go with them but as I knew myself, I'm a kill joy person. So, no. Plus I'm still enjoying myself being alone. Just thinking about my life in general.

"Thank you. I think I'm gonna pass for now. Next time. I promise!"

"Okay. Have a nice day!" she flashed her white teeth then sauntered away to her friends. They gave me their last wave then drove away.

I sighed. This is you. Get use it Faye! My head reminded me. Walking to the elevator, punching the last floor, I leaned down feeling exhausted. Staring to the panel, the elevator's arrow going up in smooth ascent, I blew an air. How ironic. My arrow is pointing downward.

Three years ago, I moved to the crazy pot of the city. Its my biggest decision to taste a new life and clear my mind from a bad breakup. Eric. My ex fiance. Its a complicated and draining breakup actually. So, after a year of coping, I decided to apply for a job fitted to my degree in Accounting and Finance. I attended different workshops and seminars and even enrolled short courses every weekends to occupy my mind.

There were times when some man flirted at me or threw obvious interest but as much as I want to, I can't.

Hesitation flooded my gut from dating any man after the breakup. Trust issue. My view to any man plummeted to zero. I can't trust enough more than a friend.

Driving to the familiar street of the commercial complex I lived in, has a soothing effect on my tense back. Thinking about sleeping or a hot shower put me to ease.

Another day ended.

○●○

My body laid on my plush couch. Lazily, my legs dangling as I set my laptop on my stomach. Chips scattered on my side. Munching, I browsed to different fastfood chains, looking for another hunt of unhealthy food. Spotting one, I read the adds and discounts or freebies-if there is. Next thing I looked for any online shopping sites, that's for my pay day shopping spree. Its my typical life in my apartment.

I'm maybe earning a higher salary than in my previous job as a published writer but my life in the city was all boredom. I only have a bunch of acquaintances who in my judgment were not really my type of people I would love to hang out with. So my weekends were all spent with Netflix marathon and online surfing. Sundays was for my grocery day with Sandra since we lived in same complex area.

After a solid four hours of surfing on the internet, I decided to retire to my room for a good night sleep. A warm shower, then I hit my soft pillows, four pairs of Bear Bare stuff toys. Smiling into it as I snuggled it with sigh.

I guess its really my favorite time of the day. Sleeping.

---

Vote/comments.
Anything is GOLD for me.